Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Color Laser Printer: Talk Me Down

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Color Laser Printer: Talk Me Down
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-13, 22:09

Anybody here have anecdotal details about owning a color laser printer?

The lightning storm from a few weeks ago also took out our inexpensive Brother laser printer.

I can replace it with another inexpensive unit, but then I started thinking color might be a nice option.

For a few minutes I entertained the idea of getting an eco-tank inkjet printer.

However I don't print that often, so the print heads would probably dry out.

So then I wondered about a color laser printer.

That would mean 4 toners to replace, each of the four costing around $75.

It would be awesome to have the option to print color, but I could always send to a print bureau.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-14, 09:27

I have one and absolutely love it. Mine is a multifunction that I got super cheap thanks to an HP and employee discount deal when I worked at Office Depot. The thing about these is that there is no ink to go bad waiting for you to finally print again. As little as I print, I would have to buy cartridges for each print job. Now it just sits there with the dry toner in it waiting for me to actually print something. Even still, I print in B/W 95% of the time.

So, yeah, if you don't print much but need to print every now and then you should get a color laser.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-14, 11:51

Dammit T.

You’re the devil today!!

🤣

(Thank you!)

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-08-14, 21:09

I took one home from when one of my client's closed the office last during during COVID.

Now I'm mad I didn't buy one years ago. I print maybe once a week at most, sometimes not for weeks at a time, and the thing just sits there waiting for me. The inkjets I used to have would just take forever after not being used for a while and would always give me trouble.

I'm going to keep this one as long as I can and then replace it with another laser. Never going to buy an inkjet printer again.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-15, 11:40

InkJet has its place, but that is really with photos and such. Typical resolution of laser is seriously lacking compared. Then again, you'd be better off taking those images to a drug store to have printed for most people.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-15, 12:37

People still print photos? Digital photo frames, or an old TV are much better.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-08-15, 12:51

Well, my decision came down to space. The place where we keep the old black & white laser printer is simply too small for even the smallest of the color machines. Next time!

WilsonJacob

2021-08-17, 03:13

Yes, this is the digital era. Now everyone uses their smartphones to share photos, videos, etc.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-08-17, 09:42

People really do print photos still. They are my mom's age though.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-08-17, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonJacob View Post
Yes, this is the digital era. Now everyone uses their smartphones to share photos, videos, etc.
I print photos, and keep them in a box at my place in Toledo.

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-08-17 at 18:05.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-08-17, 17:54

I get the few prints I do get done by a pro, rather than a cheap inkjet from the office supply/computer store. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of DYI, for those who don’t want to fork over a few grand for a photo printer that’s worth while having.