User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

The iPhone SE thread (for 2021 and beyond models)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The iPhone SE thread (for 2021 and beyond models)
Page 1 of 4 [1] 2 3 4  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 10:47

I realize this isn't everyone's preferred model, but for those of us not interested in dropping $699+ on a phone, this little $400 bastard is our saving grace (and the only thing keeping us in the iPhone camp).

I'm hearing some chatter (rumor sites) on an upcoming 2022 model. 3-4 stories in just the past 48 hours, so that's interesting.

The gist: same body style as the current one, but the stories differ on whether it'll use the current top-of-the-line A14 (found in the iPhone 12 line) or the upcoming A15 that should be in the new iPhones coming this fall.

This new SE is slated for a first-half of 2022 release (all the articles agreed on this). Whether it's January 12 or May 28, who knows?

Screen is to stay the same 4.7" (and that's fine) and it will have 5G (which matters absolutely zero to me, as I barely use my iPhone on cellular at this point, and certainly not for heavy gulping of media/data...I "sip" when I'm not on Wifi.

So more of a under-the-hood update, according to the articles at MacRumors and AppleInsider. And that's fine. For $399, folks are happy with "good enough" and within a generation, processor-wise, of the flagships.

I will admit that I kinda assumed, by now, that a third-generation iPhone SE coming in 2022 would finally move to a full-face design (minus the fancy material, multiple cameras, OLED, stylish color options, etc.). But it sounds like we're simply in for a Rev. B of the current SE...processor bump + 5G. It may take a fourth-generation SE, come 2025 or so , before they start to look like the full-face flagships.

In any case, this can be the go-to iPhone SE (third-generation/2022) thread, for those interested (Capella, etc.).
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-21, 11:03

Hopefully, they'll ditch the Home button. At this point, I just don't like that thing any longer. I'd be OK with it having TouchID (moving up top like the iPad Air), but just make the Home Button go away, already.

The entirety of Apple's product line needs some consistency. What with TouchID and FaceID, Home button and not Home button, Touch Bar and not Touch Bar, System Preferences or Settings (). Just make the whole fool line consistent. Customers are getting lost!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-07-21 at 11:14.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 12:11

I’ve been saying that for years. They’ve had all this time to do this on some glaring, long-standing stuff. And every fall, upon installing the newest iOS and macOS, it’s still there.

There needs to be a Department of Obvious Shit within Apple, whose only job is to clean up these odd mismatched and discrepancies.

Going from a Mac to an iOS device - or vice versa - should be as seamless as possible. And that applies to what things are called. People shouldn’t spend one second having to think on any of that stuff.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-21, 12:11

I keep hearing that they are killing the mini but I hope that means they are making the mini the new SE body. I would have a hard time not buying that one.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 13:01

I know they'll never put the SE on a yearly schedule (they don't need to), but I would love to see a new one every two years, maybe in the spring? Even if it's using the same body, at least give the processor/storage/camera any needed-after-two-years tweaks.

At least then, like the fall flagship models, people would know "okay, there will be a new SE in about five months...I'll just sit tight". Right now it's so random, it's the one iPhone you can't plan a purchase on/around. I remember that second-generation model just popped up out of nowhere one morning. Anyone who'd just bought the three-year-old first-generation model a month earlier had to be feeling that one.

"Guys, throw me a bone here...I would've waited another 30 days if I had any idea a larger model with a four-generation newer processor was looming!"

Putting these things on a predictable cycle, even 24 months apart, would be nice. Flagship iPhones every autumn, the affordable SE every other spring (with the processor from the previous fall's iPhone release, since it has to go two full years with it.

Fall 2021: iPhone 13 with A15
Spring 2022: iPhone SE third-generation with A15
Fall 2022: iPhone 14 with A16
Spring 2023: N/A *crickets*
Fall 2023: iPhone 15 with A17
Spring 2024: iPhone SE fourth-generation with A17

...and so on.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with that.

And while $399 isn't $699+ flagship prices, it could be a fairly reliable, predictable purchase pattern that Apple could count on.

I could totally get on board that. I'd happily shell out $399 every other April/May to have an iPhone that current/capable (and predictable in its release; just drop $20 into a dedicated "iPhone fund" cookie jar every month, and in two years there's about $480 cash available*, enough for the phone, sales tax and any accessory I may want. Sell my previous model and put that money in the jar to prime the pot for the next go around, making it to where maybe I just had to put in $10/month?

I could spend the rest of my life doing that, and have a paid-for iPhone never more than two years/one processor generation old.

