User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

IBM and Apple Alliance - IBM to make Apple Clones?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
IBM and Apple Alliance - IBM to make Apple Clones?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
DrGruv

2005-01-27, 23:17

And the lion shall roll over on the lamb

One of the big pieces of tech news in 2004 occurred when IBM® sold off its PC business to Lenovo. Kevin R. Ray sees this as heralding greater things. In 2005, "IBM and Apple will have an alliance together. You will once again see Mac 'clones' made by none other than IBM. They will once again enter the market, but with the PPC-based CPU chip ... On the top end I easily see dual-core-, dual-processor-based systems with a VMware-type solution built into the main board. Run Apple's OS X in one virtual environment and your typical Linux™-type operating system in the other."

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...w09PAChallenge

Could this be what morpheus was talking about? Where is apple on the power everywhere list? - WITH IBM!!!!

- Michael Droste Itunes Link Stop By: TrumpetStudio.com or SaveThePlanetSong.org Some Main Gear: AT4050, Dual 1.8 G4, Logic, Waves Plat, Waves SSL, Tritone, URS, PSP, Zebra, BFD, RND, Sony Oxford, Altiverb...
DrGruv

2005-01-27, 23:20

Nate Kissane sees a similar crisis brewing. He predicts that in 2005, "circuit density will stop doubling every two years -- and will start doubling every two months!" But Nate sees beyond the initial tech joy that would greet this development and realizes that this will place a painful burden on the marketing personnel forced to come up with new names for the new chips that will be flying out of the fabs. "IBM will release the POWER6™, POWER7, and POWER8, all in the month of August; Intel® will release the Septium, Octavium (spelled in the Latin way, with all vs: Octavivvm), and, um, the Nonovvm in August as well. IBM, having already released the PowerPC® 980 in time for June's Apple Worldwide Development Conference, will continue with a release of the PowerPC 990 in September; at that point, the numbers will roll over, heralding the release of the PowerPC 000 two weeks later."

- Michael Droste Itunes Link Stop By: TrumpetStudio.com or SaveThePlanetSong.org Some Main Gear: AT4050, Dual 1.8 G4, Logic, Waves Plat, Waves SSL, Tritone, URS, PSP, Zebra, BFD, RND, Sony Oxford, Altiverb...
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 23:23

Don't count on it... IBM wouldn't have sold their PC division until after they rolled out the PowerPC line.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-27, 23:56

I would be surprised if DrGruv was correct. I understand that under the agreement to sell its PC division, IBM agreed to let the purchaser produce IBM-branded personal computers, which will be sold as such in the U.S. and other countries. I would be surprised if this agreement permitted IBM to itself produce and sell rival-IBM branded personal computers.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
rasmits
rams it

2005-01-28, 00:51

I would think something like this would be an official announcement made by IBM or Apple at MacWorld or something... It's pretty big.
Tuttle

2005-01-28, 04:15

Wasn't part of the sale of IBM's peecee division an agreement for five? years to stay out of the desktop computer market?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-01-28, 07:04

Guys, there was a reason why Steve Jobs' first act as CEO was to order the cessation of clones being made by Motorola and Power Computing. These clones were not being sold to new customers, they were cannibalizing the existing customer base and reducing Apple's profits. The idea of Apple clones continues to be popular only among those who do not understand why Apple had to embrace their position as the only remaining vertical model in the computer industry.

This isn't a story.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
BenRoethig

2005-01-28, 08:17

Apple's existing using base probably isn't going to buy PowerMac G5s with their Power or Bladecenter JS20 servers. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a clause in the sale contract to sell PowerPC based computers running unix or OSX to business customers.
luckypp

2005-01-28, 08:42

This is not going to happen, the government has not even approved the sale of the IBM PC division.
DrGruv

2005-01-28, 08:51

-i do think it could happen...

Why wouldn't apple want to be on the 'power everywhere' team as morpheus suggested?

Why are we seeing articles about: what would have happened if? (related to apple taking over the industry and not microsoft.)

Why are we also seeing articles about apple licensing it's os to others AND still being their own hardware company. (perhaps the 'clones' are their own machines running mac osx on their servers - which offers word on unix)

drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-01-28, 12:09

We're seeing those articles because there's been an enormous influx of new Apple fans, people who do not yet know the history of the company; the ups and the downs, the ins and the outs. Understanding why the company's place in the computer industry takes some educating and I'm sure that some of the older Mac users would be happy to enlighten you, though there are some fine Apple history sites on the web.

Apple is far more likely to deliver the G7 PowerTank next Tuesday than they are to allow anyone to make Apple clones.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
dougiemac

2005-01-28, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops
Apple is far more likely to deliver the G7 PowerTank next Tuesday than they are to allow anyone to make Apple clones.
Can we start a 28+ page thread about when they'll be releasing these new G7 PowerTanks???
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiemac
Can we start a 28+ page thread about when they'll be releasing these new G7 PowerTanks???
At least, this thread is interesting .
DrGruv

2005-01-28, 14:22

been a mac user since 91, i know the history...

with chips running multiple os, one for lin. one part for uni with osx - maybe they'll preload it or give them the option to do so.

