Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

What to do with busted up iMac C2D

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What to do with busted up iMac C2D
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-01-29, 17:42

A good friend of mine called me this morning for some advice. Their son managed to knock their one-week-old iMac (a 20”, 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo model) off the desk and the display is FUBAR. He had a pair of headphones plugged into it and then spun the chair around, bringing their new bundle of joy down off a ledge, onto the main desktop, then down another few feet to the floor. Ouch.

So they’ve had it checked out by the local reseller, and the quote is $1300 to repair the $1800 computer (prices include tax). The LCD needs to be replaced (and maybe a few other things that my friend couldn’t remember). They could use home insurance and pay a $500 deductible, but they’d lose a 10% discount they have for not having a claim. Then I’m sure if they have a “real” claim anytime soon, the rates will go up, so they don’t want to go that route.

So they’re deciding if they want to pay $1300 to fix a $1800 computer (almost ¾ of the original cost)… the only thing with this is who knows what happens to the balance of their warranty. If the motherboard goes in 10 months are the techs going to say “oh man, it looks like this was caused by that major impact back in January…”? I have a feeling anything major from this point on could be linked, right or wrong, to this damage.

So they either pay $1300 to fix the $1800 computer, hope to hell the display is the only thing wrong with it, and risk having AppleCare battles in the future, or pay another full $1800 and replace the computer.

Of course another option is to keep the computer and just use another cheap LCD, since the computer itself is still running fine. They lose the nice LCD and basically the entire point of having an iMac, the all-in-one simplicity of the whole thing, but they’d also only pay $300-500 or so for the display instead of the $1800 to replace it.

So anyway, they’re just tossing ideas around, and I thought I’d post here and see what you guys think. I guess this is one of the negative things about having an iMac. If they’d just damaged their new LCD, they’d drop a few hundred bucks on a new one and call it a day. Dropping $1800 for another iMac is a bit of a different story.

BTW no, they didn’t use a credit card, so no accident warranty there.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-01-29, 17:56

Sell the kid.

()
Buy a new one and eBay the old one as-is.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-29, 17:57

Check with other retailers if you can get a lower repair quote. As is, you're paying over three times as much as the display is actually worth.
macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-01-29, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Buy a new one and eBay the old one as-is.
I agree. It is only 500 more for a new one and you could get some of that back in the sale of it as is. That is a good suggestion PKI!
murbot
Hoonigan

2007-01-29, 18:14

Actually I was thinking of offering him $400 for it. I didn't know how much of a rip off that was for him. Seems like a good deal for me.

macleod
Now in lower-case™!

2007-01-29, 18:39

Well for $400 wouldn't you be basically paying the same as a new imac? I would think something like $200. It seems like it is a rip off for him, but if anything is broken beyond the screen it could end up costing you the price of a new one all together....right?
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-01-29, 19:14

If nothing is broken besides the screen (e.g. the iMac is working fine with an external screen attached) the iMac is probably still worth about $500/$600 at least.

A black hole is where god divided by zero.
http://settuno.com/
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-29, 22:22

Just buy an LCD monitor until leopard comes out. Then buy a new 17" iMac and connect the LCD monitor, and sell the old broken iMac.

But first, buy a spoon. A big wooden one...


¡Damned!

2007-01-29, 22:44

A Pizza Hut box and an X-Acto knife to cut a few holes and a slot for the optical drive. Problem solved.
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2007-01-29, 23:40

How old is this son anyways? He's got to have those headphones suction cupped to his ears for it to pull down a computer.
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2007-01-29, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
Just buy an LCD monitor until leopard comes out. Then buy a new 17" iMac and connect the LCD monitor, and sell the old broken iMac.

But first, buy a spoon. A big wooden one...
That's what I would do... incluing the spoon part
zippy
Veteran Member

2007-01-30, 00:37

Well, my heart goes out to all of them - including the kid. He's got be be pretty torn up about it. Poor fella.

If it was me, I'd just drop a nice big LCD right in front of it for now, and then save up for a new iMac. And as much as it might be hurting me, I'd make sure the kid knows that he is worth more than a computer.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2007-01-30, 03:01

How much will Apple charge? I can't imagine Apple charging $1300. Their prices are extreme but not that extreme.

Also, if you have any friend who is an apple certified tech, he may be able to order the part at cost. I've done this in the past but it is quite difficult.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-01-30, 05:51

I'd see how far you can throw it, like in a contest. I've always wondered about that.
danielsza

Send a message via AIM to danielsza Send a message via MSN to danielsza  
2007-01-30, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
How much will Apple charge? I can't imagine Apple charging $1300. Their prices are extreme but not that extreme.

Also, if you have any friend who is an apple certified tech, he may be able to order the part at cost. I've done this in the past but it is quite difficult.
Well since it's probability $1300.00 Canadian, it does sound right. A few years ago when I bought my iMac G4, I got a great deal on it, but the screen didn't work. Apple wanted $1000.00 just for the new lcd panel. They told me that the backlight connector was all that was broken. Then they suggested that I take it apart myself and solder the wires together.