*I'm kinda big on paying cash as I go for anything I can. I'm not going to charge a $400 phone or put it on monthly installments with AT&T and bloat my monthly bill...I'll save, do a few freelance gigs, mow an extra yard or three, etc. and just buy it outright, cash. I sleep better, and enjoy the lowest possible monthly bill possible.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-21 at 13:24.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-21, 13:26

Isn't the SE now about the price the original iPhone was after it was initially reduced? I seem to recall it starting at $500 (with subsidies) and then they dropped it to $400 IIRC.

Now the SE has no subsidies and is still that price. Pretty good if you asked me.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a schedule like that. Seems like they would use a generation behind on the CPU though. So A14 when the current iPhone has the A15. Sure it means down the line you would get an SE with A14 while the current iPhone is A17 but who knows the logic.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 14:07

I don’t have a single complaint or wish-list item re: the SE except for the erratic, unpredictable release pattern. If they’d settle on something that would be really nice.

Right now, both SE releases have come in the spring and sported the same processors found in the flagship releases just 6-8 months earlier (A9 in 2016, from the fall 2015 iPhone 6s, and A13 in 2020, from the fall 2019 iPhone 11).

That’s pretty awesome.

If that pattern maintains, then the 2022 SE should get whatever’s going into the upcoming iPhone 13(?) lineup this fall (A15, I assume).

And that’s good because they’ve already shown they like to let the SE go for more than a year with no updates, so it would be nice if it got the fastest available, knowing it might have to do for 2-3 years.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-07-21, 14:24

I'm seriously considering the mini if they keep it upgraded with the new iPhones in September.

I really like the size and with going out of the house more often next year, it'll be nice to have a decent sized phone ago.

I have the 12 Pro now and would definitely appreciate a decrease in size.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-07-21, 14:57

I’m leaning towards an SE next time I upgrade my phone. Getting tired of shelling out $1399+ tax for the entry level flagship phone. Always buy the phone outright. I’d much rather have FaceID than Touch ID for for my phone though l, so I guess a flagship is still a must. This XS should hold out for another year or two, so no need to rush.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 15:21

If my first-generation SE can hold out for five-plus years (and going...I got it in April 2016), then your Xs should do just fine.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-07-21, 19:13

My 6s didn’t hold out, battery bulging killed it after 3 1/2 years. The battery in the Xs is still 89% capacity after two years, so it should be good. We shall see.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-07-22, 03:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Hopefully, they'll ditch the Home button. At this point, I just don't like that thing any longer. I'd be OK with it having TouchID (moving up top like the iPad Air), but just make the Home Button go away, already.

The entirety of Apple's product line needs some consistency. What with TouchID and FaceID, Home button and not Home button, Touch Bar and not Touch Bar, System Preferences or Settings (). Just make the whole fool line consistent. Customers are getting lost!
It's odd that they haven't renamed System Preferences yet (though I'm not a big fan of the name "Settings", but it is a lot shorter…).

It's also odd, given that they did figure out how to do Touch ID wirelessly on the iMac keyboard, that they didn't do a kitchen-sink high-end Apple Touch Bar Keyboard. Just $799. There's got to be an internal battle going on as to whether they want to ditch it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-23, 12:16

Yeah, stuff like that should be a quick, easy fix. More people(?) are on iPhones and iPads than Macs, so I think the wording used on the iOS stuff should be used. It is shorter and it's what more of the world seems to think of as the place to go to tweak all your...well, settings.

System Preferences just seems like an unnecessary mouthful.

Anytime I'm doing the "phone support" thing to a fairly new Mac-using relative or family friend, and I'm telling them to go to System Preferences, it's always followed by me saying "it'll be the icon in your dock with the gears...".

"Oh, you mean like the settings on my iPhone?"

"Exactly."

"Well, why isn't it called 'Settings' on my Mac?"

"I have no idea, but it's basically the same thing."

"That makes no sense...I thought Apple was better about this kind of shit?"

"You're right on both. What can I say?"

That one silly little difference adds an extra, unnecessary, 5-6 sentence exchange/detour from the task at hand...every single time.

Fix this, Apple. At this point, it's goofy to have both. I know the Mac's history is longer/more established, but I also think, in 2021, most people are more comfortable/familiar with iPhone/iOS conventions. And if it makes sense to reflect that on the Mac, then you should do so. Settings...same icon/purpose on both devices, Mac and iPhone.

Duh.

No reason these should both be named differently at this point, IMO.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-07-23, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I know the Mac's history is longer/more established
And, heck, it kind of isn't.

It's only "System Preferences" in Mac OS X, so since 2001. Before that, it was "Control Panels" (and in extremely early Mac OS, just the singular "Control Panel").

And iPhone launched in 2007 (though arguably it didn't take the world by storm until around 2010). So, there weren't really that many years where "System Preferences" was Apple's predominant nomenclature.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-23, 16:15

Even more reason to just adopt "Settings" across the board. I know it would eliminate that particular bit of conversation I have with folks.
¡Damned!

