Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

ipod mini battery help

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
ipod mini battery help
Maddog

2005-04-29, 01:17

hi,
i got a 6GB ipod mini for my birthday last week and i LOVE it, however, i'm having trouble with the battery charging
i'm not sure what generation it is, but i assume it is the newest one.. maybe generation 2??????

the problem is simply that the battery wont charge
the first time i tried to charge it, the battery picture in the top right-hand corner was about half full, and when plugged into the usb port the lighning bolt came up to show that the battery was charging.
However, about 2 minutes after the ipod was plugged into the USB port, the lighting bolt disappeared, and the battery was no "fuller"
i unplugged the ipod and connected it to the other USB port on my computer, the same thing happened - the lighting bolt was there for a minute, but then it disappeared from the screen. I swapped to the first USB port again, and it charged for a minute more, then stopped.......

then today i tried to charge it again, only this time i dont think the computer is even recognising that the ipod in plugged in, because no lighting bolt is coming up, and the changes i make to my itunes library are not being tranferred onto my ipod

what am i doing wrong????? or what have i donewrong?
i know i'm using the correct cord and everything, but its not working!!
i'd really appreciate some help or advice if anyone can give it,
ps. sorry if this post is rude, or hard to read, i'm new to forums, and ipods so i dont really know the etiquette involved yet
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2005-04-29, 07:20

Do you have a power supply? Try charging it with that. The USB port might not be able to provide enough current for the battery to load, so the loading circuits will just cut the connection. Using a power supply is a much better idea anyway, because it's much faster and I guess also better for the battery (charged at the optimum voltage/current).
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-04-29, 07:33

what kind of computer are you using it with?
Maddog

2005-05-01, 06:32

hi paul & ghoti,
thanks so much for trying to help with my battery, we took it to the apple shop, and it turned out the cord was broken, they gave me a new cord, and everythings allllll good
thanks so much for your advice anyway
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-05-01, 12:19

The cord could have been shorted out by shoddy USB ports on your computer, so again I ask you, what kind of computer do you have?