User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Help With Word

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Help With Word
Doe

2005-05-08, 23:42

I just finished a paper and did a spell check. I opted to ignore a grammar problem and all I get now is the spinning beach ball. I haven't saved and if I force quit it says I will lose any unsaved information. I don't want to lose 16 pages worth of stuff. What do I need to do to stop it? please
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-09, 00:05

That spinning cursor means that Microsoft Word is busy (unlikely) or has hung (more likely). There's really nothing you can do besides killing it.

Note: direct your anger at Microsoft, not Apple, for shoddy programming here.

If you're lucky, the next time you open Word, it'll pull up an "auto recovery" of your file that Word periodically saved in the background. This is funny, actually, because it's basically Microsoft's way of saying, "yeah, we know our crappy software is probably going to hang or crash and cause lots of suffering in lost data; so, we'll try to make up for that by saving a backup every few minutes and acting like the good guys when it's restored."

Advice for future: when working on important documents regardless of the application, save frequently.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Doe

2005-05-09, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
That spinning cursor means that Microsoft Word is busy (unlikely) or has hung (more likely). There's really nothing you can do besides killing it.

Note: direct your anger at Microsoft, not Apple, for shoddy programming here.

If you're lucky, the next time you open Word, it'll pull up an "auto recovery" of your file that Word periodically saved in the background. This is funny, actually, because it's basically Microsoft's way of saying, "yeah, we know our crappy software is probably going to hang or crash and cause lots of suffering in lost data; so, we'll try to make up for that by saving a backup every few minutes and acting like the good guys when it's restored."

Advice for future: when working on important documents regardless of the application, save frequently.
Thanks Brad. I know I can trust your advice. Well here goes nothing.

EDIT: I only lost a paragraph. Thank You again Brad. I sure appreciate your knowledge and I am sure a lot of other people do.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-05-09, 00:15

I'm glad it worked!

You're welcome.