Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Land of the Lost Movie

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Land of the Lost Movie
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-02-01, 19:08

I just saw the trailer on the Super Bowl and am SO excited!!!
I hope that it's just as bad as the original series!!!

Looking for the trailer now...

http://www.landofthelost.net/

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-02-01, 20:10

I'm surprised at how intrigued I am... it looks pretty amusing
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-01, 20:24

They might still be tweaking the visuals and CGI, but the first thing I thought was that the dinosaurs didn't look as good or real as the ones in "Jurassic Park"...15-plus years ago.

FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-02-01, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
They might still be tweaking the visuals and CGI, but the first thing I thought was that the dinosaurs didn't look as good or real as the ones in "Jurassic Park"...15-plus years ago.

Well, yeah..... but, the incredibly BAD special effects was one of the most enjoyable parts of the original. State-of-the-art visuals for the update would be Bad Form.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-01, 20:38

Then why don't they make them truly "bad" and do the choppy stop-motion and obvious matting/compositing, and play that aspect up, since that was the hallmark of that show?

It just looks like "made for Sci-Fi channel" CGI with those "rampaging atomic alligator" or killer giant cobra movies they're always showing on Saturday nights, starring Lorenzo Lamas.

"Bad Form" is half-assed CGI (assuming improvements aren't made between now and release).

But maybe that's the newer, 21st century take on bad-on-purpose special effects...it still needs to be CGI, but simply weak CGI. It might be so clever - and turned back on itself - that I managed to miss the joke entirely?

JohnnyTheA

2009-02-02, 03:00

I am a huge fan of the original 70's kids show. It looks like they are doing more of a spoof than a movie adaptation. The casting of Will Ferrell makes that obvious. I guess I am okay with that idea. I like Ferrell's other movies a lot, especially Anchorman, so this might be a cool movie.

It would still be nice if someone did something else with LotL other than this. I mean even though it was a show for kids, the stories were very good and written by some decent sci fi writers.... A more grown-up Sci-Fi approach like what was done with Battlestar would be great.. Maybe thats a bit too far-fetched..

JTA
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2009-02-02, 06:39

I dig the funky guitar track in the non-trailer parts of the site.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-02-02, 07:14

If this is successful then Sigmund the Sea Monster would be a great followup, Big Daddy.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2009-02-02, 07:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTheA View Post
I am a huge fan of the original 70's kids show. It looks like they are doing more of a spoof than a movie adaptation. The casting of Will Ferrell makes that obvious. I guess I am okay with that idea. I like Ferrell's other movies a lot, especially Anchorman, so this might be a cool movie.

It would still be nice if someone did something else with LotL other than this. I mean even though it was a show for kids, the stories were very good and written by some decent sci fi writers.... A more grown-up Sci-Fi approach like what was done with Battlestar would be great.. Maybe thats a bit too far-fetched..

JTA
When I first heard about this movie being made, that's what I assumed it was going to be. A modern, serious take on it. Then when I learned that Ferrell was involved, that all went out the door.

"Oh, they're going to do it for yuks."

Kinda like "Starsky & Hutch". Before I learned it was a Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson thing (with Vince Vaughn, Jason Bateman and Snoop Dogg, no less), I thought they were going to do a straight, modern-day take.

I'm just happy (and, frankly, kinda surprised) the recent "Miami Vice" movie wasn't an Owen Wilson/Chris Tucker project, played for laughs. It certainly could've gone that way, had it not been handled by Michael Mann (who was behind the original TV show).

This "Land of the Lost" will probably be worth a rainy Sunday matinee, at the very least. I'm sure it'll have some laughs. Much of Ferrell's stuff does, even though I fear he's on auto-pilot across so many of his movies (you can certainly draw a connecting line from "Anchorman", "Talladega Nights", "Blades of Glory" to "Semi-Pro"...an oblivious dimwit anchoring - no pun - a broad spoof of a particular period or movie genre).

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2009-02-02 at 07:32.
JohnnyTheA

2009-02-03, 00:10

Lets see... What other old kid's shows can be make into movies:

Sigmund the Sea Monster (as has been mentioned
Jason of Star Command
Shazam
Isis
Ark II
Electrawoman and dynagirl (when I was a kid I had a crush on dynagirl, but NOW after looking at old clips on YouTube, Electrawoman is the Hottie)
Wonderbug
Wonder Woman (looks like this is coming out)
Lidsville
HR Puffanstuff (sp?)
Bigfoot and Wildboy
Doctor Shrinker
Far out space nuts (with the guy who played Gilligan)
and
The Lost Saucer...

Unlimited ideas for Hollywood... I'm hoping for Electrawoman and Dynagirl.

JTA
drewprops
Space Pirate

2009-02-03, 00:45

I'm currently singing the Dr. Shrinker themesong... haven't even gone looking for it on YouTube yet (don't need to, it's burned into my brain)
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2009-02-03, 12:12

Ultraman needs a major movie like yesterday

on The Banana Splits they had a mini show i loved each week, Danger Island

but yeah, LoTL was so great as a kid...god, i hope they have the original song somewhere in the movie...

g

crazy is not a rare human condition

everything is food if you chew hard enough