AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

No Free Drivespace!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No Free Drivespace!
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-10-28, 20:30

I wanted to try and delete the free space on my hard drive. So I used disk utility and told it to start. Well somehow it filled up 78gb of free space, and warned me I was about to run out of free space. Worrying abou this, I deleted a bunch of movies on my hard drive, and told it to stop, but it kept going. Ate up all my free space, and killed my computer.

Now I restarted, and it says I have 0K of available space. Does anyone know where Disk Utility would put it's temporary file? I tried ls -lh in the terminal in the root directory, but I couldn't see anything that was huge, and actually the numbers weren't accurate. Is there a way to have the system update the sizes so ls -lh would show me the correct sizes and I'd e able to delete this mystery file that's taking up all my space? It says my applications folder is 4.6k, while the finder shows it to be 9gb.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-10-28, 20:36

Ok, nevermind, it hid them in my trash can under recovered files. Phew, that was close to having to wipe my drive. Since there was no space to load anything (even though I have ample ram) spell checker must not have loaded properly because it is underlining every word I type.