User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple just released a new standalone podcast app for iOS...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple just released a new standalone podcast app for iOS...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-26, 16:09

I heard one was coming in iOS 6, but I guess they didn't want to wait.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ne_ipad.ht ml

As a 5by5 hound, this is nice.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-06-26, 16:17

I, for one, very much welcome this standalone app. Makes using podcasts faster and more efficient.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-26, 16:37

Have you seen the little bit of animation on the panel where you listen to your show? Along with those spinning gear in iOS 6's software update panel, they've got a reel-to-reel tape machine playing, with the tape spinning as the show plays, and a little rabbit/turtle switch, etc.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-06-26, 17:28

Excellent. Downloading now.

I hope the playback UI is specially tailored to podcasts. Despite the variable speed scrubber in the Music app, I have a heck of a time jumping through the timeline of some podcasts. It looks like this new app has a "jump forward 30 seconds" which is exactly what I need for skipping the stupid intros that so many podcasts have.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-06-26, 17:59

Fantastic. Downloading now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-26, 18:40

That new iPhone needs to come. I need that new row for additional icons (Podcasts, Passbook and whatever else)...

Gruber says this was originally going to be part of the WWDC keynote, but there wasn't enough room. Odd they didn't just release it that day anyway, keynote hype or not. What's the difference between now and two weeks?

Surely they didn't think it would overshadow any iOS 6 or hardware news.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2012-06-26, 19:11

Better than that stupid forced update they made few weeks ago. All my iOS devices were making weird noises and dancing... hell my aTV tangled its self in its own cables it was dancing so vibrantly. Oh yeah, then my AT&T iPad decided it was a Sprint device.

Retired 8 years ahead of schedule.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2012-06-26, 19:16

Wait, I thought that the iOS 6 podcast program was to make podcasts. Can GarageBand for iPhone/iPad make podcasts? How can you host/upload podcasts?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-27, 12:04

I can't get past the ugly icon.

It looks odd in some way. Don't know if it's the image/graphic, the coloring or a bit of both.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2012-06-27, 12:19

I tried this out for a few minutes yesterday, but I'll be sticking with Instacast.

The switching to the store to get subscriptions really bothered me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-27, 14:08

It's a little clunkier than I would've imagined. Not a deal-killer, just takes some getting used to. And the responsiveness of the buttons seems to be a bit hit-or-miss. I have to push the play and pause buttons several times before anything happens. And forget easy, predictable scrubbing. Are my fingers suddenly just too pudgy, or did Apple go with really small elements, tap targets, etc.?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-06-27, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
It's a little clunkier than I would've imagined. Not a deal-killer, just takes some getting used to. And the responsiveness of the buttons seems to be a bit hit-or-miss. I have to push the play and pause buttons several times before anything happens. And forget easy, predictable scrubbing. Are my fingers suddenly just too pudgy, or did Apple go with really small elements, tap targets, etc.?
After using the app for a few times, I agree with everything you said. They seemed to over fluff it when I don't see why they don't just have a standard music-type playing format instead of the reel-to-reel stuff.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-06-27, 14:31

Quote:
I'm still baffled as to why Apple hasn't implemented OS X's dock magnification feature (and cut/paste magnification in iOS) into timeline scrubbing.
Chellovek

2012-06-29, 06:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I tried this out for a few minutes yesterday, but I'll be sticking with Instacast.

The switching to the store to get subscriptions really bothered me.
+1!
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-06-29, 07:02

I have a real issue with scrolling through the podcast. It's very herky jerky and doesn't respond well. Sometimes it'll go from 9min to 5min to 2min. Needs overhauling already.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-30, 00:32

This thing is getting murdered in the iTunes user reviews! I'm talking John Gruber/new Talk Show levels of hatred and 1-2 stars galore.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-06-30, 11:09

Quote:
Yeah, the new app is pretty mediocre. I have the same problems as Paul here. The playback buttons are too small and sometimes seem to need to be pressed twice to activate.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-30, 12:46

Here's what happens to me, constantly: a podcast will start, I'll want to manually scrub to the middle of the show or someplace. I can't. But once I start trying to move the little red play head thing (so thin and impossible to grab), playback stops but the pause icon remains and I can't get playback to start.

