User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

cable control: how do you label/mark cables to keep track of what goes where?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
cable control: how do you label/mark cables to keep track of what goes where?
malcolm

2008-01-30, 12:35

Hi there,
Behind my powerbook screen are a Medussa's headful of firewire and USB cables that go every which way. Even with USB and firewire hubs, I have to unplug something, to plug something else in, and often the only way I can tell what goes to where is to follow along the (usually) black cable, in one direction or the other.
So I'd like to mark, or label, or colour-code or somehow identify both ends of each cable, and I'm wondering if anyone's come up with a really elegant way of doing it. I thought I was onto something, the other day, when I used a big drop of my wife's fingernail polish at both ends of one cable, and then another colour of fingernail polish (is that what it's called, polish?) on another cable... but really, the colour difference isn't that great - - they're all variations on red - - so I think I need a better solution.
Ideas, anyone?
Malcolm
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-30, 12:37

Well, I take them on and off so often that I have them memorized. I really do suggest that method over any other.
malcolm

2008-01-30, 13:08

Hi Taskiss,
If I could send you a snapshot of what this mess looks like, you'd know I have to find a way. Would I be able to attach a jpg to my next reply?
Malcolm
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-01-30, 13:28

As odd as this is, I just remember where they are too. And I can show you my nest if you'd really like. Now one thing I do though it take a white-out pen and write on the wall block what it is.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-30, 13:38

Go to Radio Shack (or your local equivalent) and get a pack of cable labels. Write on it, slap it on each end, voila. Use different ink colors for easier ID if you want. $2.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-30, 13:39

http://global.dymo.com/enCA/Home/default.html
Don't buy Brother, it's just a cheap copy.
Put the same text twice on the same label, with a generous space inbetween and you can make a tag that sticks on the cable with text on both sides.
If you don't feel like spending any money, the same method can be used with paper and tape.

Converted 07/2005.
malcolm

2008-01-30, 13:41

Turtle, you and Taskiss have better memories than I do... I even have trouble following my cables from one end to the other, it's such a rat's nest back there... I'm going to have to follow Kickaha's advice... Off to RadioShack (now renamed 'The Source', or Circuit City or something like that here in Canada). Thanks all,
Malcolm
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-30, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolm View Post
Hi Taskiss,
If I could send you a snapshot of what this mess looks like, you'd know I have to find a way. Would I be able to attach a jpg to my next reply?
Malcolm
It's quite possible that I could tell you where they go

I've worked as a sysadmin for close to 30 years. After hooking up a number of PDP-11's and VAX 11/780's, a Mac or PC is a piece of cake!

real hackers don't use sigs
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-01-30, 13:45

Quote:
Turtle, you and Taskiss have better memories than I do... I even have trouble following my cables from one end to the other, it's such a rat's nest back there... I'm going to have to follow Kickaha's advice... Off to RadioShack (now renamed 'The Source', or Circuit City or something like that here in Canada). Thanks all,
Malcolm
Yeah its the 'The Source.' Kind of silly, but it is a totally different company, not just renamed.
malcolm

2008-01-30, 16:29

I'll check this out too, Yonzie.
Cheers,
Malcolm
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-30, 16:34

Quote:
Would I be able to attach a jpg to my next reply?
Malcolm
You won't be able to attach an image to your reply, but you could upload the image to a free hosting site (Flickr or the like) and then post the link to the image in your reply.

It took me a while at first to get it, but now It's second nature.

Let me know if you need any more help.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
malcolm

2008-01-30, 17:15

Hi k. - - I just checked out Flickr... do I have to create a yahoo account to join Flickr? I'm leery of having too many email accounts. Cheers, Malcolm
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-01-30, 17:39

How about Imageshack instead?

Then you won't have to get a new email.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-30, 18:22

Someone blatantly copied my idea and made a guide: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/82

And use imageshack.us or just use Skitch, it kicks ass.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-01-30, 18:31

Well, at work, when we're marking mic cables and suchlike, we use a wrap of coloured electrical tape - possibly with a written label in sharpie on that if required. But we're talking 25+ cables here, not 5 or 6.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-30, 18:34

I find it most useful at the AC plug end of things - I know I only have n USB devices, and only m Firewire, and only x video displays... but they *ALL* have AC plugs, and they all look alike.

So all of my power plugs are labeled. It *really really* sucks to go unplug the printer, and take out an external drive by mistake.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-30, 18:59

Unless you use USB extender cables, there's really no way to go wrong these days. Off the top of my head, there's no way to plug a cable in a wrong connector.

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2008-01-30, 19:09

I have used coloured tape at both ends of cables in the past, when i used to change pieces of hi-fi equipment on a regular basis. It worked well for me.

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-01-30, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Unless you use USB extender cables, there's really no way to go wrong these days. Off the top of my head, there's no way to plug a cable in a wrong connector.
Ha.

Try plugging a Firewire drive into itself while daisy chaining a string of them, and see how well that works for ya.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-01-31, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Ha.

Try plugging a Firewire drive into itself while daisy chaining a string of them, and see how well that works for ya.
Used to be that connectors could be attached to cga, ega, and mga monitor connectors...and RS-232 serial connectors. I've seen people attach the wrong one, end up buying a new video card.

Uphill. In the snow. Both ways.

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-01-31, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post
Uphill. In the snow. Both ways.
And you were only 3 years old.