Migration to New Mac via Ethernet?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Migration to New Mac via Ethernet?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 19:22

Imaybe

EDIT: Okay, so I've lost all ability to post. Here's what I meant to post:

I may be getting a new Mac in the next few months, and am contemplating my migration strategy.

OS X has it's built in Migration Assistant, but that seems to require a firewire cable, which I do not have. Since I'd likely never use it again, I'm reluctant to buy one.

I do have a short Ethernet cable... I seem to remember hearing that files and settings can be transfered over ethernet between two computers. Is there an automated (ala Migration Assistant) method to move files to a new Mac over Ethernet?

Last edited by screensaver400 : 2006-03-29 at 19:35.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-29, 19:27

Yes, maybe.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 19:29

Youmaybe
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-03-29, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400
I may be getting a new Mac in the next few months, and am contemplating my migration strategy.

OS X has it's built in Migration Assistant, but that seems to require a firewire cable, which I do not have. Since I'd likely never use it again, I'm reluctant to buy one.
Dirt cheap, very fast… I honestly think you're overthinking this issue. A quick check at Froogle will tell you that there is no point in pondering so much when you could get a cable for between $5 and $10.

Quote:
I do have a short Ethernet cable... I seem to remember hearing that files and settings can be transfered over ethernet between two computers. Is there an automated (ala Migration Assistant) method to move files to a new Mac over Ethernet?
Not with Migration Assistant, since that uses FireWire Target Disk Mode.

With Ethernet, things get a lot more manual and complicated. I would suggest in that case that you use SuperDuper!, but then again, you don't want to spend money.

So it's down to manually copying files, or using various more hack-ish solutions like rsync, or whatever.

Honestly. Why bother when Apple gives you such a great method? For just a few bucks? So what if you never use that cable again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha
Youmaybe
Butmaybenot.
pilot1129

Send a message via AIM to pilot1129  
2006-03-29, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker

chucker, why am i not allowed to look at that link you posted? is it a link to a thread in the mods forum?
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-03-29, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot1129
chucker, why am i not allowed to look at that link you posted? is it a link to a thread in the mods forum?
My bet - a dupe thread that has since been deleted.
chucker

2006-03-29, 20:12

Heh. What makes you think I'm a moderator?

That link was to a duplicate thread of screensaver400's.
chucker

2006-03-29, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost
My bet - a dupe thread that has since been deleted.
We have a winner!
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2006-03-29, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
Heh. What makes you think I'm a moderator?

That link was to a duplicate thread of screensaver400's.
Yeah. I don't know what happened, but when I was trying to make this thread it was triple-posted, but without most of my message's body.

Firewire does seem the way to go. To laugh at myself a bit... I'll be buying a $2000 MBP, but don't want to buy a $10 cable.