Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Finder Restarting - Urgent Help!!!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Finder Restarting - Urgent Help!!!
trevo

2005-12-25, 21:51

Hi guys,

I was using safari as normal, watching some trailers. All of a sudden Finder keeps restarting over and over again. This is causing the background etc. to keep flashing, all i have access to is my dock!
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2005-12-25, 22:24

Grr, FTFF
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-12-25, 22:40

Have you installed anything new in the last few hours?

I had a similar thing happen when I installed Stuffit (the latest free version). Any time I right click on anything the menu doesn't dome up. Instead the finder crashes repeatedly. Very annoying!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-12-25, 22:43

any external drives attached?
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-12-25, 22:45

Ext. drives can cause havoc, but at least Finder just 'freezes' for me.
trevo

2005-12-25, 23:33

Okay I worked it out... But you can see what was happening here: http://idisk.mac.com/okeyes/Public/finder.AVI 5.7mb

**Problem Spoiler**:smokey:
Im sure you won't believe this. It was the movie trailers downloaded from apple that screwed my finder. I loaded them in Safari and dragged them onto my desktop, walked away. When i came back is when i noticed finder in kamikazey mode. I created a new user account to my surprise, it worked fine, i could finally access my apps folder and utilities. I did all the normal things you do when something goes wrong to fix my normal account to no avail and even tried safe mode. I still wanted to see those trailers so i gave myself ownership and brought over the trailers and watched them, it was then i check for new posts and wanted to reply. I don't know my username or password so i logged back into my one and only faulty finder account, which was now working properly. I gave myself ownership of my desktop folder again, which again causes my finder to go haywire.
trevo

2005-12-25, 23:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium
Grr, FTFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
Have you installed anything new in the last few hours?

I had a similar thing happen when I installed Stuffit (the latest free version). Any time I right click on anything the menu doesn't dome up. Instead the finder crashes repeatedly. Very annoying!
No i didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL
any external drives attached?
None at all.

Is it even possible for a movie to cause this much havoc? surely its application involved as well?
T-Man
The Hoarding Packrat™

2005-12-25, 23:38

Weird? Glad you fixed it. (<That 'smile's' eyes still look evil to me in a way...)

EDIT: Must be an app, why would .mov (or whatever they are) files do that?