User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
*The Daily News Thread* - a place to post compelling daily news stories
Page 147 of 221 First Previous 143 144 145 146 [147] 148 149 150 151  Next Last Thread Tools
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-03, 13:15

Apparently New Yorkers are getting jealous of all those 'Florida Man' news stories.

And this is why I prefer not to live in apartment buildings anymore.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-03, 13:19

We raised a bobcat when I was growing up, so I can understand the desire.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2021-09-03, 13:31

Quote:
You know who else "recognizes" that? Literally everyone else in the world. It's pretty self-evident. You know why? Because a cougar is designed by God to do one thing, namely:
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-03, 14:07

Yep, pretty much.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2021-09-03, 14:39

What you mean I shouldn’t keep my pet cougar in the backyard anymore. Someone has to keep all those pesky deer away from my plants!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-03, 14:40

Florida still wins. New York has tons of catching up to do...
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-03, 14:43

Florida’s biggest crime is the number of people wearing crocs, it’s no contest.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-03, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
What you mean I shouldn’t keep my pet cougar in the backyard anymore.
You're keeping her in the back yard? How old is she?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-03, 15:57

Speaking of the Sunshine State, I got another. My favorite of the week, hands down...

Man flips out after post-wedding car crash/arrest, Weinsteins himself during arraignment/drug testing efforts.

Quote:
Upon arrival at the county jail, Ruthenberg declared “All hail Donald Trump” while failing a series of sobriety tests.
Well, yeah.

Quote:
Ruthenberg’s blood alcohol level was 0.0, prompting police to ask him for a urine sample to “determine the presence of chemical or controlled substances.”

As a cop prepared the urine test, Ruthenberg “started to take his pants off and then spread his buttocks. During which time he placed two fingers in his anus.” Ruthenberg was then placed back in handcuffs.
Yeah, that's called "too late".

Whatever the salary of the deputy is who had to re-administer the cuffs, it ain't enough.

"Is there any chance I can just shoot this fucker instead? What are my options here, Captain?"

Quote:
As seen in nuptial photos posted to Facebook, Ruthenberg was married August 30, the day he was arrested. His bride turned 20 that day, according to the couple’s marriage certificate. The duo was wed by a clerk at the Indian River County Courthouse in Vero Beach, to which Ruthenberg will return October 1 for his arraignment.

The auto crash Ruthenberg caused occurred a few blocks from the courthouse.
"I won't be tamed, woman!"

But points for keeping it all convenient...married, caused a wreck and arrested/arraigned (and set to reappear) at/near the same courthouse. He obviously has a job in logistics.

Quote:
Ruthenberg, who lives about 15 miles from Vero Beach, is a registered Democrat, according to Florida voter records. The email address he provided when registering is ifarted69@gmail.com.
Of course it is.

I believe I smell a senate run!

I can only imagine the thoughts running through the head of the dad who had to give the 20-year-old bride away.

"This guy landed my baby girl?! What did I do to deserve this?"

"But he loooooooves me, daddy! He's a good man...".

Oh, I can tell, sweetie. It isn't just any man who, in one afternoon, can a) get married, b) get whacked out on God-knows-what, c) cause a wreck, d) flee scene of said wreck, e) fight cops at arrest/arraignment, f) self-administer a rectal exam in front of strangers, and g) be a registered Democrat while singing the praises of Lord Trump.

He's special, that one.

This will be an awesome marriage. Of course, they will set about procreating immediately, because Florida can never have enough rat-tail mulleted youth. And those Ho-Ho's sure ain't gonna eat themselves for breakfast!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-03, 16:14

Holy crap, you find some good ones.

And, I'm gonna go ahead and leave that email link in place so's y'all can send him love letters.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-03, 17:26

TheSmokingGun.com is a treasure vault of low-rent WTF-ery. And if they don't have an entire section devoted to Florida...well, they should!

You can close your eyes and move the mouse around and randomly click anywhere on the homepage...your chances of landing on something hilarious are 83% and higher.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-03, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
You're keeping her in the back yard? How old is she?
Cougars don’t tend to speak human languages, so it’s hard to know how old she is. Maybe it isn’t the same big cat all these years, but they always smile when they see me.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2021-09-04, 13:46

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-06, 00:34

Everyone needs a hobby.

In that evidence photo included in the story (the roomful of underwear laid out on the floor), I’m stunned to not see one Hello Kitty pair of anything.

I do not think I’ve owned 700+ of anything in my entire life, so the idea of collecting that number of items belonging to others simply doesn’t compute.

Yeah, on top of the whole “dude, that’s just creepy” thing.

Quote:
"We haven't confiscated such a large number of panties in years," a Beppu city police department spokesman told Abema TV.
Congrats?

“In years”, as though to say “we certainly have confiscated such a large number of panties, but it’s just been a while.”

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-06, 09:00

Hearing about something like that coming from Japan doesn’t surprise me, they are into some weird stuff over there. If you are into weird stuff, that’s the place to be.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-06, 10:08

Hey, who doesn't enjoy a bit of tentacle fetish play involving big-eyed anime schoolgirls?

I was going to comment on that guy with some sort of "old man" crack, but realized, at 56, he's just four years older than me. I remember when 56 was "ohmigosh, that's practically one foot in the grave!"

It really isn't, I'm happy to report.

Quote:
Now the years are rolling by me, they are rocking evenly
I am older than I once was, but younger than I'll be...

- Paul Simon
*sniff*

Honest to goodness, these past 20 years have been an absolute blur I remember turning 40 like it was 2-3 years ago. Nope...it's been 12. The other night I was thinking about a little acoustic trio I played with, thinking that wasn't so long ago. Until I looked at some photos/notes and realized "2006?!?" That it's now September of 2021 when March-April felt like about 4-5 weeks ago...damn. I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be Christmas, I guess. I remember feeling, as a teen, how one year felt like 10 ("I ain't ever gonna be out of high school!"). Now, 10 years can almost feel like just 1-2. So strange!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-06, 11:17

Yeah, these days hitting 75 is old man status.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2021-09-06, 19:47

As you get older, one year represents a smaller percentage of the total time you’ve been alive. I know it sounds obvious, but that’s the best explanation I’ve read re “time flying” with age.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-07, 15:50

I believe it's called a "meth lab". Look around for any trailers missing a roof and a wall or two.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-07, 19:58

It's funny that your everyday and logical explanation isn't even mentioned, but the article went straight to aliens.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-07, 20:28

Yep. It’s apparently everything - aliens, ghosts from another dimension just back from the fireworks store, Paul Bunyan farting, the military, thunder, etc. - but what it was.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-07, 20:38

Or a movie crew, about 15 years ago they were shooting a TV show in town, and they used more explosives than they were supposed to, shook the entire area.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2021-09-08, 21:34

I know this thread is usually about news of the weird. But for anyone that understands this stuff better than me (almost anybody), could you please explain how El Salvador adopting Bitcoin as a currency is going to work out well?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-08, 22:04

My guess is that it will be okay, for those who have it (miners). I wouldn't want to exchange regular currency for it though.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-08, 23:16

Hey, good luck with that!

I believe “pissing up a rope” is the phrase you’re looking for.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-08, 23:27

Tough luck with that, sticky chairs, people mucking with their phones the entire time. No thank you. Last movie I watch in the at the theater was the first of the new Star Wars movies, and before that was the first of the new Star Trek films. Not only was the SW movie not that great, I was reminded why I do not go to the theater.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-09, 02:09

I know I saw The Rise of Skywalker in December 2019. It seems like I saw something after that, but it would’ve had to be the early part of 2020, before everything went completely sideways. And I’ve not seen anything in 2021.

I need to check my notes, but I’m 98% sure Episode IX was it.

EDIT: TRoS was indeed the last time I was in a multiplex, December 2019.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2021-09-09 at 02:34.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2021-09-09, 13:22

I saw the most recent Fast & Furious film at the theater this summer. It was a small audience in a big room, but a woman WAS coughing on the far end, so I kept my mask on.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2021-09-09, 13:25

The big nice AMC (former Rave) theater closest to me was a ghost town throughout the latter half of 2020 and most of this year. Overgrown weeds coming up through the pavement/parking lot and sidewalk/steps, all the posters gone, no lights on, etc. Just...abandoned. And this is a hopping place, for years. So strange to see it just sitting there (it's part of a strip mall with other restaurants and stores that stay busy, but down at the far end where the AMC 18 sat, it was just this dark, sad little ghost town of a former movie venue.

It's open again, but every time I drive past, it seems I can count the cars on two, maybe three, hands. I don't think it'll ever be like it was. A shame because it's a nice 18-room stadium seater, clean, comfortable seating, pretty good popcorn, etc. And back in about 2018-2019 they'd put in those "everything in one" self-serve soda machines where you touch-screened your options and poured your drinks yourself. It was a nice setup/layout.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2021-09-09, 14:15

The only thing that draws me to the theater for some films is the audio quality, but that is cranked too high far to often.