User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Aluminum & Glass

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Aluminum & Glass
Apple Rocks The Socks

Send a message via MSN to Apple Rocks The Socks Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Rocks The Socks 
2008-04-23, 00:30

Hey ive recently started my Blog Aluminum & Glass and im trying to get some more readers
So i thought that some of you guys and galls would be interested since its all about Apple. I try to put a new post every day, my blog features news, tips, and tricks. Hope you like it please check it out!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-04-23, 01:32

Since you're posting it here and it couldn't possibly a shameless act of self-proportion, I'm assuming you want some feedback...

The picture at the top is HUGE. It fills my entire browser window; I have to scroll down to see anything. And the image, and several other ones on your website, are ripped straight from Apple.com. I'm guessing you don't have their permission, and they're copyrighted images...

That said, launching any blog is a huge undertaking, one that I have wanted to do for years and never completed, so good work, and best of luck in the future.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
iFerret

Send a message via MSN to iFerret Send a message via Skype™ to iFerret 
2008-04-23, 01:43

Okay.

The image at the top is huuuuuge, and that breaks a few internet rules, but I don't mind. Try a 'tighter crop' on the iMac if you can.

There's a couple of grammar and spelling issues, but I can't really talk.

Overall I like it. Hopefully it will be more successful than my blogs (which school forced me to close down).
wecallitfall

2008-04-23, 06:47

I like the name of the site

the only thing i would say if you want some feedback is that from the quick flick through the site then i noticed that there wasnt really much different to every other Apple blog out there

ive seen most of those stories on TUAW, MacRumors, Engadget, The Apple Blog, 9 to 5 Mac etc etc

although things like the latest post like little tips are always helpful, but you just got to find a way to differentiate from every other Apple 2.0 blog out there

autumns sweet, we call it fall, i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl...
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-04-23, 09:06

You need to work on your punctuation and spelling. It's not that bad, but you still make a lot of minor mistakes. For instance, take this post:

Quote:
The Italian newspaper La Repubblica, says that he iPhone is coming to Italy. The provider is said to be Telecom Italia and they will not be sharing revenue with Apple. The contract is apparently not going to be long term, but it will be 3G.
It should look more like this:

Quote:
The Italian newspaper La Repubblica says that the iPhone is coming to Italy. The provider is said to be Telecom Italia; they will not be sharing revenue with Apple. The contract is apparently not going to be long-term, but the iPhone will be 3G.
Also, you should clarify the "it will be 3G" statement. The way it's written now implies that the contract is going to be 3G, but that makes no sense. You'd have to change the way it's written to specify that the iPhone itself will be going 3G, but you have to explain that more thoroughly. Is Apple releasing new 3G hardware? Is this a hacked 3G version of the iPhone? It seems too important for just one phrase at the end of the article.

EDIT: Even the last line of your most recent post has a problem:

Quote:
enjoy you beautified stacks
That should be "enjoy your beautified stacks." You really need to do more than run a spell check.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-04-23, 09:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Since you're posting it here and it couldn't possibly a shameless act of self-proportion...

I do it all the time, shamelessly tout my self's proportions.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-04-23, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post

I do it all the time, shamelessly tout my self's proportions.

LOLOLOLOL

I'm glad I didn't mention anything about his spelling; that would be super-hypocritical.

Self-promotion. Ahem.
Apple Rocks The Socks

Send a message via MSN to Apple Rocks The Socks Send a message via Skype™ to Apple Rocks The Socks 
2008-04-23, 18:41

LoL yeah i no my spelling and grammar needs lots of work, and i didn't find the header to be to large but maybe thats just me, thanks for the suggestions illl take them into consideration.
Kyros

2008-04-23, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Rocks The Socks View Post
LoL yeah i no my spelling and grammar needs lots of work, and i didn't find the header to be to large but maybe thats just me, thanks for the suggestions illl take them into consideration.
It may help you get into the habit if you start paying attention to your spelling and grammar in your forum posts, too .

