iPad 4 & iPad Mini

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad 4 & iPad Mini
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Partial
Stallion

2012-10-23, 13:14

Discuss!

The mini is going to be the biggest product in Apple's lineup within a year or two, in my opinion. I love everything about it. I know that I will be purchasing at least 3 for Christmas gifts.

I love the idea of shifting the iPad update to before Christmas. Without question, it is the most practical gift in the lineup based on cost, lack of long term commitment, etc.

In general, I'm quite pleased with the iPad mini.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-10-23, 13:21

Very interesting announcement and tons of analysis can be done and the way Apple did this and how they have laid out these product lines.

A few points:

1. 9.7" iPad sales are going to plummet. The design has always felt a bit cumbersome and heavy, made worse by the generation 3 design... which seemingly carries over to the generation 4 design.

2. $329 price is odd but I think entirely driven by Apple's fear of financial performance. If Apple didn't care about their stock price and investor reaction for a quarter or two they would have priced this at $299, but I think Apple did $329 strictly on a minimum acceptable margin basis. This product is going to drastically lower Apple's average selling price. Investors have been scared about that, and this is going to do it quickly. They could not do that and at the same time have the new cause for that be drastically lower margin.

3. I'm shocked the iPad 2 is still around. My only explanation is that Apple probably knows that the upsell to the 9.7" iPad is going to be harder, and at least keeping one at the $399 pricepoint helps. Still an oddball product that in the middle of a hell of a lot of SKUs.

4. The proportions and size of the iPad Mini just look right

5. Really amazing how Apple can mock smaller tablets for 2 years and then turn around and do this and claim how amazing it is. I understand their arguments, I understand it's actually closer to 8", but I still find it entertaining.

6. iPad updates are likely to shift to Fall as I predicted.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-10-23, 13:23

iPad 4th gen seems to be the same as the iPad 3rd gen, but with A6x and Lighting.

I suppose some people will be surprised that it's not thinner and lighter, but I'm not. The whole point of two iPads seems to be that one's a powerhouse, and one is thin and light.

But overall it was exactly what I expected. Weight (or lack thereof) was how they sold it. Price was an afterthought, nor does the price scream "bargain." It's a thinner and lighter iPad, the fact that it's cheaper is a bonus, not the main attraction.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-10-23, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
iPad 4th gen seems to be the same as the iPad 3rd gen, but with A6x and Lighting.

I suppose some people will be surprised that it's not thinner and lighter, but I'm not. The whole point of two iPads seems to be that one's a powerhouse, and one is thin and light.
I think this a really strong line up. It will be interesting to see how the Mini hands on, though, I might still be more of a 4th gen type myself.

I'm a little lukewarm on how the screen size of the apps will adapt, but my guess is that the huge number Apple is going to sell will convince almost every app developer out there to accommodate it soon enough.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2012-10-23, 14:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugge View Post

I'm a little lukewarm on how the screen size of the apps will adapt, but my guess is that the huge number Apple is going to sell will convince almost every app developer out there to accommodate it soon enough.
From what I saw, no accommodation should be necessary as the screen resolution is still 1024x768, just like the iPad 2.
Partial
Stallion

2012-10-23, 14:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPoit View Post
From what I saw, no accommodation should be necessary as the screen resolution is still 1024x768, just like the iPad 2.
PPI is different and could make a difference in the "point" system apple uses for very precise touches. Realistically, I don't think it will be a big deal. Then again, Apple was careful not to change the PPI of the iPhone 5 and is using a weird res as a result.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-10-23, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
PPI is different and could make a difference in the "point" system apple uses for very precise touches. Realistically, I don't think it will be a big deal. Then again, Apple was careful not to change the PPI of the iPhone 5 and is using a weird res as a result.
Well, if the Mini is mostly aimed at kids and people who find the regular iPad too heavy, then I suppose that the typical Mini user finger tip will also be smaller. Personally I would probably be better off with a regular sized one.
Partial
Stallion

2012-10-23, 15:12

I don't think the iPad mini is necessarily aimed at kids. That is a perk. It's going to be huge with everyone. Women will love it. Readers will love it. Men will love it.

It is actually going to be easier to thumb type than on the full size one. I pretty much like everything about it. I think it's a superior product. The specs aren't as good, and I may change my opinion once I use one, but it basically handles the very few complaints I have about the iPad.

Quagmire
meh

2012-10-23, 15:15

As to the rumors, there is now a 12W charger.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...r?fnode=3c&p=1
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-10-23, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial View Post
I don't think the iPad mini is necessarily aimed at kids. That is a perk. It's going to be huge with everyone. Women will love it. Readers will love it. Men will love it.
And Partial nails it. It's not about specs, it's about the fact that it's nicer to use.

I was one of the biggest opponents of an iPad mini, and I was wrong. It's not the iPad for me but it is the iPad for just about everyone else. Because whatever normal is, I'm not it.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-10-23, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Because whatever normal is, I'm not it.
I'll agree with that!

