It's been good knowing you all...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
It's been good knowing you all...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-10-23, 22:31

I might be dead tomorrow morning. I'm sitting here alone in my house, well my mom and sister are sleeping, my brothers are out at the bar. I hear a foot step on the linoleum by my front door. I hear this sound 30x a day, it's what you hear when you are wearing shoes and step onto it.

So, there is a killer in my house, and I don't think I can make it to the kitchen in time to grab a knife, and while I'm probably paranoid, I did hear that sound and not sure what else it could be.

My defense? My non belligerent dog who is sleeping and could only lick the killer to death, a screw driver 3 feet from me which I'm thinking about grabbing, an dmy computer as a shield to block the knife.

So what do I do? Probably sit here until my brothers get home, but I'm pissed because I wanted to watch jon stewart at 11:35, and i'm stuck in a corner chair staring at the entrance to the room so I can see if somebody comes in.

Ok, here is the deal, I'm going to grab the screw driver, and move to another chair, I'll watch TV from that chair and be able to partially monitor the entrance to the room, but I'll have the screw driver.

So we'll see how it goes, but hopefully talk to you all tomorrow. If I die, one of you suns of a bitches better let everyone know about this story!

Oh and by the way, I'm selling my ER-6i earphones on eBay and thought I'd let people know, if I live, it'll be good to have this money.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-23, 22:58

Ever think of calling 911 in hushed tones instead of posting to Aldo? If you're really worried though, get the fuck out of the house... use a window if you have to.

...into the light of a dark black night.
ast3r3x

2004-10-23, 23:05

I'm fine so far. I doubt there is really a killer in my house, but I'd love to know what the step was.

I get freaked out very easily, and have a vivid imagination.

I'm talking to someone on IM now, and it's just I've heard tons of sounds in my house, but never that unique step sound.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-10-23, 23:25

What timing!!!

I'm watching "Child's Play" at the moment. Sounds like you're having all the fun.

OK, I don't mean to be insensitive, so take it smart. But chances are it is nothing. Especially with the temperature changes (more common between Fall and winter) making all those horror-movie squeaks.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
ast3r3x

2004-10-23, 23:35

Brothers are home and body has be stabbed yet. So I guess I can go to bed, now. Glad I have a knife beside my bed though...and I'm not kidding, I always do
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-23, 23:54

Wouldn't it be nice to own a gun and be properly trained to use it in times like these? Made all the difference to me.

I have a Beretta (with a full clip, one already chambered) mounted to the back of my nightstand (drilled the holster clip in from the rear, bolted flush, mounting barrel away from me). Totally hidden, no one can see it, but it's an arm's reach away as I'm lying in bed...reach, grab, slide safety off, etc.

My bedroom is situated in the rear corner, where my head is only about eight feet from the back door and I can see, diagonally out my bedroom door to the living room/front door.

I sleep like a baby...a hollow-point-equipped baby who can easily see both access points to his house from his bed.

Goo-goo-gaa...

Anyone ever breaking in on Paulie maybe should've chosen a different line of work...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-10-24, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Wouldn't it be nice to own a gun and be properly trained to use it in times like these? Made all the difference to me.

I have a Beretta (with a full clip, one already chambered) mounted to the back of my nightstand (drilled the holster clip in from the rear, bolted flush, mounting barrel away from me).
is it orange?
ast3r3x

2004-10-24, 00:28

Beretta? I'd go for the desert eagle...of course I'd go for the white gold so it shines, orange is too bold.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-10-24, 00:45

Oh, brother!
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-10-24, 00:55

big guns in a small space are stupid. you want something compact and easy to handle.

a desert eagle would be a mess.

a nice small sig saur in the right place would work like a charm.

of course, i'm a big fan of just getting a dog that will protect the house. much better deterrent than a hidden gun, although more expensive.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-10-24, 00:58

I'm a fan of an 18" slug-bore 16 ga. with 00 shot. Short enough to not get caught in doorways and such, long enough to be used effectively as a club/staff, and if you do fire it, you're going to cause a wide dispersal pattern that'll hit just about anything you vaguely aim it at... without going through a wall and hitting someone you didn't mean to.

One blast with that, and then follow up by beating them with it. Gotta love it.

Ditto on the dog though. Avoid yappers and growlers. The silent ones are the good guards.

Last edited by Kickaha : 2004-10-24 at 01:03.
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2004-10-24, 01:42

Quote:
I have a Beretta (with a full clip, one already chambered) mounted to the back of my nightstand (drilled the holster clip in from the rear, bolted flush, mounting barrel away from me). Totally hidden, no one can see it, but it's an arm's reach away as I'm lying in bed...reach, grab, slide safety off, etc.
Good lord, dude, why not just tell us the combination to your safe while you're at it. Any takers on raiding the nightstand when Paul's not home and replacing the gun with a banana?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-10-24, 01:56

I think ast3r3x sounds a mite paranoid and am wondering if he is doing any drugs currently....for real. It sounds like you're reacting to something, either drugs or something else. You don't need to have any weapons on hand if you're hearing things, you could hurt someone you love unintentionally. Pauly Scates is an assasin, don't try his techniques at home.

