AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

iPhone screen replacement options

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone screen replacement options
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-06, 20:18

So I broke my iPhone screen today when it slipped out of my hands and fell on my nightstand and then between the bed and the nightstand. I'm thinking it hit the metal bed frame and did this:

At first the home button didn't work at all. It was stuck "pressed". After hitting the phone against a trash can for a little bit I knocked loose the bit of glass that was keeping it from moving.

So the reason for the post is, should I just pay the $129 for Apple to replace the screen or are the people at the mall kiosks selling the same part as Apple? Will a third party repair center charge the same price as Apple? Since I know most here are going to say go to Apple I'm just wondering what experience others have had.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-03-06, 20:44

I'd go with the Apple replacement option. I've had screens repaired by both mall kiosk people and Apple repairs. Obviously, the Apple repairs are much better.

The Mall kiosk repair just had some random issues with the screens. One had some light leak issues near the upper part of the display. Another one had problems with the home button sticking and not really working consistently. The first screen repair was even more money than the Apple Store repair. My fault for not doing proper research and assuming the Apple Store was going to be more expensive.

I had my iPhone 6 screen repaired by an Apple Store and it was a much better experience all around.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2016-03-06, 20:46

I would say go with Apple because, if anything else happens to your phone within the warranty period (assuming your phone is still under warranty since you must have a 6s/plus) then Apple won't touch it if they see a third party display without charging an out of warranty repair fee.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-06, 21:02

OK, so the mall people are out. What about people like kscherer and the Authorized Repair centers? I'm not going to use them since I have two Apple stores in my area now...just wondering for others who might come across this thread in the future.

kieran, thank you for sharing your experiences. I was really hoping I would hear that kind of feedback and was concerned it is what I would hear. My experience with aftermarket batteries and Apple products has been horrible. I was hoping that the screen replacement industry would be better.

turbulentfurball, very good point that I didn't even think about. At least with an actual Apple tech doing the work I'll know my phone is back in (like) new shape. My phone is a 6s and is only 2 months old as of tomorrow.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-03-06, 23:04

I wish that the glass on those things were stronger. It is fairly strong, I suppose, given that years of iPad use has not led to a breakage on my own clumsy part yet. But still, those screens do break, and sometimes in surprisingly easy ways. My wife has cracked the glass on two iPads so far. I would have expected that problem to be pretty much 'solved' by now, at least for the sort of drops involved in day-to-day usage. I remember hearing rumours that stronger glass is just around the corner, but still it breaks....

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2016-03-07, 12:24

You know, I was thinking about the screen and how easy it is to break. This is actually the first screen on a Palm Pilot, Phone or tablet I've even broken. I'm normally very good about protecting my devices. Thing is that the quest to make the phone thinner makes this kind of thing easier and easier. Even if they made the screen diamond it would be able to break since it's so thin.

Granted, there are devices out there that are made to handle drops but Apple isn't catering to those at all. We get cases for that kind of thing. Sadly, mine was in a case with a ballistic glass screen protector on it. It just wasn't enough.

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2016-03-07, 12:51

It is certainly possible to make phones more durable; Apple just doesn't do it because it messes with their design aesthetic. iPhones have glass that gets much closer to the edge and thin metal frames. I've always had thick, plastic-bodied Android phones, not a single crack despite many drops (mostly without the benefit of a case). They might be ugly but they take a lot more punishment.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2016-03-07, 13:39

I've broken an 4, 4S and 5S screen, and the wife has broken the same I believe. Having two puppies around at the same time does severe damage to phones in our house apparently.

We could probably do cases, but I've never seen a case that I like, so that's out of the question.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2016-03-19, 12:32

Our eldest daughter just got her first smartphone this past week. She had had an ancient mobile flip-phone before that. She got the new phone on her own dime and decided against Apple. The main reason? Her perception, after talking with her friends, that iPhones were too easily breakable compared with other smartphones. Minus 1 for Apple. The perception is out there - whether or not it entirely corresponds with reality, I don't know. This is an issue that Apple should address in its new iPhone releases.

In the meantime, I would never have an mobile Apple device without a well-designed and sturdy case. I have had my iPads in cases for years, and never used them outside the case, and have not had problems.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.