Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Quality of tape adaptors vs. Radio adaptors

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Quality of tape adaptors vs. Radio adaptors
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-25, 13:28

So my friend found an old tape adaptor in his closet and gave it to me so I could use my iPod in my car. I was pretty stoked because I had been neglecting going out and buying a new tape adaptor. So I plug it all in, and.... it basically sounds like crap.

Now, I'm usually not one to jive on quality too much, I'm generally cool with iTunes music store files most of the time(because I typically only buy music that doesn't require super high quality to enjoy, other stuff I stick with CDs) I generally don't mind burned iTunes stuff in my car, and I typically am the first one to be generous with quality assessments. I do have very sensitive ears and can hear the difference in lots of stuff, but ultimately, I don't let it bother me.

It's been a long time since I've used a tape adaptor, but I don't remember them sounding this bad. My brother's corolla doesn't have a CD player and he's used a tape adaptor in that thing for something like 7 years, and while I haven't driven in it in a while, I don't remember it sounding *bad*.

So what's the deal? Is it just that I have a crappy tape adaptor? is there much of a quality difference between various tape adaptors, and more specifically, can I hope to get far superior quality with a radio adaptor?

I kind of don't like the practicality of radio adaptors vs. tape adaptors because I like the idea that I can just put the 'tape' in and it will be good to go, no fiddling with FM dials or any of that accident causing jazz.

I think ultimately I'm going to end up upgrading my stereo anyway, whereupon I'll get something with a line in, but until then, what's the word?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-25, 13:39

In my limited experience FM adapters suck big time. I haven't used a tape adapter recently but I need to because my new Jetta's stereo doesn't have a line in for my iPod. Bottomline is that I've never met anyone who was happy with an FM adapter.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-05-25, 14:15

I have a Belkin TuneCast II radio adapter, and yes it does suck. Sounds muffled, and won't stay on for more than about a minute.

Tape adapters are much better, as long as you clean the heads and demagnetize your tape deck. Make sure that the little wheels on the one you use are easy to turn, or the tape deck will keep switching directions.

You ask me for a hamburger.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-05-25, 14:31

ha!

I just downloaded iPodlounge.com's buyer's guide and the first thing it says about cassette adaptors is to stay away from the one that my friend gave me. "it's cheap, but it sounds like it too"

The two other things it says

It mentions the Griffin Smartdeck, which looks like the best cassette adaptor ever made, but it's not shipping yet, which is a bummer, because it really does look awesome. Assuming it actually provides best quality(or at least comparable to the best, then the extra features it provides would just be swell.

It also mentions that typically Cassette adaptors will be higher quality than radio adaptors, so that's good and it answers my question about this thread.

Last edited by Wrao : 2005-05-25 at 14:58.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2005-05-25, 14:40

Just weighing in with another 'FM adapters suck' post. I got an iRock a couple years ago and unless I'm totally out in the boonies with no FM reception at all it just sucks. Even out in the boonies it sucks.
polvoronn

2005-05-25, 16:22

I was happy with my iTrip (I lost it). I always had to keep it within a foot of the stereo itself, but that was no problem since I just put it in the cup holder located right in front of the stereo.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-05-25, 22:59

We used a 3 year old tape adapter tonight and it was actually not bad at all. Completely bearable considering we were driving on the highway and the road noise made it hard to tell if the sound was crappy.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
goatsome

2005-05-27, 14:14

i am very happy with my itrip. my friends can even drive behind me and still pick up the signal. i rarely ever get that bad of a reception.
Crusader

Send a message via AIM to Crusader  
2005-06-04, 12:15

Well having used both, I much prefer tape adaptors. I had a TuneCast which worked decently, but the volume was low, and it would never remember it's presets. After about 3 months of use, the wiring died on me. I had two tape adaptors before that, each one lasting about a year before the wiring gave up on me. Currently I'm looking at the Smartdeck for the Volvo, and for the Tahoe, I'm just throwing in a new head unit, speakers, subs, ect.

Can't wait till I have some free dough

"It's a good thing there's no law against a company having a monopoly of good ideas. Otherwise Apple would be in deep yogurt..."
-Apple Press Release
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2005-06-05, 09:57

i ahve used both and the tape adapter sounds a lot better in my experience.