Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

Why would Apple kill iPodworld?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why would Apple kill iPodworld?
Frank777
Veteran Member

2004-08-10, 01:23

Our friends at TS are reporting that Apple has nixed Mac Publishing's plan for a magazine based on the iPod.

Why would they do this? Brand-labeled magazines are a proven strategy to foster community and brand awareness. (For the newbies, Apple actually assisted financially in the creation of MacWorld magazine.)

What could they be thinking here? Upset over MacWorld Boston? Unhappy that it wasn't going to be monthly?

It's been suggested that Apple might have designs on doing a mag themselves, but I think that silly. They've never be in the content game successfully and this is a company that doesn't even put out a catalog of its own products (Cupertino needs to read Sony Style.)

Any thoughts?
hmurchison
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to hmurchison  
2004-08-10, 02:40

I don't think Apple likes IDG Publishing that much right now.
Gizzer

2004-08-10, 07:39

What's wierd is that this UK publication has been on sale since June:

And as far as I know it's still available on the shelves. So obviously Apple doesn't have too much of a problem with the idea as such.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-10, 10:39

iPod is a registered trademark. The publisher never asked if they could use the trademark in their title. Bad publisher.

Apple has to defend its trademarks, *by law*, or they lose their rights to them.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-10, 10:43

out of curiosity if i want to open a magazine called MacStuff or something like that, do I need to ask apple for rights to use it? is "Mac" an apple trademark?

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-10, 10:48

Oddly enough, I don't think it is.

PowerMac is. Macintosh is. I don't think Mac is.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-10, 10:55

I read that this magazine is still a "go" (albeit a special issue to test the waters, and not a regular release, as initially reported). But it'll be called Playlist.

That's not a bad name. Everyone using an iPod/iTunes gets the connection.

Nice, and a bit snappier (at two syllables) than the iPodWorld name, IMO.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-08-10, 12:56

thinking about it, if it was copyrighted then McDonalds would have to rename the big mac
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2004-08-11, 02:36

Maybe Apple wants to start an iPodworld Expo? And yes, I know, Apple doesn't actually do the expos themselves...IDG does, right?...so, that's kinda full circle...oh what the heck. "Playlist" sounds better anyway
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2004-08-11, 08:41

IDG seems to lack the smarts to simply ask for persmission for these types of things. They walked over Stone Design's trademark for its renamed Macworld Expo, and Stone had to do sabre rattling to protect its brand. This is the same situation. I mean, if they simply asked Apple, they probably wouldn't have a problem with it. Or at least I hope so.

The idea that Apple would deny permission for use of the term iPod in this way would be very strange except for this. I have to admit that I am a bit concerned about Apple's behavior with regard to the iPod & Co. even if they have good reasons to act like this.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-08-11, 09:50

I always thought Apple should publish a quarterly "lifestyle" thing. Maybe 4-8 pages, showcasing their latest gear, how to use it, tips & trips, photos, etc. Focusing on Apple gear, the digital hub, iApps, the iPod/iTMS/iTunes trio, OS X, etc.

But then UK's iCreate magazine came along and pretty much does it for them, so I'm happy.

I'm telling you guys: seek this magazine out and try it! Yeah, it's about $14 here in the States, but when it comes to actual, day-to-day useful stuff about OS X and the iApps (ALL of them), gorgeous photography, truly informative, indepth reviews, etc. it beats Macworld, MacAddict and MacDesign to death. If I could only get one Mac magazine, it would be iCreate. It's very Apple-centric and a total joy to read.

Barnes & Noble carries it...

...and no, I don't work for them.
SinclairZX81

2004-08-11, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
iPod is a registered trademark. The publisher never asked if they could use the trademark in their title. Bad publisher.

Apple has to defend its trademarks, *by law*, or they lose their rights to them.
You can't lose a trademark because there is a magazine ABOUT your product with its name in the title. If you could no one could ever publish anything about any product! Most manufacturers would love to have a magazine about their mp3 player.

Apple is either being heavy handed as usual or it wants to use the iPodWorld name somewhere (iPod stores maybe?) or maybe they saw the comps and didn't feel the magazine reflected the iPod brand well.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-08-12, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinclairZX81
You can't lose a trademark because there is a magazine ABOUT your product with its name in the title. If you could no one could ever publish anything about any product!
Yes, you can. And point me to say, three magazines that have a particular product title in the name, that aren't actually published *by* the manufacturer, and for which there is no prior agreement to use the name.

Trademarks, by law, must be defended or lost. Sorry, but you're simply wrong on this one.