2021-07-23, 17:58

Blow 'em both up and go with "Controls" – sounds more machiney and less like I'm deciding where to put the salad fork.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-23, 18:51

Just about anything is more gooder than System Preferences.

And when iOS 15 and Big Sur hit in a few months, none of this will be done. Just watch.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 17:37

Been thinking about this model since Tuesday.

With the current SE now two generations behind, processor-wise, more than ever I think we'll see something on the SE front by March-April of 2022.

What few rumors there are point to only an under-the-hood processor bump and a few minor tweaks. And that's fine. I'd love an A15-equipped SE for $399, you betcha!

We all assume that the all-screen design, whatever size, will work its way down to the SE lineup eventually.

If it doesn't (and I don't think it will) in 2022 (but the SE does get the A15 in the next six months), I can think of two scenarios:

1) As above, just the A15 into the current SE (which is based on the iPhone 8). That seems the most likely, logical, practical, economical, obvious, etc.

but...

2) what if there was some sort of "in-between" model/redesign? The current SE, come springtime, will be two years old. We're also now two cycles into Apple's "straight/flat edge" redesign of the flagship iPhone, with the iPhone 12 and 13. What if Apple, known to zig when we zag (and to often do the "not what anyone expected/predicted"), had a design in mind that used the 12/13 styling (which some - including me - would say is really an updated, modern iPhone 4/5 design), but with the home button of the current SE? In other words, not move to a full-face design just yet, but to, after two years (come spring 2022) a slight redesign to adopt the flat edges of the 12/13 line, but still with a forehead and chin? Basically take a 4.7" iPhone 8/SE 2 and toss it into a blender with an iPhone 12/13.

Out comes a model they've never done before: the iPhone 8 sizing (screen and body) with the iPhone 4/5/12/13 body style?

I wonder if they'd ever throw time and resources at something like that? Or if they'd want to keep the design as is and just update the guts (knowing that it would hold for another two years, in the same way the A13 is still powering the model, 18 months after it was introduced in April 2020?

Something interesting to think about, but it would involve an all-new design/manufacturing. Maybe part of the reason the SE is $399 is that they keep the same body style, based on discontinued (5s, 8) flagship phones, around for a good four years (meaning, other than an under-the-hood bump/tweak in 2022, the iPhone 8 design is with us until 2024).

I have no problem with either above, as I kinda like the home button. I know, someday, Apple will have it removed from every phone in the lineup. And I also, unlike before with the original SE, I just don't see them removing this one from the lineup. I do see them only bothering to update it every couple of years because they don't want it to fall too far behind.

As much as I love Macs and always wonder about the "what if?" and what future models of this or that Mac would look like, the one product, if given the opportunity by Apple, that I would love to be granted "fly on the wall" insight on/access to would be the iPhone SE, and its future versions. More than any other Apple product - no lie - this model's future/presence interests me the most. It's easy enough to predict/imagine future iMac and various MacBook models coming in the next 2-5 years. But this SE could go so many different ways (remain as is for another few years, take on a de-Cadillac'd iPhone 13 mini design or some hybrid of the current size with 12/13 body style). I would love to get 45 seconds to look at CAD drawings or physical mockups of the iPhone SE's next 1-3 designs/ideas.

Can you believe that...out of all the cool, awesome stuff in their lineup, the one product I'd most love a sneak peak of is their $399 iPhone.

Only because it's the most unpredictable, up-in-the-air offering. I know what the iMac is going to look like in five years. I don't know the colors, if any, but I'm 95% sure it'll look just like it does now. And whatever the 14" and 16" MacBook Pros look like next month, expect those to stick around for at least a decade. But their little iPhone that could...that's where the mystery and guesswork reside.
chucker

2021-09-17, 17:48

iPhone SE 1 to 2 was four years, so I guess I don't see why they would do another in two years this time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 18:33

Yeah, that's a bit of wishful thinking on my part. But I don't know what controls all this or why they would, or wouldn't, do this or that.

But I do think the SE stays as is, but gets the A15, in the first half of 2022. I don't think they'd let it stay at A13 until 2024.

The rest is fun to think about. They probably barely factor that model into their plans.

I don't know if anything can be gleaned from the timing and "based on" design...but I'm gonna try!

The original 2016 SE used the iPhone 5s design (a model that came out in 2013, three years earlier).

The 2020 SE 2 used the iPhone 8 design (a model that came out in 2017, three years earlier).

See where I'm going...?

CONFIRMIFICATED!!! The 2024 iPhone SE will be based on the 2021 iPhone 13 (three years earlier), mini or otherwise.

