User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 141 of 221 First Previous 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-19, 09:51

I'm right. Very right. Both in accuracy and political leaning. You lefties are all weirdos.

Ok, I am right but we need both sides. I really do lean more to Libertarian and think our government needs to shrink and go back to focusing on delivering the mail and guarding our shores.

Since that isn't happening any time soon I'll keep leaning to less government debt and less regulations. A bigger government never made a better country, ever. Of course, that is all opinion right? So I'm right then. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-19, 09:53

OK, now in the topic of Daily News....

What is with Britany Spears and needing to free her? Is she an indentured servant to her father or something? I'm really not trying to dive deep into the new on her but there is a lot of chaff flying around with her name on it.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-19, 10:46

She got addicted to drugs, her dad sued and got control of her estate, she thinks she's better and wants it back.

Something to that effect.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-19, 11:10

Re: Britney Spears, I saw a clip on TV over the weekend that showed people gathered at the courthouse with signs ("Justice for Britney!!!", "Free Brit", etc.), some crying(!) and You Go, Girl!™ speechifying. Guys too. Some real Chris Crocker types (apparently he was a visionary, and in on the ground floor when it comes to public displays of unhinged hysterics over past-their-prime pop stars).

And all I could think was "you people truly have nothing better to do? Seriously?!"

No kids to raise? No car to wash? Nothing good on TV? No toenails need clipping? Instead, you're going to go to Dollar Tree or Staples, buy some poster board, markers, glitter glue to make a (misspelled) sign showing your support for someone you'll never meet (and who doesn't give a rip about anything you say or do), and spend all day walking in circles/chanting inane slogans and platitudes with others of your ilk?

I'd say "get a life", but I fear we'll well beyond that point and firmly in "lost cause" territory with some of these doofs.

And if you think I'm exaggerating for effect, or aiming for yuk-yuks, with the above...by all means, be my guest and Google pics/video of this gathering - they're out there, and at any "news" site you prefer/feel meets your standards for journalistic integrity (far be it for me to tell anyone where to go for their info/insight) - and see for yourself. People took time to make "Justice for Britney" signage and stand around holding them for God-knows-how-long, at the expense of having a life.

I find that both terrifying and hilarious, all at the same time.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-19, 11:28

Perhaps I'm being a bit mean or judgmental - *gasp* you'll live, I promise - but I'm sitting here thinking "is there a public figure I care enough about, that I'd ever feel compelled/obligated to show my 'support' or devotion for in such a way?"

I mean, Paul McCartney kinda changed my life 40 years ago (he's the reason I picked up a guitar, got my first kiss, ultimately saw my first titty, played in numerous bands over the decades and has led to years of fun, creativity and musical adventures that continues to this day). But even if things went sideways with him, I don't give a shit. I'm not going to show up at a courthouse with homemade signage ("We LOVE you...yeah yeah yeah!!!", "JUSTICE FOR SIR PAUL!", "We're here, there and everywhere for you, Macca", etc.) declaring my "support" for him.

He doesn't need me, and I'd never be so mentally unbalanced to imagine that he did.

And if it isn't going to be him, of all people,, then others I'm also a fan/admirer of - Robert Duvall, Dwight Yoakam, Walton Goggins, Gillian Anderson, Helen Mirren, Brian Setzer, etc. - don't stand a chance.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-19, 11:53

This is the USA (and this applies to the west in general). We don't have to hunt for our food, and barely even have to pay for it anymore. When food is easy to get, people lose touch with reality.

The hunt for food usually keeps people busy minding their own business because they're busy finding hunting/working. These people's bellies are full of easy food (and probably free food, i.e. food stamps/handouts/mom-and-dad/gubmint stimulus/whatever), so they have lots and lots of spare time to meddle/whine.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)

Last edited by kscherer : 2021-07-19 at 12:10.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-07-19, 11:57

There is also the concern to think about that if they can do it to her, they can do it to you.

Living under a conservatorship for decades while the people making your decisions get rich is something that should need a very high bar to clear.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-19, 13:28

It's also more than just her finances—her family is also forcing her to keep her IUD in place.

That just seems wrong to me.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-19, 13:31

Free Britney!!

