AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Appleworks reinstall

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Appleworks reinstall
wuf

Send a message via AIM to wuf Send a message via MSN to wuf  
2005-02-21, 23:30

Question for anyone that can help....

My version of Appleworks has 'disappeared'.....the app is no longer in my app's folder, but the all the pref's and stuff like that are still around......how do i get the app back? I was going to boot from my software restore cd's, but it said it would pretty much restore stuff to factory defaults.....i don't want to format my HD, i just want my app back.......

can you help??

-wuf

"Have you hugged your Mac today?"
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-21, 23:34

/Applications/Utilities/Software Restore

Follow the instructions.

You should be able to just reinstall parts.
wuf

2005-02-21, 23:41

Brad-

Software restore is not in my utilities (or even on my HD)....Not sure why, I am SURE I didn't delete it........

Damn computer....maybe it just needs a hug....

-wuf

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-21, 23:50

Ah. Try this. Insert the first restore DVD. In the Finder, press command-shift-g. In the dialog, enter the following:

/Volumes/iBook Software/.images/

Change iBook Software to whatever the name of the restore DVD is. If a folder with several .dmg files appears, you're in luck! Mount the appropriate dmg and copy over the files.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
wuf

2005-02-22, 00:22

Well, I tried what you said, but it never gave me any results when I told it go to that folder. I am just going to download it from some p2p program and then run it from there.....I figure registration won't be illegal since I DO have it.....just not sure where exactly it is......

-wuf

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2005-02-22, 00:56

What OS are you using, wuf?

And, what OS is on your Restore CD?
wuf

2005-02-22, 01:18

Ok, he was the deal....

I am running 10.3.8.....My friends computer (which is what i was working on) is also on 10.3.8, but I didn't realize till a little while ago that her installer CD's were from 10.0...yes, you read that right....10.0....

Maybe that is the reason that it didn't find them......I just ended up downloading the app installer from a p2p program she had installed (and which shall remain nameless due to the fact no one seems to care for it)........

To give you an idea about this poor lil' iBook, it is a 500mhz machine she bought several years ago.....however, she didn't buy any additional ram to go with it, so it only had 128mb ram in it......i say HAD because i just popped a 512mb chip in it, so it's maxed out now.......i also traded out most of her OS 9 apps with X versions of them....

So long story short, her CD's were from many moons ago, but i got the app reinstalled.....

-wuf