Hey, the numbers hold up...a redesign every four years, based on a model that was the ~$650 flagship iPhone three years earlier. Put me down for a yes!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-17, 18:43

Yeah the SE is the budget phone that carriers give people for $0 on plans, it’s not going to be updated every two years. Apples going to milk that thing for a while yet.
chucker

2021-09-17, 18:55

Yeah, but rumors for a 2022 SE do exist, which I find a bit surprising. https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/01...ne-se-2022-5g/

I mean, why would Apple do that? If you want Face ID, no home button, more screen, you spend $100 more and get the iPhone 11, which is pretty great.

It seems too much of a jump to cut that 11 to $399 six months from now, and on top of that upgrade its internals. The year after, I can see.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 19:09

I think we'll get an updated (A15) SE in the same body. At that point, the $399 iPhone will have a two-generation-newer processor than the 11, but the 11 has the larger, full-face display, OLED, two cameras, cooler color options, etc. Some people consider that worth $100, even with a two-year-old A13.

I'd rather have better overall performance, not being a camera or display junkie. Anything Retina is good enough for me.

See...nobody knows what the SE will do or be, making it automatically the most intriguing product in the lineup. There's a reason I wrote what I wrote above.

It could go in all kinds of crazy directions, but I think the safe money is on "two more years as an iPhone 8-based thing, then it becomes something else".

A more recent (July 2021) 2022 iPhone SE rumor.

Nothing earth-shattering, but they seem to think the A15 will go into the current body. Fine with me.
chucker

2021-09-17, 19:29

OK, but then the $399 SE will have an A15 and 5G, and the $499 11 still has an A13 and LTE? That seems… wild.

Not that Apple is a stranger to wild decisions.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-17, 19:33

Either that or the SE jumps to the $499 spot and the 11 goes the way of the Dodo.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-17, 19:37

That's true.

I just can't see the SE staying on the same processor for two more years. It certainly could, but would people be so hot to buy it? Goes to show that buying an SE upon initial release, when it has the same processor as the flagship models (the A9 of the 6s and the A13 of the 11) is the best time to buy.

Oops...I missed my shot. I have to admit, I wouldn't be all that tempted to buy an A13-based SE in mid-2022, but that may be the very thing they do to keep that separation.
chucker

2021-09-17, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Either that or the SE jumps to the $499 spot and the 11 goes the way of the Dodo.
I guess they could do those upgrades and kill the $499 spot altogether. And maybe move the 12 mini down by $50 to $549. So you end up with an A15/5G (but still iPhone 8-style) $399 SE, a $549 12 mini, and a $699 12, for $150 gaps each.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-11-30, 15:45

This makes me so happy!

New iPhone SE Reportedly on Track for Release in First Quarter of 2022

Yay...bring it on!

Been putting money back a bit for a new iPhone. I knew I didn't want a $699+ flagship (or even a $599 12 mini), but I also wasn't nuts about spending $399 for early 2020 specs/performance either, heading into 2022. I don't give a rip about 5G, but the thought of this coming with the A15 that the current flagships have - and there's precedent for that very thing, twice...2016 and 2020 - then that'll be very nice.

I also don't give a rip about the double and triple cameras and OLED this and blah, blah. The SE is the iPhone for me, and a nice improvement on the current one is all I can really ask for. A15, 64GB and new battery? That's all I need to hear...anything else is just icing.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
PS - If this pans out and I get a new SE come February or March, that'll be six years that I've owned/used this. I take frugality and "use it until the wheels fall off" to ridiculous extremes, I realize. The facing has a hairline crack, the battery is shot, there's some yellowing in two places on the display. No way I'd ever be able to sell it, so, when the time comes, I'll just sign out of everything, turn off "find my iPhone", erase/reset to factory, put it in its box and set it in the closet next to my original boxed 2007 iPhone.

But it's been a great phone all these years, but I'm going to love the hop up from an A9 to A15, the basic camera upgrades/improvements, the storage bump (I've currently got 16GB and I know a new SE will have 64GB, bare minimum, and I'd be thrilled with that), plus the new battery and whatever else (bigger, brighter screen, TouchID, etc.). I'm completely happy if it keeps the same iPhone 8 design for another few years (because I believe we're about 2-3 years away from a true third-generation iPhone SE that'll be based on the 12/13. This 2022 can be a nice 2-3 year (which I can do standing on my head) phone in the meantime. I don't intend to keep it for six years.

Don't forget about us, Apple. Throw us a (affordable) bone every 2-3 years because not everyone wants/needs a a giant-ass, @#^%*& $700+ phone, I promise. I truly hope you realize this, because the day you kill the $400 SE is the day I write Tim the most profane, sanity-questioning email he's ever received/read in his life.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-11-30 at 16:04.
chucker

2021-11-30, 16:23

What’s wrong with the current SE?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-11-30, 16:30

It doesn't have a big enough thing.