Unless you live in a cardboard shack in the middle of Rio it is unlikely that you will encounter intruders in a normal situation.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-10-24, 02:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x
Beretta? I'd go for the desert eagle...of course I'd go for the white gold so it shines, orange is too bold.
autodata
hustlin

2004-10-24, 02:14

Quote:

I wish my town allowed handguns, but, sadly, they are banned. Can't say I blame anyone for banning them, though, considering the close proximity of multiple pockets of both gang violence and houses no cheaper than $800K. It's like some weird socioeconomic quilt, and our common bond is that it's old and everyone across the spectrum loves living here.

Anyway, I can't do much with my bows, and I'm bored with rifles.
Argento
I puked at work.
Because I'm a pussy.

2004-10-24, 03:40

Problem number two with owning a dessert eagle is the thing is a God damn hand cannon and you are responsible for every bullet you fire. You fire a dessert eagle it'll easily pass through the body of whom ever you're goign to shoot, go throw your house, to the next one, and possibly on to the next one after that.

And All That Could Have Been
ast3r3x

2004-10-24, 06:51

No drugs, just get paranoid at night. This thread was also slightly in jest (I know I sound like Messiahtosh) at how freaked out I can get, although basically 100% true. It's not that I thought there was a killer in my house, but what else makes these mimicking sounds sometime?

As for handguns, I'm not really an advocate for them, and I don't think when I'm 21 that I'll actually buy one. I just said desert eagle because if I'm going to own one, I want somebody down after one shot, and making it through a wall might be useful in my house.

Kick...I'm sorry but I've completely missed your joke, haha I'm sure at my expense so it doesn't really matter, but not only do I not know what that word means, that kid looks nothing like me...and a tad younger
drewprops
Space Pirate

2004-10-24, 07:58

I assume that you're talking about the DE.45 and not the 9mm. Remember, a Desert Eagle will take the meat off your hand if you're not careful with the action.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-10-24, 08:43

Big Boys, with Big Guns, exercising their 2nd Amendment rights!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-24, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigVan
Good lord, dude, why not just tell us the combination to your safe while you're at it. Any takers on raiding the nightstand when Paul's not home and replacing the gun with a banana?
Goober, do you think you know where I live, and could actually get in to pull that off? That's a pretty complicated little plan there, hinging on quite a few things!

I think I'm safe from any such hi-jinks from any of you.

And just to clarify (in case any of the borderline hand-wringing I read here is any indication): I sincerely, truly pray that I never, ever, EVER have to use it. I don't want to, I don't think it's cool, I'm not "waiting for it", etc. But there are no shades of gray on this one, guys. If I'm in bed, sleeping and minding my own business, and someone comes in a 3:30am, I know they're not there to share a meal, watch a movie with me or have a beer and talk about women.

I've been lucky my entire life (but those close to me haven't been so) and while I hope my good luck truly continues the rest of my life, the fact is I will not hesitate if it came down to that.

I'm not going for the ShawnPatrick Humanitarian Tolerance Scholarship, so spare me any lectures.

I'm no "gun nut" (never bought a gun magazine, don't go to gun shows, don't belong to the NRA, don't take the gun out in public, in my car, etc.) so some of you put your big smart-ass broad brushes back in the bucket, won't you? You have no idea what you're talking about. It stays where it is, securely, and only exists for one purpose.

I practice at a range several times a year, keep up on safety and maintenance stuff, etc. In other words, I'm doing it all as legit and safely as someone should who chooses to own one. I take it seriously and owning a gun does not automatically lump me in with an unsavory element. I'm not fucking Joe Pesci, carrying it in my waistband and going into bars and looking for trouble. Judging by some threads here and elsewhere, I'm probably more law-abiding and goody two-shoes than most here!

I'll be happy as a clam if I make it through the next 40 years and never have to reach for it. I'm not looking to, believe me. That would be the most horrible moment someone could ever be faced with.

As for the "unless you're living in Rio in a box, you shouldn't have to worry", that's a pretty weird statement. You're aware and up on the crime statistics, break-in and home invasion situations in every community in America? I'm sure the couple five houses up from mine would love to talk to you. Oh wait, he's still nursing a broken jaw and cut forehead...you'll have to wait.

I got this thing for a very specific, valid reason. Not because I was looking to be a "big boy, playing with my big gun". Anyone buying into that and tossing that kind of stuff around (and letting any clichéd, knee-jerk anti-gun hysteria guide them) is completely off base and knows nothing of the situation as it pertains to me.

