Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Battle

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Battle
murbot
Hoonigan

2005-06-06, 10:34

I read this little story on my travels this morning, and thought I'd post it here. A nice little story to ponder.

Quote:
The sun was low on the horizon and the sky was ablaze with the colors of evening. An old Cherokee Indian sat musing, looking into the sunset. His grandson sat there on the ground at his knee. Looking down at the child he thought about himself and his life, slowly setting like the sun and what he could say to this creature of dawn, this sunrise sitting there, eager to cast it’s glow upon the world. And so he touched the child and looked into his eyes and told this tale.

There are two wolves which battle within me; a black wolf and a white wolf. It is a fierce battle and rages constantly. The black wolf is proud and arrogant. He is cruel and deceitful, forcing his will on others. He is frightening to behold. He seeks to devour all that he encounters. His hunger knows no bounds. He is angry and malicious and bends others to his will. The white wolf is humble and kind. He is honest and shares with his brothers. He is not feared but has earned their respect and reverence. He brings joy and happiness. The will of his brothers is his will. He is filled with spirit and life, using his great strength to help others and to share his good fortune. These wolves are constantly at each other’s throats and the battle continues night and day. At first it seems like the black wolf is winning and he howls in triumph. But then, with a swift move the white wolf takes his stand. The battle rages with teeth bared and claws slashing.

The child was wide eyed as he listened to his grandfather and finally could not contain himself. “Who will win the battle, my grandfather?”

The old Indian paused and again looked down at the boy with his tired eyes. “Who will win the battle?” the grandfather said.

“The one that I feed.”

Cheers.

-murbot
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-06-06, 10:48

Great read murbot - thanks for sharing ... reminds me of the "lengthen your line" story from Zen in the Martial Arts.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-06-06 at 11:55. Reason: typo
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-06-06, 11:03

It's a good story... wasn't something like that in American Gods?