DrGruv

2005-01-28, 14:35

References:

What if Apple Computer had licensed the Mac OS?
If Apple had given PC makers the right to bundle the Mac operating system into computers, the theory goes, competition would have come to the OS market. Microsoft would not have ever wielded monopoly power, and security would have never been a problem.

http://news.com.com/What+if+An+alter...3-5550138.html

Power.org
The companies behind Power.org include: AMCC, Bull, Cadence Design Systems, Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing, Culturecom, IBM, Jabil Circuit, Novell, Red Hat, Sony Corporation, Shanghai Belling, Synopsys, Thales, Tundra Semiconductor and Wistron.

http://www.power.org/

micmoo

2005-01-28, 15:40

Does anyone know if the G7 PowerTank will accept 4 internals and 2 optical drives and an upgradable canon??? If it does not, Apple's doomed I say, doomed!
kaseyha

2005-01-28, 15:43

The current situation with the PowerBook line is a classic example why Apple cannot afford to have competition from a clone market. This type of delay would kill them if there were still clones. Because they insist on producing hardware that is as close to perfect as possible, their development timelines are much longer than other manufacturers.

Their niche in the market is about hardware design and innovation. They make money with the hardware. When the hardware becomes commoditized and other companies start producing cheaper, uglier, but useable (because of the software) products Apple can no longer count on their hardware to keep the company afloat. At this point they have to become a software company, which is totally against their current business model and would be a very difficult, if not impossible transition.

IMHO
CoreMac

2005-01-28, 15:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGruv
And the lion shall roll over on the lamb

One of the big pieces of tech news in 2004 occurred when IBM® sold off its PC business to Lenovo. Kevin R. Ray sees this as heralding greater things. In 2005, "IBM and Apple will have an alliance together. You will once again see Mac 'clones' made by none other than IBM. They will once again enter the market, but with the PPC-based CPU chip ... On the top end I easily see dual-core-, dual-processor-based systems with a VMware-type solution built into the main board. Run Apple's OS X in one virtual environment and your typical Linux™-type operating system in the other."

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...w09PAChallenge

Could this be what morpheus was talking about? Where is apple on the power everywhere list? - WITH IBM!!!!
You do know the link is satire, right?
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-28, 16:07

Could the mods please change the thread title to one that is less heart-attack-inducing? thx

p.s. Who do I send my laundry and carpet-cleaning bill to?

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein

Last edited by johnq : 2005-01-28 at 16:20.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-01-28, 16:18

Yeah, like "Apple to release G7 PowerTanks in Two Weeks! (with mockups!!!!)".

So Mr. Scates & assembled mockers, what would your G7 PowerTank look like?

::thread-jacking::
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 16:28

What I could see happening is an IBM deal similar to the HP iPod branding...
IBM-branded Xserves anyone?
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-01-28, 17:08

Seen many HP iPods?

Screw them, we can do it on our own. I hate PC companies stealing Apple's thunder, it so seldom is worth it.
Paul
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 17:10

Thats not the point... but getting Big Blue™ behind Apple with big iron would be a HUGE boon for apple's PM division.
Franz Josef
Passing by

2005-01-28, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
What I could see happening is an IBM deal similar to the HP iPod branding...
IBM-branded Xserves anyone?
HP iPods, Motorola iTunes phones, maybe IBM tie-up - all good stuff. These tie-ups show Steve Jobs isn't making the same mistakes second time around. Good for Apple to have some of the big players on board to help drive industry wide standards, rather than going it alone. This time Microsoft will be on the ropes.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-01-28, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmoo
Does anyone know if the G7 PowerTank will accept 4 internals and 2 optical drives and an upgradable canon??? If it does not, Apple's doomed I say, doomed!
I understand that will not be announced 'til later this year...and ship early in 06. Sorry.
Snoopy

2005-01-29, 13:25

Not long ago, many people on these forums were saying, "Apple will never enter the sub $500 market. Apple would lose money on it and it would cannibalize sales of more profitable Macs." Now some are saying that Apple will never allow clones. I think we cannot easily say what Apple will or will not do. There are too many surprises. Regarding Job's statements about clones, I seem to remember the door being left open a crack, like maybe under the right circumstances or in a limited way.

I have no opinion about whether it will or won't happen, but I sure wouldn't be surprised to see things like IBM built business clients running OS X or IBM blade servers having an OS X option. I agree with the posting that said the restriction on producing PCs may only apply to X86 based products. We don't know the fine print in that IBM-Lenovo contract.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-01-29, 20:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
Not long ago, many people on these forums were saying, "Apple will never enter the sub $500 market. Apple would lose money on it and it would cannibalize sales of more profitable Macs." Now some are saying that Apple will never allow clones. I think we cannot easily say what Apple will or will not do. There are too many surprises. Regarding Job's statements about clones, I seem to remember the door being left open a crack, like maybe under the right circumstances or in a limited way.
Here's a short clip of Steve at MWNY(?) 1997 talking about clones. It sounds like he actually wanted to license the OS, just the cloners didn't want to pay any more than they had to.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a return of the clones in a limited form, like the HP iPod, where Apple still makes a good profit off of them, while the deal extends Apple's potential customers.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2005-01-30, 00:15

Go ahead and hold your breaths.....
DrGruv

2005-01-30, 01:08

Mr. Jobs WANTS to be #1, the best, in every home... He doesn't think the os war is over - I think he can win too

Mac OS on Cell and Mac OS on any powerpc

BenRoethig

2005-01-30, 11:15

But he also expects everyone to come around to his way of thinking.