User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Apple-Intel and our role in the transition.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Apple-Intel and our role in the transition.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-06-11, 09:49

Otherwise reliable news outlets are already starting to print and post false information about what will be required of developers to make their software work for the new platform. The New York Times has posted two stories that claim Mac software "will have to be re-written". WRONG.

Over the next two years these types of half-true stories can have a detrimental effect on Apple, as people might stop considering their products and or buying stock in Apple. I don't believe it's intentional - the media just [doesn't] understand the process of software development... that re-writing code is much different than optimizing code in most cases. Even an untrained eye (but with good business sense) will note that re-writing software is probably expensive, and start drawing erroneous conclusions from that information.

Our job as people in the know (hopefully), is to send letters to the editors at these publications and politely let them know, without a lot of geek-talk, that most applications will only require a couple weeks worth of extra work to be optimized for Mac on Intel, probably less in many cases. And that optimization is much preferable (for developers) to re-writing anything.

What's more they need to understand most applications are already written with three or more platforms in mind (OSX, Windows, Linux), and that this will ease the transition quite a bit also.

Here's a start:
letters@nytimes.com

...into the light of a dark black night.

Last edited by Moogs : 2005-06-11 at 11:03.
dviant
Lord of the Spoiler

2005-06-11, 10:07

Seems like a good idea. Stuff like that makes me cringe. I don't want to be a big fan boi but I'd sure hate to see my favorite OS tank because a bunch of numbskulls out there are spreading FUD.

We should be thorough and clear in our criticism however. Perhaps the standard should be to post a link to the article(if possible), actual quote of specific misinformation, along with the authors name and the proper email address to send our corrections. Could be a very effective way of educating the meatyuhhh, especially with all the smartypants we have here.

Shhhh, I can't see!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-06-11, 11:05

Yep. And I think too, if an editor gets enough complaints about the same story, saying the same things in effect, that will be enough for them to realize they've made a mistake.

I also sent a polite note to Mr. Jobs, saying that I worry about the PR side of this whole thing, if the media keeps perpetuating the wrong story. Not that he'll ever see it mind you.

intlplby
Veteran Member

2005-06-12, 03:33

another perpertrator (sp?)

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050609.html

this guy needs to read Hannibal's Ars Technica article
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-12, 05:39

I said, on the day this all came about last Monday, that Apple will face a larger PR/perception battle than any sort of technical or logistic one with this transition. I wrote it in a post here at 'Nova, almost those exact words.

All it took was a casual glance of some stories the following couple of days from alleged major media outlets (who you'd think would have the act together and facts a bit straighter before running one gloomy, "this might be a mistake" story after another) to confirm my initial instincts.

That, and, frankly, reading some of the overwrought idiocy posted here and elsewhere by Mac users who, honestly, should know better.

Hell, if the current "already faithful" are engaging in such baseless freaking-out and "Chicken Little-isms", what can you expect from Joe PC User and/or your typical Wall Street analyst types (who have proven time and again to be completely wrong about most things Mac and Apple, but yet their words still have impact and influence).

Good idea, moogs...it'll probably be needed.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2005-06-12, 08:45

Here's another instance, from the Observer no less. If anyone wants to drop a note to the author (email at the bottom of that page: I recommend short and polite, not a systematic analysis of every erroneous point he made), it might encourage him to get his facts right before he writes another widely-read article.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2005-06-12 at 08:47. Reason: Typo
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-12, 11:16

Apple should send a little press/PR kit to all these writers, analysts and publications...Mac-friendly, and otherwise. Might be a good idea, seeing as how much inaccuracy, dread and borderline hysteria has reared its head in just one week. Gone unanswered or unchallenged, imagine 2, 4, 6 or 12 months from now, the damage that MIGHT be done by more wrong or incomplete reporting in some quarters?

For crying out loud, if these people are going to write and speak and hold some sort of role of authority and wisdom on these matters, the least they can do is do it right, and give the full story, both sides, and not needlessly causing people to consider switching platforms (which I've read more times than I care to remember this past week) or hold off purchases for (get this) "another year or two, so my stuff won't be obsolete...".

To quote Al Pacino (laying into Kevin Spacey's weasel officer manager character) from "Glengarry GlenRoss": "You are here to HELP us...not to f*** us up...where did you learn your trade?!?".

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-06-12, 11:53

Good catches, guys. Even if you write only a paragraph or two in general terms, start sending the editors / writers your thoughts. Doesn't have to be eloquent or even engineer-speak to point out the flaws in their assumption about developers needing significant time to re-tool / re-write the apps.

Paul, I do recall your prediction on this earlier and I agreed 100% but was hoping the first wave of media reports would prove us wrong on that. Wishful thinking of course....

BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-12, 14:48

I end up posting corrected info on some other forums of which I'm a member. Say, at some car forum, a thread would show up about the Apple-Intel thing. Some of the posters would start freaking out, so I'd have to go in there and demystify the whole thing.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-06-12, 15:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
I end up posting corrected info on some other forums of which I'm a member. Say, at some car forum...
I just have to ask: do they, when discussing cars, frequently resort to using computer analogies? Just curious...

BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-06-12, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
I just have to ask: do they, when discussing cars, frequently resort to using computer analogies? Just curious...

Hehehe...

"Don't y'all know that Hondas are like the Macs of the car world..."

"Yeah, dude, why did you get that intake? It's like buying a floppy drive to replace the DVD burner in your Alienware machine, y0..."