(Then leave me alone)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-07-19, 14:11

Brittney who? Is it still the 90’s? I don’t do crazy drugs, so it won’t happen to me. Stupid stuff comes to stupid people, enough said.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-07-19, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
It's also more than just her finances—her family is also forcing her to keep her IUD in place.

That just seems wrong to me.
This was the part of it that really got me.

The entire conservatorship seems wrong, and multiple conservators have stated that they've never seen one go this long, but removing her autonomy over her body is just way beyond wrong.

I really hope she can at least get her manipulative father out of the picture and she can work with a non-biased person if they do keep the conservatorship in place.

Realistically, if she can work and keep all of these people employed, she should be free of the conservatorship entirely.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-19, 14:31

So the conservatorship stuff came about due to her becoming rich/famous as a kid, and it just stayed in place all these years? Or was it a result of that public wig-out a few years back (the head-shaving and obvious drug/mental struggles)?

I don't follow this kind of stuff, so I'm kinda proud to say I'm genuinely clueless on the details (all I was talking about above were the goober fans I saw over the weekend, and their behavior/lack of a life; nothing I've said ever hinged on what was actually taking place inside the courthouse, which is a legit, legal matter not involving the Crocker Corps of nutballs milling about the parking lot).

Is the stuff still in place because those around her think she isn't capable of handling her money, life, decisions, etc.? Where is the line between "looking out for someone who can't" and "overstepping and controlling an adult". Is Spears capable of doing so? What's the unbiased, honest assessment on that? What if she gets her freedom and just completely screws her life/career/money/kids up and everyone's like "damn, we were doing her a favor".

Because I don't think she's got an established, solid track record of good decision-making.

I don't know, I'm asking.

Are her current sons all messed up and mistreated or somehow having a weird, screwed up existence and that's why people want her to not have any more? Not that it's their call, but is that the thinking going on? Or is it just known in entertainment circles that she's not capable of running her life? Who's in the wrong here, strictly from a legal/moral perspective?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-07-19, 14:32

Hmmm... I don't know enough to form an opinion on this one yet. I'm also not going to waste my brain power looking into it so I can make an opinion about someone I have no interaction with nor do I pay the bills for.

Thanks for at least letting me get a clue about what all the noise was for. Hope everyone gets everything they want out of it.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2021-07-19, 14:46

It was put in place in 2008 after all of those events, but these types of things typically only stay in place for a few years, not 13.

She has also specifically asked for her father to be removed and replaced with literally anyone else, but that request has been refused.

She also wanted to protest the conservatorship, but needed an attorney to do so, but she legally wasn't allowed to hire her own attorney.

When she was finally able to ask for a chance to talk to a judge, this is when the story became news again.

Hopefully she at least gets a chance to have her concerns heard and get some control of her life back.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.

Last edited by kieran : 2021-07-19 at 20:13.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-19, 14:54

Ah, interesting. If she's capable and qualified, she should. If she's still a train wreck, then who knows...

People smarter than I'll ever be can hash it all out and make the call.

Is her Dad known to be a handful and a case? Is he kinda the villain here, or does he just happen to be the one in the middle of it? I guess their relationship isn't that strong?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-19, 15:18

I think we all need to go out and mow the lawn or something.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-19, 20:37

Already did. I can juggle multiple things at once, don't worry...yard work, Britney Spears' woes, Mom's birthday dinner, building this easel, etc. I'm good like that.

I think folks are about COVID'ed and Marvel Multiverse'd the hell out, so if we have to talk about some pop tart's legal/personal stuff to cleanse the palate, so be it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-07-19, 21:53

The Olympics are in the news, for a weird reason. Seems the motivation for the athletes' cardboard beds is being hotly debated.

Even when humanity does something right, we find a way to mess up the intro.

Speaking as a Christian who has been a small part of some of the Church's work on the homelessness and wartime/disaster response file, I think environmentally-friendly cardboard beds that can be flatpacked and shipped anywhere in the world very quickly are a terrific idea.

I'm not sure why the mattresses are being repurposed into plastic products in favour of being made of fully degradable materials,
but hopefully someone's working on that.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2021-07-20, 03:17

Why do new beds need to be made at all? Tokyo does have… hotels, yes?

(I don't know who started the "anti-sex" thing, but it's probably nonsense, as the planning for those beds started before COVID hit.)
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-07-20, 03:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Why do new beds need to be made at all? Tokyo does have… hotels, yes?
Standard procedure is usually for the Athletes Village to be located very near to the venues.

