Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Samsung Galaxy Tab

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Samsung Galaxy Tab
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2010-09-23, 16:09

Gruber posted this preview video for Samsung's new iPad competitor. Geez, talk about ripping off the iPad's UI. Check out the Mail app and the eBook reader, in particular. I'm not sure if they have a case just based on look and feel (wasn't that the argument in the Microsoft lawsuit?), but I wouldn't be shocked to learn of an Apple-Samsung lawsuit.

http://www.tmonews.com/2010/09/want-...youre-in-luck/
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2010-09-23, 16:30

It looks like most Android based products, not much different from iOS, but more open software. Nothing new to see here.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2010-09-23, 16:37

I thought it looks pretty good too. The UI is a definite tipoff of the iPad, but that's to be expected.

The thing that's going to kill this is the price.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-09-23, 16:46

I'm not sure how having an email app that has a sidebar and a preview pane is ripping off the iPad. It's a pretty universal interface for email that's been used in software for years.

Samsung's biggest concern shouldn't be lawsuits from Apple, it should be the pricing on the device. It has promise but rumor has it that it'll cost more than the 3G iPad despite having a smaller screen. And Samsung products don't generate the hype that Apple products do.

It's likely that they will get the price lower by selling it subsidized, but I'm not sure it's worth it to sign up for a monthly data plan for 2 years. Especially if you already have a smartphone. The iPad's no-contract data makes a lot more sense for such a device.

EDIT: What kieran said.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-09-23, 20:03

I hope it does well. The iPad needs competition. Right now, there's nothing even close. I think we may be looking at an iPod-like trouncing of competitors rather than an iPhone like definitely best of class but in a tight race type thing.

The iPod competition got boring and a little sad to watch. Kinda like the UNC/NCSU basketball rivalry. The iPhone competition is much more like UNC/Dook and much more interesting and fun to watch. And better for teams in the long run.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-09-23, 22:09

I think the only hope for serious competition is if two pricing concerns:

1. It has to cost $299 at most, subsidized. Preferably $199-$249.
2. It needs a reasonably priced data-only plan. Similar to the iPad.

One thing going for it is that it will be available on all the major carriers. So people wary of AT&T can get it for another carrier if they wish.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-09-23, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
I think the only hope for serious competition is if two pricing concerns:

1. It has to cost $299 at most, subsidized. Preferably $199-$249.
2. It needs a reasonably priced data-only plan. Similar to the iPad.

One thing going for it is that it will be available on all the major carriers. So people wary of AT&T can get it for another carrier if they wish.
I think AT&T will be much less of an issue with the iPad than it is for the iPhone. For one, there are no comparable devices on any other network right now. And, secondly, this isn't a phone. I think people have a less bad view of AT&T's data network than voice network.

Price will be key. If it's anywhere close to what I've been reading ($800+) unsubsidized, it doesn't stand a chance.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2010-09-23, 22:30

Agreed on both counts. Assuming the unsubsidized price really ends up being so high, they must be counting on enough people going for subsidzed units. That makes sense but only in a few cases.

If you want a tablet and you plan on using a significant amount of data, getting a subsidized one could be a good alternative to an iPad. Maybe. Basically, if you're planning on paying monthly for data anyway, a subsidized Galaxy Tab gives you a cheaper alternative to the $630 3G iPad. Again, assuming the subsidized price is low enough.

But that's a lot of ifs. I'm not sure how they can make it successful unless there's a surprise price drop.

Hell, not to mention the iPad's $15 data plan option. I wonder if the carriers will offer anything like that for the Tab.
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-09-30, 03:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Hell, not to mention the iPad's $15 data plan option. I wonder if the carriers will offer anything like that for the Tab.
$15 plan that doesn't require a contract. I don't think the appeal of that scheme can be overstated. It's the kind of thing that makes you think that Apple has had its reasons for sticking with AT&T all these years, and you have to figure the exclusivity has at least something to do with Apple being able to get such an advantageous deal for its customers.

So it seems pretty unlikely that RIM would be able to negotiate anything like this-- they don't have any leverage. And even if a carrier offers a relatively cheap data plan-- say $20-- if it involves a two year contract to get a subsidized price I would guess that's a pretty big stopper, for a lot of people.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated