MC: Server Down?
Page 2 of 23 Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-01, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
Router enema complete:
I'm wondering if the router might need another enema. I've been online a lot today, and I've been regularly having blocks regenerate on me, and warping is really slow. It's not constantly slow, but occasionally it really drags, despite me being the only one online. Mind looking into this tonight, T?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-07-01, 18:00

I got home and re-flashed the router and updated the configuration. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. Feel free to test it out.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-01, 18:01

Thanks, T!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-07-01, 18:22

You're welcome! Glad I could do this...shame I had to wait until I got home from work to do this. Something about administering my router via a work connection just strikes me as having poor taste. Especially since it is a hosting company.

So I didn't remember to do a Speedtest before re-flashing but here is the post flash results:

Now I have noted that this happened right at 30 days ago. Let's see if it happens this time next month. If it does I'm going to have to look at a better router.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-04, 13:40

FYI, I'm taking the server down briefly to try the beta 1.7 update...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-04, 13:50

Updated! We're now running beta 1.7.2. Please update your client (and texture pack!!) before reconnecting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-07-04, 14:46

It works. I was on a for a little bit but have to jet. Fun times thinking about how I'm going to use pistons....
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-07-04, 16:16

Right... so either the white list is borked or well you don't like me very much...

However: it is superfantasticfun to 'fly' by stacking TNT really quickly beneath me, only to have it disappear and the server boot me.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-04, 16:38

Looking into it... the permissions plugin did undergo a major version change. I thought I checked everything, but I might have missed some bits.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-04, 16:41

Aha! Yes, permissions for regular members was horked. Please try again now.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-07-04, 18:15

Wait? Is flying finally allowed??
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-07-04, 19:17

I have a simple pistons project already lined up.

Has anyone checked if the block duplication bug is present in 1.7.2 SMP?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-04, 19:24

Apparently, yes. It's expected to be patched soon, though.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2011-07-04, 19:32

Get to diamond block farming, guys!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-04, 19:36

billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2011-07-06, 19:59

Oh noes... He broke it... He might be a lighting strike.

Nevermind.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-07-06, 20:18

It wasn't me! Looks like you got booted for a restart of the server. Not sure why you didn't get notice. Brad, any idea?
¡Damned!

2011-07-12, 17:25

Server is still boinked, btw (at least since I noticed it in the screenshot thread).
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-12, 17:34

Huh. My screen session is dead for some reason. That does not bode well! I'll fire up a new one and restart the game server. Hopefully it exited cleanly...

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-12, 17:35

Nope. Someone tripped over the power cable (uptime indicates the hardware recently power cycled) and the ramdisk is gone. When I get home in a bit, I'll reinitialize it and restore the last world backups. It looks like the last successful full backup was this morning at 0600.

¡Damned!

2011-07-12, 18:00

Ugh.

Well, at least it didn't happen during the block dupe bug (or during the skyranch overbuild ).
drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-07-12, 18:06

Brad Are You Done Yet Because I Want To Go On And Win At Minecraft Again Tonight And You Are Slowing Me Down You Bad.

::stupid all-caps prevention routine i hate you::

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-07-12, 18:11

I have world maps as of about 9:30 AM when I took a snap shot to be able to put up new maps for everyone.

On the bright side, it wasn't me that tripped on the power cord. It was my 17 year old who was thoughtful enough to turn off the breaker so that she could change out a ceiling fan.

I'm very grateful for her doing the fan, though had no idea because I was at work.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-12, 18:14

Looks like the hardware rebooted around at 15:33:24 EDT, for what it's worth. The last syslog message before then was at 14:25:59 EDT and doesn't show indication of a standard soft shutdown. Did someone actually trip over the power cord?

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-12, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
It was my 17 year old who was thoughtful enough to turn off the breaker so that she could change out a ceiling fan.
That's great! I'm working on restoring the 0600 backup now. Did you save the 0930 copy somewhere else?

Off-topic (click to toggle):
Why didn't you use the saveworld.sh backup script I created? Use that and it'll pause the game properly and archive the files in the same location as the rest of the backups.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-07-12, 18:16

The backup I have is in my home folder on the server Brad. Again, at least it's from 9:30 AM.

My daughter said she had the power off for between one and two hours. My battery backup isn't going to hold that long. Sorry guys. Now I need to go be nice to her because I haven't been since finding out what she did.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2011-07-12, 18:22

LOL!!! Why did she have the power off?? All I can think of is Bill Cosby's story of the Giant Chicken Heart That Ate Detroit!!!!

Did she grease the floor and set the couch on fire???

;D

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-07-12, 18:22

Punishment should consist of staking a claim in AppleNovaland and constructing her first mine and home.

I wouldn't sweat it. Not much could have been lost from a few hours midday, amirite?

¡Damned!

2011-07-12, 18:25

More importantly, how many kids do you have? I was under the impression you had a couple of youngins, not a whole pack that are old enough to turn off breakers.

(Though, good for her for her foresight into not getting zapped, but she should probably learn the wonders of a breaker box instead of shutting the whole thing down)

So it goes.
¡Damned!

2011-07-12, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I wouldn't sweat it. Not much could have been lost from a few hours midday, amirite?
I'm going to have to re-scrub and sterilize everywhere I thought Bryson may have sat down.