Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

I just can't make up my mind..

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I just can't make up my mind..
jhipp

Send a message via AIM to jhipp  
2005-12-28, 15:48

Let me start off with this - I am a video editor[though no big renders yet], I would be using FCE to edit. I just need something that would be good for editing, anything better than what I have now(Dell P4 1.7GHz).

Now, I was originally planning on buying a 12-inch PB used, probably an older model(1.33GHz), because I would like official support for screen spanning and also a pretty powerful video editor on the road. I am aware that if I decide to go this way I should wait until MWSF, where supposedly new IntelBooks will be released.

However, portability is not super important to me, though it would be nice. I was originally going to get a laptop so I can edit at my Mother's or my Father's house(divorced parents), but my Father recently purchased an iMac G5 20" with 1GB of RAM, and it's a beast, so I would only need something for my Mom's house.

I have about $1050 to spend and right now I am looking at these:
1 - If IntelBooks are a good price, then I could get one of those.
2- If the IntelBooks fail, I could fallback on a PowerBook.
3- An iMac G5 17", 1.8GHz or around that.
4- Dual 1.25GHz G4 PowerMac

I would also eventually max out the RAM on these.

Thanks!

-Jacob

Last edited by jhipp : 2005-12-28 at 15:59.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2005-12-28, 16:03

Edit video on a 12" PB? Dear God no, that would drive me freaking nutz! You would be building a ship in a bottle. 15" minimum IMO.
Since you don't need portability any more, I would suggest the iMac, but you do seem to travel between houses a lot. In your case, a 15" Powerbook may have other advantages outside of video editing you may want to consider.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
jhipp

2005-12-28, 16:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby
Edit video on a 12" PB? Dear God no, that would drive me freaking nutz! You would be building a ship in a bottle. 15" minimum IMO.
Since you don't need portability any more, I would suggest the iMac, but you do seem to travel between houses a lot. In your case, a 15" Powerbook may have other advantages outside of video editing you may want to consider.
I would LOVE the 15" PB, but that seems to be well out of my price range. iMac is really my top choice right now, but that will probably change tomorrow. (every day I wake up and my mind changes on what I should get..)
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2005-12-28, 16:07

If you bought another desktop, you would undoubtedly need an external hard drive to carry projects between locations. Just another thing to consider.
jhipp

2005-12-28, 16:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej
If you bought another desktop, you would undoubtedly need an external hard drive to carry projects between locations. Just another thing to consider.
Ah, I forgot to mention that I have a 160GB External Lacie HD.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2005-12-28, 16:14

It seems to me that if you're on such a tight budget, you can't get a Mac that would be a significant enough improvement. The Mac OS is much better, but let's not kid ourselves here - $1050, though it is a good amount of money to throw at a computer, will not buy you much if you insist on getting a Mac. New Macs are expensive and old ones hold their value too well.

Getting a Mac is worth it, but I think you should wait until you've saved up a bit more. A 1.7 GHz P4 is not the fastest machine out there, but neither is any $1050 Mac. Either one will get the job done acceptably well.
jhipp

2005-12-28, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
It seems to me that if you're on such a tight budget, you can't get a Mac that would be a significant enough improvement. The Mac OS is much better, but let's not kid ourselves here - $1050, though it is a good amount of money to throw at a computer, will not buy you much if you insist on getting a Mac. New Macs are expensive and old ones hold their value too well.

Getting a Mac is worth it, but I think you should wait until you've saved up a bit more. A 1.7 GHz P4 is not the fastest machine out there, but neither is any $1050 Mac. Either one will get the job done acceptably well.
Alright, saving - HERE I COME! But do you think if I can get a good deal on a 1.8GHz G5 iMac I should jump on it?