User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

How to Link Screennames in Mac AIM

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
How to Link Screennames in Mac AIM
JK47

2005-08-10, 12:17

I wanted to know if anyone knows how to link screennames in the Mac version of AIM? I know how to do it on PC's, but the feature seems to be missing in the Mac version. If the feature really is excluded, does anyone know another program (Such as Adium) that supports the feature?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-10, 14:38

What exactly do you mean by "linking" screen names?
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-10, 14:40

I believe it's when you are signed on to two screen names at one time through the same app.

Adium allows this. I'd really recommend you use Adium over AIM. AIM sucks, Adium doesn't. End of story

Come waste your time with me
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2005-08-10, 14:55

*Insert rant about screen name whores who rotate through a dozen names daily*

Oh yeah, AIM for Mac is shitty. The only reason I keep it is for when friends come over and need to use the computer, but are unfamiliar with Adium or iChat.

You ask me for a hamburger.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-10, 14:57

Screw them. You shouldn't make them use AIM, you should allow them to use a superior program like Adium (and to a lesser extent, iChat.) Trash AIM and never look back.

onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

Send a message via AIM to onlyafterdark  
2005-08-10, 15:00

I do the same as atomicbartbeans. Thats one of the reasons I have MSN Messenger on my PB (none of my friends use AIM).

That way they are a little familiar with the program instead of me having to show them how to use Adium every time they use my computer.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-10, 15:05

Don't let them use your computer.

Why show them one of the worst written apps for the Mac when there's so much better stuff out there? And, with all due respect to your friends, if you can't use Adium after about 30 seconds of exploring it, you're pretty thick.

On another note...A friend of mine had used my PowerBook in the past and at first was a little unsure of Adium. However, before long she got so used to it and so used to the Mac that a week ago she ordered a new iBook and plans on installing Adium as soon as she gets it.

atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-08-10, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
Screw them. You shouldn't make them use AIM, you should allow them to use a superior program like Adium (and to a lesser extent, iChat.) Trash AIM and never look back.
I don't make them use AIM, they insist on it. They hate iChat because you can't make a profile (I use Panther). I mean what the hell do you need a profile for? The people you talk to already know you anyways.

You ask me for a hamburger.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-08-10, 15:19

Quote:
Don't let them use your computer.

Why show them one of the worst written apps for the Mac when there's so much better stuff out there? And, with all due respect to your friends, if you can't use Adium after about 30 seconds of exploring it, you're pretty thick.
The main problem is that they dont want to use it. They always crap on me for using a mac but Im the first person they come to when their POS PC stops working.

Maybe your right, Ill just stop letting them use my computer.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-10, 15:19

Pfft...teenagers. I can say that because it's my birthday today and I'm not a teenager anymore!

Adium has profiles. Get rid of AIM, if they don't want to use your computer anymore as a result, all the better for you.

onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-08-10, 15:44

You know whats even funnier? They arent teenagers. Im 20 and my friends are either 20 or older.

The problem is that these particular friends are a little inept when it comes to computers and dont like to be told otherwise. They are the strong PC types I guess.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2005-08-10, 15:44

Can't you just go to Buddies-->Change my profile

I have Tiger, but I thought I could do this in Panther as well. I could be wrong...
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-10, 15:45

Not in iChat you can't. iChat is an Apple specific app that doesn't allow the use of profiles.
Random Hero

2005-08-10, 15:58

Quote:
Pfft...teenagers. I can say that because it's my birthday today and I'm not a teenager anymore!
Congrats.

Oh, and welcome to life after the fun.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

2005-08-10, 16:08

Yeah, happy birthday.
onlyafterdark
Sucker for shiny objects

2005-08-10, 16:18

Yes, you are now past your peak as a man. Welcome to the club.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2005-08-10, 16:39

Once again, I just wanna restate that iChat supports jabber and most jabber servers support "transports" to other chat networks.

I access AOL, Yahoo, Jabber, and MSN all from within iChat.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-10, 16:43

Quote:
Not in iChat you can't. iChat is an Apple specific app that doesn't allow the use of profiles.
iChat 3.0 under Tiger does allow the use of profiles.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-10, 16:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Hero
Congrats.

Oh, and welcome to life after the fun.
Dude, the fun is just getting started. I won't reach my peak as a man until I'm dead, and hopefully that's a long way off.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-10, 16:53

Just remember to take breaks when playing video games for long stints!
rasmits
rams it

2005-08-10, 23:08

Am I the only one on the planet that hates Adium?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-10, 23:12

Probably, yeah.

It has a few quirks that I dislike, but otherwise I find it's the cream of the crop.
sirnick4
I was knighted

Send a message via AIM to sirnick4  
2005-08-10, 23:18

I think I might actually agree with you rasmits..

I tried it out, but don't really like it too much. I like how it lets me set my prefs to basically to whatever I want, and how it combines chat clients.. But..

I'm hooked to iChat's user interface. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to it...

Deal with it.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-11, 01:49

iChat's interface is a bit un-Mac like for me. It's pretty busy and loud, which goes against the simplicity I've come to enjoy from the Mac. The name of the game for me is simplicity. Adium lets me customize things so that it's really minimalist. Little buddy list that stays out of my way, small and simple chat boxes with a simple and easy to read format, tabbed chats. I'm no Adium fanboi, I know there's a lot of room for improvement there, but it's a beta release. The developers keep improving on an already outstanding app, and I like that.

JK47

2005-08-12, 13:51

Thanks for all the quick responses guys, I think I'll make the switch to Adium tonight.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-12, 15:09

Best choice you'll ever make

Not really, but you'll certainly be using a superior app
Carlos Net

Send a message via AIM to Carlos Net Send a message via MSN to Carlos Net  
2005-08-14, 09:23

---Am I the only one on the planet that hates Adium?---

'Not exactly' is the only answer I can give to that. I used Adium at one point briefly, and I absolutely one hundred percent ADORED its interface. The buddy list, customisability (I set it to use the iChat sounds because they rock). However, despite how much I adored it, I couldn't bring myself to use it, because it's so severely limited in terms of features as an MSN client (which is what I'd essentially be using it for, since all my friends use MSN). Its emoticon support might as well not be there, its file transfer is slower than a slow thing that graduated with honours from Slow University in the town of Slowville in Slowtonia on the planet Slow, its display picture support is quirky (occasionally I saw other people's display pics, occasionally I didn't, and vice versa), et cetera, et cetera. I'm sorry, but unless a third-party client is absolutely PERFECT, I'm always going to stick to the official client for MSN, because no matter how much Microsoft cheat us out of features, those that are there WORK. Now that, with MS Messenger:mac 5.0, we have full emoticon-recieving support complete with animation, AND display pictures, ins the official client, I can't see myself ever switching to a third-party one, no matter how much nicer the interface is.

For Yahoo or AIM, which don't emphasise 'special features' nearly as much and seem overall much 'cleaner', I'd be much more open to third-party clients like Adium. However, I have no use for Yahoo IM at all, and for AIM I already have iChat, and wouldn't dream of using anything else
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-08-14, 09:49

Wow Carlos! Thanks for telling about Messenger 5.0! When did it come out? I didn't know until today.

But it's pretty awesome!