User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 14 of 25 First Previous 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18  Next Last Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2014-03-17, 22:36

Smallest End ever! Is it possible there are other End islands floating in the distance, or is that the whole bit? Every other End island we've had has had dozens of pillars, and this only has a handful. Not that it's a big deal; as long as we get an ender farm working that's all the End is pretty much good for now.

Also, we don't backup the End? We do the Nether, right?

[edit] According to the wiki, yes, just one floating island.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-03-17 at 22:46.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-03-17, 23:21

FWIW, we only keep regular backups of the overworld.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-18, 11:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Neat!! I see it didn't take too long for Bruce to get to work on a new ender grinder.
Bruce popped on last night and I said, "Hi, Bruce. Where you at?" He answers, "In my basement." "On my way," I says. The second I saw him, I dropped 4 stacks of pistons on the ground. Hint, hint, I implied. Then Grey pops in, "I have lots, too, if you need more."

Grey and I had been scheming how many pistons Bruce might need for the End trap. We didn't give the poor guy 3 heartbeats before we attacked (not that he wasn't rearing to go ). The second he popped in, we were on him like flies on poop! Fifteen minutes later, all three of us were pounding out the trap path, portal path, etc., etc., etc.

We want our XP. NOW!!

On that topic: Please open the End portal—it's still blocked by bedrock. We had to venture 5 million miles into the boonies to get in, and, holy cow what good entertainment it was when Grey got boosted into [an] exit portal by an Enderman.

How was that walk, again, Grey?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
FWIW, we only keep regular backups of the overworld.
Ugh. Don't let any dragons loose in the Nether!

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-20, 18:46

Since people have wondered, here is what a Nether Map looks like. Yeah, it sucks and I won't be running it again in the foreseeable future.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-03-20, 18:58

How big is the nether? It looks gigantic.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-20, 19:11

Larger than the core of CC I believe. Actually it's almost as big as the current world:
CC Chunks: 38935
Nether Chunks: 34363

174M ./world
141M ./world_nether

Also, the zoom level is 3 in from CC. So it starts off more zoomed than CC does.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-20, 19:14

What and who's is this:
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-20, 19:36

Woah!! That's petty cool!!

I forget, is there a Nether map??
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-20, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Woah!! That's petty cool!!

I forget, is there a Nether map??
Look a few posts up to the first one by me today in this thread.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-20, 22:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
What and who's is this:
The sign says stay out, so stay out!!!

I take no credit for my Nether sidetrack projects. None whatsoever! It is the project of my nether insanity habits. Leave me alone and move along. Nothing to see here. Although now I fear I must get back to work on this, now that everyone knows about it.

Edit: Yikes and YIKES!! What a mess. That map is pretty much useless. But thanks for doing it. I've wondered what a Nether map would look like. Now, I can feel the nightmares coming. Yeesh! Drew, stay away. There is only pain and suffering.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-20, 22:15

WOAH!!!

How are there SO MANY Nether portals in here?? Are there a similar number topside?? It sure doesn't SEEM like it. Weird.

billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-21, 06:26

That appears to be a mistake in the map algorithm since the portals are repeated in multiple locations.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-21, 17:58

Looking at the placement of the portals I think that might be the actual number of portals. 36 portals topside and 31 in Nether. I'm sure that's due to the odd sized portals which will count for two some times like mine in Nether:

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
billybobsky
BANNED

2014-03-21, 18:39

it's also due to some overworld portals mapping to the same nether portal...

Could we backup The End at least once (no need for regular rotation)... It'd be nice to have the Enderman trap available for an mc duplication in the future in case we want it...
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-03-21, 18:50

What? You don't want to build it again?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-22, 18:47

I have The End backed up due to the map generation I did. I've done it a few times since to update the map once I was sure you were finished with it. I'll put a copy in the server too.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-01, 17:01

So it seems I changed my texture pack at some point or Brad did.

So, I guess the best thing to do it to download a fresh version from this forum and then replace what texture pack it's using now and start over. So Maps may be down for a few.

Edit: it was me BTW. I ended up deleting the resource pack folder when making changes to use FTB again. This meant that the maps generator reverted to default textures.

Last edited by turtle : 2014-04-01 at 17:47.
¡Damned!

2014-04-15, 09:18

I haven't been on much in the last few days, but it looks like the map has paused updating? I fiddled with a few things last night and noticed I'm still over at my house on the map this morning. Not a big deal, just fyi.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-15, 18:59

I'm glad you noticed the maps not updating. I found the issue too. Due to Heartbleed I had to change the key on my server. While not likely an issue, better safe than sorry. This meant any connecting machines/users would need to clear an old key and accept a new one. I didn't do this on Beast so it couldn't download the maps backups.

An update on the maps is coming now. I've had to stop the cron since there are about 6 days worth of catch up to do on the rendering. Once it finishes I'll put the cron back in action and it'll be the typical 4 times a day update cycle.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-04-15, 19:30

Err, surprise! Since I just now updated the server to use the new UUID-based protocols, I'm guessing that the map server (after the next backup/reload cycle) probably won't correctly show players' locations until the map server software itself gets an update.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-15, 20:12

Ooooo... I'll have to check on that. That might mean a whole new map render too. OK, I'll look into it too tonight.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-15, 21:14

Here is a list of the archived maps to keep you from being too bored and not seeing the newest updates of the maps:
The above is a list of the worlds that are archived as well as the current world that I have just updated as of the switch to Minecraft 1.7.8. I have also added The End and the Nether map to the list here. Those won't get updated much, but I figured it'd be a nice point for people to look over in case there is an issue generating the maps after this update.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-16, 07:51

So it looks like the maps will update with the new version of MC but currently player data isn't there. I'll update the rendering program once it's available for the new configuration.

billybobsky
BANNED

2014-04-26, 07:10

Uh.... what's up with the invalid ssl certificate for the site?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-04-26, 08:41

Part of my server changes has caused an odd issue where every site redirects through an SSL connection and then on to the regular maps site. I'm not sure why yet but am working through it.

It's part of the DNS changes I mentioned in the server maint thread. I just wasn't expecting this side effect.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-15, 13:55

FYI: When I click on the "Show Portals" button, the web page locks up. Am I having trouble, or is the map generator having trouble?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-15, 20:49

Well, I'm currently having issues seeing it here at my house due to odd DNS and routing stuff still.

On my local machine where the maps are generated it seems to be cause by something on Google's end. I'm guessing they changed something with the maps API and it's now causing problems. There wasn't an update to the map generator last time I checked. I might just have to disable the portal displaying.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-15, 21:14

I'm getting to the bottom of this. Looks like massive grouping of portals. Not sure if it's real or just in the maps.

I'm going to go to the location and destroy them in game if they are actually there. It's pegging Beast when viewing the local files. This isn't a problem with the map API other than an inability to handle some major repetition in these portals.

I did happen to notice that the maps were using an outdated .jar file. We went to 1.7.9 and the maps program didn't.

Edit: So 709 is breaking those portals now, but so you can see the issue from a different angle:

Sorry bb, that portal farm can't stay.

Last edited by turtle : 2014-05-15 at 21:56.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-15, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Sorry bb, that portal farm can't stay.

LOL w/ mucho gusto

Edit: Wait, so they're REAL????!!!!

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-16, 12:25

Whatever was causing the trouble, it is now fixed.