User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Blocking MSN on OSX

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Blocking MSN on OSX
defaultmike

2005-05-17, 14:08

Does anyone have a clue of how to block MSN on OS X?
All help is appreciated.
defaultmike

2005-05-17, 16:23

I'm thinking its something in the system preferences, but I don't really know
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-17, 16:25

You could set up a firewall rule to do this. You'll need to know what ports it uses, though.

Or you could set up a limited account on the computer that doesn't allow access to the application.

It depends on the setup you're working with. Where is it you're trying to do this? Why are you doing it?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
defaultmike

2005-05-18, 00:23

my boss want to set it up at the ad agency where I work. Since I'm the only employee that really knows something about computers, he asked for my help. I kindda figured the firewall thing, but its outta my league to try and do something like this. Oh well, screw him! :P
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-18, 04:02

Do you mean MSN Messenger? It sounds like you do. Because it'll be quite different.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2005-05-19, 17:36

If you go into System Prefs/Sharing and look for the Firewall tab you can add ports to block.

If you click on the New option, one of the options is MSN Messenger which uses ports 6891-6900.

This what you looking for?

Note: I am still running Panther so it may have changed

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-19, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
If you go into System Prefs/Sharing and look for the Firewall tab you can add ports to block.
Actually, that dialog is to allow ports. By default, when you turn on the firewall all ports are denied. Of course, by the implementation there, only incoming ports are blocked. Outgoing are not. You'll need to fire up BrickHouse or another front end to the built-in firewall to block outgoing ports.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.