Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Tamarin Project

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tamarin Project
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-12-28, 10:12

A friend emailed me with a press release from Adobe about the OpenSourcification of the Flash Player scripting engine to the Mozilla organization, something they're calling the Tamarin Project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozilla
The goal of the "Tamarin" project is to implement a high-performance, open source implementation of the ECMAScript 4th edition (ES4) language specification. The Tamarin virtual machine will be used by Mozilla within SpiderMonkey, the core JavaScript engine embedded in Firefox®, and other products based on Mozilla technology. The code will continue to be used by Adobe as part of the ActionScript™ Virtual Machine within Adobe® Flash® Player.

The Tamarin virtual machine currently implements the ECMAScript 3rd edition language standard that is the basis for JavaScript, Adobe ActionScript, and Microsoft Jscript, plus some of the new language features proposed in the ECMAScript 4th edition specification. By working on an open source implementation of ES4 with the community, Adobe and Mozilla hope to accelerate the adoption of a standard language for creating engaging Web applications. We hope the Tamarin project accelerates the ability of developers to create and deliver richer, more interactive experiences that work across multiple platforms.
I've been learning Flash and how to code in Actionscript. Do you guys know if Actionscript is anything like JavaScript? My JavaScript book is behind that pile of boxes in the corner and I'm too lazy to look it up on the Google and oh MAN I just need somebody to spoon feed this to me right now.

whinge.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-12-28, 10:57

Actionscript is ECMAScript with some vendor extensions, just as Javascript is ECMAScript with DOM thrown in.