Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
"Welcome back, Commander" - Command & Conquer 3
HezMah19
Formerly "jmahe19"

Send a message via AIM to HezMah19  
2006-09-29, 02:58

I dont believe I missed this!

Quote:
March, 2047. A massive nuclear fireball explodes high in the night sky, marking the dramatic beginning to the Third Tiberium War and long-awaited return of the most groundbreaking Real-time Strategy franchise (RTS) of all time.

The critically-acclaimed Command & Conquer™ (C&C) series returns with Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars™ (C&C 3). Setting the standard for the future of RTS gaming once more, C&C 3 takes you back to where it all began—the Tiberium Universe.

In 2047, Tiberium has blanketed the Earth, which is now divided into zones based on the level of Tiberium infestation. Pristine Blue Zones represent 20% of the planet’s surface and are the last refuge of the civilized world. Partially habitable Yellow Zones make up 50% of the planet’s surface; most of the world’s population lives in these war-torn and ecologically ravaged areas. The remaining 30% of the planet is uninhabitable, a Tiberium wasteland swept by violent Ion Storms. Red Zones are like the surface of an Alien planet.
EA Official Site

This is a fantastic discovery for me as I love the C&C serries, thought I would share incase there are any other RTS - C&C Fans on the Board...must say, the trailer looks like it should be a fun dip back to the roots of the Command & Conquer serries.

Any other fans out there? I would love to also hear any reccomendations for other RTS games that you enjoy, as my game library is a tad outdated (Read: 3-5 years since last purchase).

jm.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-29, 03:02

The original C&C and C&C: Red Alert were great, but anything after? Meh.
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2006-09-29, 03:25

yeah i agree, Red Alert Aftermath was the best. I hope they come out with a classic release for the mac.
v.noir

2006-09-29, 18:48

Genius, they'd better make a Mac version. A more realistic assumption is that Aspyr or someone will port it, but I really hope they make a native version themselves for once. That'd be good for me and my G4. Hopefully. Fingers crossed!

...and all the wolves were found upside-down in a box!
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-29, 19:02

Total annihilation > C&C

And for that matter.... Supreme Commander > C&C 3(most likely)
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-09-29, 19:02

Or it really is time to buy that Intel Mac so you can get your game on.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for Dune. I'm totally playing that again when i get my Intel Mac.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
BlueApple

2006-09-29, 19:30

I definitely love C&C series, but if only Blizzard would make StarCraft 2...
Wrao
Yarp

2006-09-29, 19:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueApple View Post
I definitely love C&C series, but if only Blizzard would make StarCraft 2...
I'm sure they will. I mean, the wow beast has effectively taken over Blizzard HQ, but they still have Diablo and Starcraft to deal with. As is, I think that Warcraft is dead as an RTS, and if anything will continue with more RPG styled games(single player variant of WoW maybe?) That leaves Starcraft to pickup the slack from their renowned RTS legacy. Additionally Diablo 3 is likely to be made, or otherwise a game that is like Diablo. Certainly the end of Lord of Destruction left things open for a sequel.

And then Blizzard may have a completely new Franchise in development... or maybe WoW has truly consumed them and the rest of Blizzard as we know it is gone.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-29, 20:02

I don't think that blizzard is capable of doing anything but MMORPGs.

They canned Starcraft Ghost.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2006-09-29, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
I don't think that blizzard is capable of doing anything but MMORPGs.

They canned Starcraft Ghost.
The problem was Ghost was that it was a console based game. They kept adding new things and tweaking the development, until ultimately it wasn't worth it to bring the game into production for the final days of the consoles that it was being developed for.

I'm still hoping to see the revival of Starcraft as an RTS.

Diablo II is starting to look long in tooth as well. But this hasn't stopped me from creating a new character and wasting all of my free time on it.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
washington mac user
can't read

2006-09-29, 21:16

Well here is something to read about for all the people waiting on Starcraft 2.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/727/727892p1.html

Quote:
August 24, 2006 - While our meeting with Blizzard Chief Operating Officer Paul Sams today at the German Games Convention mainly focused on The Burning Crusade, the upcoming expansion for World of Warcraft, we did ask him about what the future holds in store for Blizzard, and specifically about StarCraft 2.

"StarCraft is my absolutely favorite game of all time," Sams told us. "As you probably already know, there is no doubt that we will continue the StarCraft and Diablo franchise, and trust me, I will be the happiest person in the world when we announce StarCraft 2."

While Sams wasn't ready to spill the beans just yet, he did say Blizzard "will have a major product announcement in 2007," and that Blizzard was currently working on at least three other unannounced titles at the moment.

In terms of what these games could be, we asked if they would fall in line with the major success Blizzard has had with World of Warcraft. "I want to be clear that we're not just content to be an MMO company," Sams explained. "Some other companies get into the role of making just MMOs, but Blizzard lets the developers pick what they want to work on, and it's not all MMOs."

When asked about StarCraft: Ghost, Sams said that it was on indefinite hold, but that Blizzard wasn't averse to exploring further console development in the future. "We've been up to MS and they've been at our office talking about Vista and 360," Sams said, "and we're certainly excited about some of the tools they have to offer in the console world as well as with Vista and DirectX 10. However, with our own online gaming service, we're going to pick and choose what we want to use; we're going to protect Battle.net and make sure Battle.net ranks supreme."
I love reading that quote with Blizzard COO Paul Sams. Computer games are going to pwn on DirectX 10!!!!!

Oh yea here is more good news for Mac gaming.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...2006/9/14/5295

Quote:
Blizzard brings Havok physics engine to the Mac

Havok, the big-name physics engine that is used in many popular PC and console games, has been licensed for the Mac by Blizzard Entertainment (maker of World of Warcraft and Diablo), making this the first time that Havok has ever been licensed for the Mac platform. Havok is already cross-platform, but rumors of the high-cost of licensing it for the Mac have supposedly barred it from being licensed up until now and is cited as the reason for the demise of many potentially-awesome Mac games.

Havok is cross-platform and has been used on major PC and console games such as Halo 2, Half Life 2, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and many other top-selling titles. Its absence on the Mac up until now — rumored to be due mainly to the high cost of licensing the technology — has led to the outright cancellation of Mac game projects such as Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, and has contributed to the demise of other, unannounced projects from major Mac game publishers.

Havok 4.0 was released earlier this year with various updates to the physics engine and two new additions to the suite:

Released in July this year, Havok 4.0 is a modular suite of artist tools and run-time technology that enhances Havok’s industry-leading game-play physics and animation products (Havok Physics™ and Havok Animation™). It also introduced two new products - Havok Behavior™ and Havok FX™.

So what could this mean for the future of Mac gaming? Lots and lots of possibilities, for sure. Blizzard says that they "looking forward to utilizing this technology with our upcoming games" with no real tips as to what those upcoming games might be, although we are sure that Mac gamers are already frothing at the mouth over the announcement. Will Infinite Loop be forced into an arranged marriage with Opposable Thumbs because of this? Only time will tell...