I agree on the header being way, way too big. As a reference, I'd say I should be able to see the entire picture of Steve Jobs in the current post without scrolling down on my 1024 x 768 screen, which means the banner needs to be about 1/3 to 1/4 its size. Or, as another reference, the AppleNova forum banner is perfect, small and unobtrusive, and it's still stylish!
Boomerangmacuser

2008-04-24, 14:58

Quote:
Are you blogging from a 24" iMac or using a 30" ACD???
Apple Rocks The Socks

2008-04-24, 19:02

20" Apple cinema display
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-04-24, 20:09

Quote:
LoL yeah i no my spelling and grammar needs lots of work
They don't just need work. You have to put more than zero effort at all into making your blog readable. Your spelling is so bad right now that few Mac users are even going to bother giving your blog a second look. Mac users like to think of themselves as being a bit more sophisticated than your average computer user… why would they bother reading a blog that looks like it's being written by someone who just doesn't care?

Seriously. "Revinew"? The most basic spell-checking utility would have caught that mistake. Even if you fixed the major errors like that, your writing style is still pretty ambiguous and poorly structured. I can't even focus on the content of your posts because I am distracted by the errors and poor sentence structure.

I don't intend for this to be an insult to you. It's simply the truth—constructive criticism. You will never get any readers if you don't completely overhaul your writing. Put some time into proofreading your posts and making sure they are correct. Hell, I'll even proofread them for you if you post them in this thread. Just ask and I'll do it, as long as they're not too terribly long.
dfiler
Veteran Member

2008-04-25, 12:58

The most valuable real estate on any web page is that which visible without scrolling. It should be used, as much as possible, for actual content.

So I'll have to 3rd (or is it 4th) the comment that the header is waaaay too big.

Excellent overall look to the website otherwise though. It is very appealing to look at.

A common mistake which you seem to have nicely avoided, is the tendency to add lots of crap just to make the page look more impressive. It is nice to see clean design!
Apple Rocks The Socks

2008-04-25, 13:13

I appreciate the criticism but the thing is i do read over my posts and i do care allot about them, its hard for me because i have Dysgraphia but i try my best. This weekend i will be adjusting my blog and fixing things like the header and all the spelling mistakes i can find thanks for letting me no i had no idea it was that bad :S
¡Damned!

2008-04-25, 13:20

I got exactly this far

Quote:
; they achived a revinew of $7.51 billion dollars!
before hitting Command-W.

You really need to learn to spell correctly, or at the very least take advantage of a spell-checker. It's off-putting.

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2008-04-25, 13:28

Quote:
I appreciate the criticism but the thing is i do read over my posts and i do care allot about them, its hard for me because i have Dysgraphia but i try my best.
Well, that certainly sucks, and I'm sorry to hear that. That's no excuse for as much misspelling as you seem to do, though. Not in today's age of automagic spell-checking.

So it goes.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2008-04-25, 13:42

Just to throw in a suggestion.

I don't consider myself dysgraphic in any way, but when I was publishing trade newsletters, as a trainee at the Danish embassy in Vilnius. I always had my fellow trainee proof read my newsletters, and in return I read though his political newsletters.

Maybe you should consider if there where somebody you could ask to do that for you. It doesn't necessarily have to be a fellow Apple nerd, it could also be a real life friend. In fact, having a non-nerd reading your prospective posts might also catch phrases and wordings that are too dependent on inside knowledge about the Mac scene. After all. The Mac veterans will probably stick with Gruber anyway, so you might as well market yourself as a friendly resource for the newcomers.

Apple Rocks The Socks

2008-04-25, 13:59

That is a great suggestion, i wasn't sure of the direction of my blog at first so i figured reporting the latest news would be sufficient, but now the more i look at it... its all been done before e.g. Gizmodo, Mac Rumors, and Engadget. Helping out new and soon to be Mac users with the occasional news like when new products come out seams the best way to go. Thanks allot for all of your help you guys! Any other Suggestions?