After the games, the apartments often become affordable housing.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-20, 11:28

There are Olympics this year?

I've been reading about some crap-fest going on in Japan, but it doesn't sound at all like the "Olympics".
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-20, 19:30

When gobbling Tide PODS and dancing outside your moving car just aren't enough.

Quote:
A dangerous TikTok challenge is blamed in the death of an Oklahoma boy, media outlets report.

The boy was found unresponsive Monday at an apartment complex in Bethany, an Oklahoma City suburb, KOKH reported. He was rushed to a children’s hospital, where he died Tuesday morning, the news outlet reported.

The boy’s family told investigators he was attempting the social media “Blackout” challenge before he died, KWTV reported, and police noticed “ligature marks” on his neck.
How would they know what he was doing? Were they there watching/encouraging him? Filming it, even? How, exactly, are they so sure of the cause? Because to be so kinda implies that maybe they were aware/in on the stunt? At which point, the stupidity expands beyond the dead boy, doesn't it?

Quote:
In the “Blackout” challenge, a person chokes themselves until passing out.
Yep, that's exactly what happens.

Think about it. 20-30 years from now, someone young, wanting to learn more about their family history and relatives who've passed on, may ask "hey, how did so-and-so die back in 2021?"

"Well, when he was a boy he was strangled."

"Oh no, somebody murdered him?"

"Well..."

People, please stop being stupid. And for the most pointless, fleeting reasons imaginable (Internet/viral "fame", challenges, bandwagon-jumping, likes, views, comments, re-Tweets, etc.). Nobody cares, I assure you. And the world doesn't need any additional uncelebrated, wasted-life dumbasses dying young and stupid in completely avoidable ways. Being offed by the neighborhood pedophile would almost hurt less than this, I believe. At least then you've got something/someone to truly blame and hate for what happened.

"Well, my son strangled himself for a social media challenge; we buried him last Thursday."

Somebody, somewhere, has to say that. Out loud. And then live with that knowledge.

Don't do that to your parents, ffs. Stop being stupid and chasing all the wrong things.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-07-20, 19:37

Kids were playing this when I was in Little League in the 1970s. It's not new

Ryan
Veteran Member

2021-07-20, 20:41

At least if you do something stupid in front of three buddies in a locker room there's someone who might be able to get help if your stunt goes south.

Alone in your bedroom filming on your phone? God help you.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-20, 20:56

That's an angle to consider too. A boy is dead, for the stupidest reason in the world. And it's still happening because that article above talked about how others have done it, including recently. So it's just flying over the head of everyone. WTF...stop doing this!!

That was the entire point of my initial post...stop being stupid, and doing this thing that everyone should know is dangerous. Don't put your parents and siblings through that, for such an unnecessary, avoidable thing. Don't make your mom and your sister have to look at you in a casket because you were chasing something meaningless. They don't deserve that gut-punch.

He won't be the last. Not by a long shot. That's the tragedy. It's still worth that dice-roll for far too many.

I know in youth there's that whole "I ain't ever gonna die" aspect, but damn...are people that hard-up for attention, likes and acceptance? Again, that's different now too. The way we measure/define friendships and things like that has forever changed. The world has opened up, so the desire/desperation to be seen by millions of strangers in a way that simply didn't exist for non-celebrities until just a short 12 or so years ago, when all this stuff - iPhones, social media, YouTube, etc. - started to come about.

Many people went from being nobody to world/Internet famous in less than a decade. I imagine that must be like heroin x20. And if choking yourself out gets you a little sliver of that notice/popularity, well...there you go. Chokeville, here I come!

I feel for that boy's mom/parents. To put your son in the ground for something so pointless...that would eat a hole in me for the rest of my years. I don't know how she's supposed to get past that.

PS - On a technical kind of note, how, exactly, does this "challenge" actually work? If you're solo and you "succeed" (you cause yourself to pass out), do you just wake up (hopefully) and edit the video down to just the "passing out" part? Or are people doing this via live streaming and figure they'll come back around in a few seconds? His family must've gone into his room and saw the camera and stuff mounted (and still filming?) to put two-and-two together to realize what he was doing? If you're doing it with a friend, I assume they're filming it and try to wake you up? I love that I'm utterly clueless about the mechanics of this particular challenge...ignorance certainly can be bliss.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-07-20 at 21:37.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-21, 10:50

Does this qualify for the Darwin Awards?