Definitely the most buggy, unintuitive and half-asses Apple release I've ever seen. I could overlook it all if it was labeled a beta like Messages or Siri.

But for a finished product, from Apple no less, it's quite a step down.

Hope they're taking all the reviews and well-founded criticism to heart and are working in a solid update...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-08, 05:56

Deleted. Useless piece of crap. Tried for four minutes to play a podcast. Literally. Four minutes. Unresponsive (couldn't get the episode square/tile to click, and the two times I finally did, it crashed the whole app. Hands-down the worst, most useless and frustrating app I've ever seen in five years.

That it's from Apple - and, despite all the valid complaints and one-star reviews with no update or fix after nearly two weeks - is just weird.

Not one time was using this app a reliable, predictable experience. Always involved 2-3 restarts to simply PLAY A PODCAST. And if I did get something to finally start playing, it was a 50/50 shot any of the controls (pause, scrubbing, etc.) would even work.

This morning was the final straw. When you can't do the simplest, most basic thing such an app is meant to do - play a podcast episode - then something's really messed up.

I'll revisit this if/when Apple sees fit to issue an update that makes this thing act like a real app from a real company. Until then, back to the Music app, which works perfectly.
Axl

2012-07-11, 11:32

While they're at it, change the name "Podcast" to "Broadcast".
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-07-24, 21:21

Missed this thread last time. I too have deleted the Podcast app. It freezes for minutes at a time on startup - I assume because it's trying to download a bunch of podcasts all at once - and is entirely unresponsive. It also doesn't come up with controls if you double-click the iPhone home button like the music app does. I sincerely hope this gets a Lot better in iOS 6.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-24, 22:03

I've not encountered one person who likes, or has kept, this app on their device. Like I said, I think they had an intern contest or something. This is so unlike Apple, releasing something this buggy and spotty (and maddening). It is truly worthless, in its current form.

Hell, I could've done a better job and I don't know the first thing about iOS development.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-07-24, 23:18

It pops up for me if I double click home. I have switched to Instacast though. Great app.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-07-25, 13:49

Looks like the Podcast app is getting an update today.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/25/...e-later-today/
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-07-25, 22:58

...annnnnnd believe it or not, this app still blows dicks. Just updated and launched and it sat for over a minute without being responsive.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-07-26, 12:23

Downloaded and tried the new version. Well, I guess this is technically "improvement" - the app is now merely shit, rather than a festering pile of pustulent shit. Still unusable.

Very unlike Apple. This is worse than the first beta of Messages for the Mac.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-07-26, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
...annnnnnd believe it or not, this app still blows dicks. Just updated and launched and it sat for over a minute without being responsive.
When did Apple start baking in such fellatio-centric code into their wares? Because over in the Mountain Lion thread, Partial let it be known that Safari 6 apparently "sucks a bag of dicks" (which was truly news to me).

Is there any tea-bagging involved with the new iWork updates, because, if so, that's gonna affect my upgrade decision...

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-07-26, 12:58

Tea-bags are optional
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-10-02, 16:01

Hey, guys...just wanted to remind everyone what a piss-poor, WTF?! "solution" this Podcasts app still is.

That is all. Carry on!

Seriously, now that we kinda have to use it (with iOS 6), it truly is the most convoluted, baffling piece of software I've ever used. There is nothing straightforward or obvious about it (finding, downloading, organizing or playing). Each of those major (important) categories sucks an unbelievable amount. And then when you break it down to the smaller features/functions contained within each of those larger categories, guess what? Those suck too! This app pretty much does nothing right or sensible. I'm surprised it even launches half the time (and I've had trouble with that too, to be honest).

I still think it's a inside 1 Infinite Loop practical joke that somehow made it out into the world, and Apple is simply too ashamed (or afraid of the PR blowback) to cop to it.

"Just let 'em think that's the real one...shhhh."

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-10-02, 16:05

It's actually a LOT better than it was when it first came out, to be fair.

I use it pretty heavily now I'm on iOS6, and I find it OK. Not great, but not unusable as it was when it first shipped. It's pretty much killed the last reason to sync my phone with my Mac, though.