Otherwise, going to be a stupidly popular product. They'll move 10 million this quarter at $329. They'd move 10 million and 53 at $299.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
adamb
Formerly “adambrennan”

2012-10-23, 17:38

I think it's interesting having the same fundamental specs as the iPad 2 as Apple seem to really be going down the pathway of limiting new iOS features to the latest devices. Are they going to be able to cut the iPad 2 off as soon or as easily as expected using the hardware excuse?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-10-23, 18:02

Looks like a decent update, but I think I'll be holding onto the 6 month old iPad 3, old new iPad or whatever they want them called now.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-10-24, 13:25

I think the omission of GPS from the WiFi models is becoming more glaring as time goes by. Especially against the competition.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2012-10-24, 13:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
I think the omission of GPS from the WiFi models is becoming more glaring as time goes by. Especially against the competition.
It helps Apple sell the more lucrative cellular models.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-10-24, 13:57

I'm not sure it does. I don't know if anyone really buys it thinking they need the GPS but I'm sure that is Apple's logic.

But location services have become very critical to the mobile device experience, and especially with the iPad mini, these devices are being used all over, and the GPS provides a much better experience and permits far more creative applications and usage.

Just seems odd this many years in that GPS hasn't just become standard on all iOS devices. I think it should even be included on Macs.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-10-24, 14:53

I'm with BU on this one. I'm very disappointed that they didn't include GPS with the WiFi models. I know it allows Apple to keep the same chipset since the GPS is part of the cellular module IIRC but it's really a missed point if you asked me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-10-24, 16:51

We should all feel a little sympathy towards Apple retail employees this week as they are probably getting pounded by every jackass who bought an iPad 3 the past couple months and thinks they are entitled to exchange it for the new one. I was in NYC yesterday and stopped by the Soho store to charge my phone a little and already witnessed it with the iMac and this was only two hours or so after the announcement. Plus there was a grumpy German guy there who wanted to buy an unlocked iPhone 5 and wasn't too happy with the answer. I didn't stay long.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-24, 23:02

You gotta admit, the iPad 4 thing came out of nowhere. I thought, at most, it would simply get a Lightning connector so Apple can cleanly move the entire line of (new) iDevices over to this design in one month's time (which they handled really well; just a little over six weeks ago, we had no idea what in the hell a "Lightning" connector was...fast-forward to today, and now anything new and handheld from Apple is sporting it). Impressive.

The A6x and all the rest was unexpected. I don't know...if I bought an iPad 3 a few weeks ago, based on three years of history/patterns, I'd be a little "hmmm..." about it. But I'd like to think I wouldn't get all cranky and bent out of shape that I couldn't exchange it. I'd try to remember "this is tech...no guarantees, no promises. Stuff changes when it changes, hold on tight and roll with it " (or find another hobby or something else to spend your money on).

I do think the full-size iPad got this quicker, surprise update to throw it far enough ahead of the mini so that everyone wouldn't just completely abandon it for the new, smaller one. Think about it...had they just left the full-size iPad as-is, it would've been super-easy for many people to just say "the difference in performance isn't that much, and all I'm giving up is a Retina Display...". Now the full-size model is a bit more tempting, jumping ahead in performance/power, and it's not such a clear-cut, easy choice for many.

However, the day they put a current-generation processor/graphics (and Retina Display) into the mini, they may as well shut down the full size iPad department/factory.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-10-24 at 23:28.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-10-25, 01:40

I don't know... I expected an iPad update. It seemed logical, and I always thought that by changing the name in March to "new iPad" instead of iPad 3 it was because of a short lifespan and knowing the iPad mini was going to be released this month.

I wasn't expecting the A6X though. I expected it to use the new screen technology and become iPad 2 thickness and add lightning and possibly stereo speakers. Instead we got A6X and same case design and same mono speaker that my hands always seem to find a way to cover and muffle.

I find it interesting that a similar update was rumored for last fall. I think it is clear that Apple is ok with treating the iPad a little different than the iPhone as far as update cycles go.

Think we will see iPad mini in colors next holiday season?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-25, 06:08

Seems like they would've done it now, what with the recent nano and touches with their colored aluminum pieces.

They might just stick with black and white and let all the case companies provide the "flair" and personalization. I don't know.

If this thing takes off like we think it will, I suppose anything is possible (including a standard and "deluxe" version of the mini...keep the previous year's model around, knock $75-100 off the price and put an A6-based Retina model into the ~$329 slot?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-10-25, 09:15

I'm guessing for simplicity they will stick with those two colors and leave you to buy the case of your choice to add color. I like the idea of colors, but don't expect it at all.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2012-10-25, 09:48

I wonder if this will be another "starting at midnight" PDT like the iPhone5, or "start of business day" PDT pre-order thing. I can't find any info either way.

So it goes.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-10-25, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
If this thing takes off like we think it will, I suppose anything is possible (including a standard and "deluxe" version of the mini...keep the previous year's model around, knock $75-100 off the price and put an A6-based Retina model into the ~$329 slot?
I expect they will do this. It occurred to me on the day of the announcement that the price was higher than some expected simply to leave room to keep this one around at a lower price after some future model is released.

I don't expect it to be a retina display just yet, but we can duke that out in Speculation & Rumors when the time comes.

As far as colors go, that's what the Smart Cover is for. There are enough SKUs already. They don't need to introduce even more. (Personally, I'm drooling over the thought of a 64 GB black mini with the lime green smart cover.)
Brave Ulysses
BANNED

2012-10-25, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Seems like they would've done it now, what with the recent nano and touches with their colored aluminum pieces.
Seems like a perfect iPad Mini 2 selling gimmick to bring additional excitement to a design that will surely remain the same for several iterations, no?

It seems to use a similar anodized aluminum to the iPod Touch.

But yea, the covers also give the color... and Apple makes more money so you may be right.
¡Damned!

2012-10-25, 11:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
As far as colors go, that's what the Smart Cover is for. There are enough SKUs already. They don't need to introduce even more. (Personally, I'm drooling over the thought of a 64 GB black mini with the lime green smart cover.)
Kind've bummed that the leather covers are only offered for the larger 'Pads. I'm not super-hip on the poly covers, but I guess it'll have to do for now (with a Bookback, of course - already on order).

So it goes.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-10-25, 12:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Kind've bummed that the leather covers are only offered for the larger 'Pads. I'm not super-hip on the poly covers, but I guess it'll have to do for now (with a Bookback, of course - already on order).
I was surprised about that. I was also disappointed (but not surprised) that the smart cover is the same price, despite being a decent amount smaller. And there's also no smart case yet.

Still, the lime green is sexy as fuck and I need one. Just need to get the iPad mini first.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-10-25, 12:16

Yes, the Bookback is a must. I've had one on my iPad 3 since I got it and it's still looking good as new. I've got to say that my iPad is looking pretty damned sexy with it's black back, white bezel, red smart cover. The leather on the red is looking nice and used like good leather does over time.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-25, 13:25

Quote:
I expect they will do this. It occurred to me on the day of the announcement that the price was higher than some expected simply to leave room to keep this one around at a lower price after some future model is released.

I don't expect it to be a retina display just yet, but we can duke that out in Speculation & Rumors when the time comes.

Ooh, you're right. I wasn't even thinking of the manufacturing angle! Once you start to do the "manufacturing math" (carriers x capacities x just two colors), Imagine the manufacturing, shipping, stocking complexities. (and headaches) that could result if you added 3-5 colors to the mix.

That could very well be the reason colors have never come to the iPad and iPhone? It's probably enough of a logistical chore dealing with the 18(?) variants they have now.

And the case/sleeve industry is so huge (Apple's own, plus the bazillions of others), its just easier to acquire color that way if one chooses. Way more options to match specific tastes and styles anyway. Apple's version of green or pink might not be the one a customer has in mind. But, chances are, Speck, InCase, RocketFish, Marware, etc. offer something that appeals to them.

With the iPods not having to break out to carrier-specific models, I suppose that keeps the required versions down enough that its easier to say "make three million blue nanos and a million of the green touches... ".

It's when you get into the "I want a 64GB blue Verizon, but they only have the Sprint in stock, and it's just 32GB...they have 64GB, but only in pink and silver..." that the wheels fall off and all hell breaks loose. Can you imagine how hard it would be to walk into a store and actually get the capacity, carrier and color you're after? Hell, it's tough enough sometimes, as is, with just the first two.

I think I'm the only person in town who uses their iPhone without a case. I see iPhones everywhere these days, but almost always in a colorful third-party case of some sort. Apple probably says "why kill ourselves with 3-5x the manufacturing lines when most people are going to have it covered up/hidden anyway?"

I don't know if case usage applies to iPads as much, but since these models also involve the cellular variants, Apple's thinking is probably the same. More opportunities for QC issues, mismatch, making sure each carrier has enough of each color (in addition to capacity), etc. And when you factor in "wifi-only" and "wifi + cellular", as is the case with iPads, you've just automatically added another layer/element to the mix.

Someone more clearheaded than yours truly do the math, factoring in:
- wifi and wifi + cellular
- three capacities (16, 32, 64GB)
- three carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint)
- six colors (matching the current iPod offerings...black, white, blue, green, yellow, pink).

I can't count that high!

Yeah, the materials across the lines are the same (the aluminum and all). I'm sure Apple could do it...if they wanted. I just believe more reasons exist to not fool with it, in these two particular models. Can't be a coincidence that the two devices with the extra manufacturing/shipping/stocking concerns haven't broken out into colored versions in the three and five years they've both been in existence?

Hard to screw up/complicate black and white.

I bet if you could get a couple of drinks into Cook or Schiller, they'd pretty much cop to this.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-10-25 at 13:57.
¡Damned!

2012-10-25, 13:35

Quote:
I was surprised about that. I was also disappointed (but not surprised) that the smart cover is the same price, despite being a decent amount smaller. And there's also no smart case yet.

Still, the lime green is sexy as fuck and I need one. Just need to get the iPad mini first.
I may hold off on the smart cover until I hear reports that the magnets don't scratch the black off the edges of the iPad. If they do, I'll just go with a DODOcase. For now though, the Bookback and a Zagg invisi-shield HD will have to do.

So exciting!

So it goes.