I'll be so happy if this thing just sits in its holster from here out...believe me. But I'm simply not interested in relying on a baseball bat or monkey wrench (or dialing 911 and hoping they show up in time), should the unthinkable ever occur. I'd prefer not to be another sad story on the next day's local news. Too many of them this year, where I live.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-10-24 at 09:48.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-10-24, 09:46

Man, the "Desert Eagle" has gotten all sorts of UNWORTHY praise since Counter-Strike came out...
SKMDC

2004-10-24, 09:46

I fully support your right to arm bears, I realized the hypocrisy years ago of the 1st amendment being sacred and the 2nd not.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-24, 09:49

Arm bears?

Rawwrrrr!

Oh, I don't hunt either (just looking to dispel whatever other bullcrap some of you might've conjured up). I truly couldn't imagine shooting something as cute as a deer, duck or bear! That's something I've just never understood, even though I've grown up around it and the whole "hunting culture". I'm the lone "pussy hold-out" who's never gone hunting (and doesn't want to). And believe me, I've taken lots of crap and ribbing for it over the years, but I just won't do it.

I kill an occasional large spider from time to time, that's about the extent of it.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-10-24 at 09:57.
SKMDC

2004-10-24, 09:59

When I was in cub scouts we went to a range to shoot, I took one shot put the gun down and quit the scouts the next day.

I was really just trying to prick the "macho ballon" that seemed to be growing in this thread.

But I was totally serious, I believe you have the right to own a gun.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
ast3r3x

2004-10-24, 10:06

Man I'd love to go hunting. Well actually I just want to snipe things with a rifle, so there is no reason for me to go hunting.

Quote:
The Founding Fathers were sitting around a table sometime in 1776, working on the constitution. It had been a long day.

Father1: Whew! It's getting rather warm in here, isn't it?

Father2: Shall I open the window?

Father1: No, that's alright. I'll just take off my jacket, and roll up my sleeves.

Father2: Hey, that's a good idea. Why don't we include that in the constitution?

Father1: What? That we're allowed to take our jackets off and roll up our sleeves while at work?

Father2: Yeah, but that doesn't sound very smooth. How about "Everyone shall have the right to bare arms?"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-24, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
When I was in cub scouts we went to a range to shoot, I took one shot put the gun down and quit the scouts the next day.

I was really just trying to prick the "macho ballon" that seemed to be growing in this thread.

But I was totally serious, I believe you have the right to own a gun.
Well, you're just not a gun guy. Fair enough, I can totally respect that, and would never mock or deride anyone for that (kinda wish it worked the other way around sometimes).

But I'm not exactly a "gun guy" either and I didn't intend to start any "macho balloon" stuff. I was only letting asterixkeiexe know that my particular scenario works for me, and gives me peace of mind (I feel protected with a powerful weapon close at hand, and my bedroom is located in just the right position to where I can easily see both entrances to my place...those are two things that go a long way to making me rest easy at night, that's all). I don't ever WANT to go that route, but if it comes down to it, then all bets are off. Sorry if that sounds "macho". I just call it "honesty".

And I'm glad you support the right, but, honestly, I don't think much of it. I'm not a big "Second Amendment" freak by any stretch. I registered, took some courses, go to a range a few times a year just to keep up on it, etc. and don't think much of the whole thing beyond that, truth to told.

I've got no desire for an AK-47 and so forth. I play by the rules, did everything I needed to, got the proper licensing and training, and that's that.

I hope it's all for nothing, in the end (the training, the fees, the maintenance, etc.). That would be my preference. But it is certainly nice to know I'm covered, either way. I truly feel safer, in the end, this way. And that's all that's really important to me. Whether or not it's accepted or admired here, amongst total strangers (where a few possibly harbor a deep anti-gun bent to begin with), doesn't really factor in.

To-mat-o, Be-rett-a...

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2004-10-24 at 10:48.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2004-10-24, 10:45

I just have a nicely sawed-off composite hockey stick handle (about 2.5' long) tucked behind my bed post... and I wake easily. Half the time when I hear something that isn't a normal noise, I'm up, with skull-smasher in hand, stalking silently into the hallway. One clean thwack and you're on the floor, either writhing in pain or unconscious.

...into the light of a dark black night.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-10-24, 10:52

See? No difference in underlying thinking, just the tool preferred. I would just prefer the hand's off method (getting too close to a tough guy, someone ballsy and mean enough to break into your place to begin with, isn't something I'm willing to risk). I'm a lover, not a fighter. And I'd prefer to do business from a safe 8-10' away. I guess I could pack some lawn darts under my bed too, for low-level deterrence?

Besides, I don't play hockey and don't have a stick.

When hockey sticks are outlawed, only outlaws will have hockey sticks.

dmz

2004-10-24, 13:34

16 ga without "the plug" alternated Buckshot, Slug, Buckshot, Slug.....

(probably loose my hearing, though)
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-10-24, 13:52

Hey Moogs, right on man.

I have a 3 foot long club under my bed, and my trust Louisville Slugger downstairs. I also keep a Jo (Japanese Short Staff) in my van, beside the seat. I'm pretty good with it.

Yeah, it's pretty much a stick, but it's harder than a friggin' bat.

Basically I like to have something handy to club some dude's head in at all times.