User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Next iMacs
Metropolis Man

2007-01-04, 11:00

I'm in the market for another iMac — I currently have a 20" G5 iMac which I absolutely love. It's a rocket compared to the 15" sunflower G4 iMac I also have. That one has been given role of the computer for my 3 daughters, but when I'm not on the G5, guess which one they choose? Throw my wife into the picture and sometimes there just isn't the amount needed for the demand.

I won't have the $ for another iMac for probably 3 months, so I can't see settling for the current model — not that it wouldn't suit my family's needs. But, in 3-4 months I can't imagine it being much more of a wait for a refresh. I might as well wait to see what's next at that point.

I was curious when most of you think a refresh might happen, and what some of the guts might consist of. Thanks.
JKitterman

2007-01-04, 11:14

I would think just small changes like a video card refresh/upgrade and the ability for more memory. Most likely, 4Gb would be upper limit spread over 2 slots. With Leopard right around the corner, I would like to see 4 memory slots supporting up to 8 Gb but I really don't think that would happen.
steve77uk

Send a message via AIM to steve77uk Send a message via MSN to steve77uk Send a message via Skype™ to steve77uk 
2007-01-04, 12:13

I often wonder if they would change the design of the iMac Range, to be honest yeah, it may get slimmer, bit sleaker but how could they wow us with a new design??? Could it get much better? I mean the main wow was the base unit dissapearing, but there is no where else for that to disappear to now...

I think they will just keep tweaking the current model for a bit longer after all they have just done the 24" model and their insides are different to the 20" and belows...

Who knows what they will get up to in the near future, but I seriously doubt they will change the design in the next 6 months...?
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-01-04, 13:35

If the 24" is a big enough seller for them, I can see them trying a 30" at some point. But probably not in the next 6 months. At that time, I would expect the 17" to disappear. Unless of course sales of those are still really high.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2007-01-04, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
If the 24" is a big enough seller for them, I can see them trying a 30" at some point. But probably not in the next 6 months. At that time, I would expect the 17" to disappear. Unless of course sales of those are still really high.
I think a 30 inch iMac is very unlikely. Killing off the 17 inch is even more unlikely.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-01-04, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I think a 30 inch iMac is very unlikely. Killing off the 17 inch is even more unlikely.
I'm not so sure. LCD prices are still falling. If you can get a big screen for nothing, what's the point of having your computer integrated in a 17" screen. Design can't justify everything. I mean everybody will go for a headless mac (or pc) with a huge screen.

Maybe not right now but in a near (1-2 years) futur, I predict the death a the 17"

Dave Mustaine :"God created whammy bars for people who don't know how to solo."
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-01-04, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
I mean everybody will go for a headless mac...
Too bad a decent alternative doesn't exist. HAR!
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-01-04, 14:57

I could see the 17" living for a while in the education world, but for business and home, 19-20" seems to be the new standard. I would venture a guess that the margins on the 17" are shrinking already, and eventually it will no longer be cost effective to make them - unless you artificially raise the price on 19-20" panels, which will put you at a competitive disadvantage. And the more these things migrate into the living room and double as movie/tv viewers, bigger is better.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-01-04, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Too bad a decent alternative doesn't exist. HAR!
My Mac Pro is a decent machine

I know what you mean... let's start another "mid-range, headless mac" thread !

Last edited by dmegatool : 2007-01-04 at 16:10.