Just curious.

My goodness! I don't want anyone to die*. It's just that it's really hard to find any genuine sadness in this. I don't even know what I feel for the parents in this situation. Where the hell were they, and, as Paul asked, how did they know what the kid was doing? Are they culpable? I guess I'll just have to be content to leave it to the authorities to figure out, but I have little confidence in our justice system — or in social media jack-watts — sorting things out.

FWIW, I've lost a child, and it hurts like a motherfucker! Still does, 18 years on. I lost my son to complications way beyond humanity's ability to solve, but I still did every damned thing in my power to help him. All this "taking-chances-for-look-at-me" makes it really hard to feel sorry. I try, though, because I know! But, damnit, people, get your shit in order, already!

* There are crimes worthy of the death penalty, but I don't want them to die.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-07-21, 11:05

Sorry to hear.

Yeah, I'm in the same camp. It's one thing to lose a child to an illness, accident or a crime/act of violence. They're all horrible, but, being what they are, you're often unable to prevent it. That's the tragedy part of all those things. Whether it comes slow or sudden, there was nothing that could be done (or all efforts to prevent it were exhausted).

But dumb stuff like this is SO avoidable. That's what flips my switch because, yes...it is tough, right or wrong, to muster deep sympathy. I'll admit...the past decade or so as just about tapped my "give a damn" reservoir on some things, and I have to reserve my true heartache for the three-year-old with leukemia or the young family killed by a five-time-offender drunk driver.

I don't have it to spare for people doing stupid, pointless shit for stupid, pointless reasons. We should be beyond that. As drew said, people were doing this in the 70's...it's nothing new.

That automatically makes it worse because that means people, with 40+ years of cautionary tales and reasons not to, are still doing it. So they're running out of excuses for their stupidity. At some point, you can't keep being stupid and claiming "well, we didn't know...".

It's 2021, and everyone has a smartphone or Internet (otherwise, how are you participating in these challenges; if you've got the means/outlet/audience to do this dumb shit, you've also got access to all the information making it clear that you shouldn't be). You can't have it both ways, claiming unawareness/ignorance with the world in your pocket, the same exact device you're using to make these videos. I'm sorry, you do not get to have it both ways anymore.

Yes, you the hell do know. And if the government needs to spend a million or so running some sort of "hey, screwheads on social media...don't choke yourselves out for likes/challenges, you might die" PSAs, go right ahead. It can't be any more of a waste than they're already spending on other stuff. Apparently it's an ongoing issue. This boy was merely the most recent, so, obviously, the "stop doing this stupid thing" message isn't getting through.

So either make it get through (PSAs, holding social media to the fire/on the hook, etc.), or throw up your hands and let the herd thin itself a bit. I'm fine with either, honestly, at this point. Naive me, I just assumed, in 2021, you wouldn't have to tell anyone "hey, don't choke yourself out to the point of passing out; it isn't safe".

Apparently I missed that call.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-07-21, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
But dumb stuff like this is SO avoidable. That's what flips my switch because, yes...it is tough, right or wrong, to muster deep sympathy. I'll admit...the past decade or so as [sic] just about tapped my "give a damn" reservoir on some things, and I have to reserve my true heartache for the three-year-old with leukemia or the young family killed by a five-time-offender drunk driver.

I don't have it to spare for people doing stupid, pointless shit for stupid, pointless reasons. We should be beyond that. As drew said, people were doing this in the 70's...it's nothing new.
This. Precisely where I stand.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-07-21, 14:43

The worst thing guys I knew did was see how many Timbits you could fit in your mouth without choking (a very Canadian thing). Dumb? Wasteful? Yes, and yes. Basically the same thing as the choking and Tidpods though. People said I was no fun for not playing. Guess it must be true.

Just remember we live in a world/time when people thought drinking bleach was a good way to survive a virus.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2021-07-21, 16:26

The self-choke-out isn't new, we did it in high school in the 80s at parties. Bend over, hyperventilate, stand up fast, and press the heels of your hands into your jugular on either side of your trachea.

Hope your friends catch you.

Yup, dumb is immortal.