Odd -- iTunes 5 updating LOTS of songs on my iPod

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Odd -- iTunes 5 updating LOTS of songs on my iPod
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-09-15, 22:03

This is just weird...

I plugged my 3rd gen 40 gig iPod into my iBook for the first time in a couple weeks (first time it's seen iTunes 5, then), and right now, it's copying/updating half of my 5000+ songs.

It doesn't seem to be duplicating them, because the remaining disk space looks like it'll end up the same as it was before. And, many -- if not all -- of those songs have been on both my iBook & iPod for much, much longer than two weeks.

What's going on here?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2005-09-15, 22:07

Did you change any tags? Play any of them recently? Rate them? Add album art or lyrics? Any of these things will make iTunes resync.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-09-15, 22:53

Yes, it's a weird bug with iTunes 5. If you play a song, it'll resync it. I'm not sure why it's doing this now, but never (that I have seen) did it earlier.
rasmits
rams it

2005-09-16, 00:49

I heard someone else on the boards saying this was happening to them.
bb823

Send a message via AIM to bb823  
2005-09-16, 00:52

Yeah, this happens to me too. I didn't change anything in iTunes or in my iPod, and it updates all of the songs that I've listened to. Strange, and even more, annoying.
revolution

Send a message via AIM to revolution  
2005-09-16, 05:02

This happens to me as well. Does this mean that the iPod is going to have a playcount on it in the future??
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-09-16, 09:54

It happened to me too. Out of the 3113 songs I have on my computer it updated about 200 of them the first time I plugged in my iPod after the update to iTunes 5. It was very weird. I know those songs hadn't been deleted from my iPod or anything because some of the songs that updated I had just listened to that day.

Come waste your time with me
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-09-16, 12:17

Been happening to me. Annoying, because updating takes longer and because it's working the iPod's HDD more than necessary, which isn't good for it. (OK, I know we're talking about a relatively insignificant amount of HDD activity, but a finite number of uses is just that - finite).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-09-16, 12:27

I believe iTunes 5 is riddled with bugs and glitches. Take a glance at Apple's iTunes/iPod support forums, and you'll see.

I posted a thread here yesterday about my friend not being able to transfer recent iTMS purchases to her iPod after installing iTunes 5 yesterday morning.

Seems there are gobs of problems involving syncing, transfering, iTunes recognizing the iPod, people losing music or settings, etc.

I'm awaiting an official Apple update/fix, because all the workarounds and "fixes" I see posted by others are drastic, multi-step pain-in-the-butt procedures that neither my friend (or myself) wants to fool with.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-09-16 at 12:29.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-09-16, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBand0026
It happened to me too. Out of the 3113 songs I have on my computer it updated about 200 of them the first time I plugged in my iPod after the update to iTunes 5. It was very weird. I know those songs hadn't been deleted from my iPod or anything because some of the songs that updated I had just listened to that day.
That's WHY they were updated. Play counts, last time played, etc., are all updated on the iPod and in iTunes. It may be that the entire song file isn't transfered - I don't know because moving a song is so fast anyway.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-09-16, 13:16

No - iTunes is retransferring the entire song file, not just the playcounts, etc (which is what used to happen).
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-09-16, 13:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
No - iTunes is retransferring the entire song file, not just the playcounts, etc (which is what used to happen).
Exactly. Prior to plugging it into iTunes 5, I knew that I had nearly 5000 songs on my iPod already, and with all the other data stored on there, I didn't have more than 3 or 4 gigs of space left.

Then, after starting it up into iTunes 5, there was suddenly 15 gigs or so of free space, and the songs started copying over to the iPod. I'm pretty sure that none are duplicate files, because when it got done, the amount of free space on the iPod was basically the same as I remember from before.

I'm plugging it in again now to see what happens...

Hmm -- nope, this time everything was normal.

It's hard to tell whether this is a serious problem, because I don't appear to have lost anything, and it hasn't happened more than once. Like I said, "Odd."
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2005-09-16, 14:19

Serious or not, it is a recurring problem (at least for me). I also have found that general iPod updating has been hit-or-miss since iTunes 5.

Play a few songs in iTunes w/o the iPod connected, then reconnect the iPod. I'd be surprised if the same thing doesn't happen to you again.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-09-16, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
Play a few songs in iTunes w/o the iPod connected, then reconnect the iPod. I'd be surprised if the same thing doesn't happen to you again.
Well, you're not gonna be surprised -- it did it again, even after playing just three tracks on the computer.

Dang it...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2005-09-16, 23:03

Funny. I just synced my iPod nano and it didn't update a bunch of songs. It looks like it's hit or miss. That defines a bug, I think.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
alexluft

2005-09-17, 09:31

Yepp; similar thing happened to me, only that it DUPLICATED my songs. I went from having ~14GB left to having 5GB left; then I formatted my iPod and made iTunes resync everything...seems ok now.

Also, I just opened up iTunes and in my main library I saw a bunch of songs with ! marked next to them...meaning that iTunes can't find them. I realized that some of those were songs that I have previously deleted (and they weren't in my library) and emptied the trash, and then they reappeared again. Hmm.

The other songs (here is the weirdest thing) with ! marks were files that have not even been on my Mac for at least a month now. I copied a couple of real estate CDs for my mom - took the original, dragged the files into a folder, and then burned to a blank cd and deleted them and emptied the trash- and now those tracks are in my library!!! Why does iTunes 5 do this???? It's so annoying.
BarracksSi
BANNED

2005-09-17, 10:08

I think we're finding out why this is iTunes 5.0 and not iTunes 4.10...

(you know, how people stay away from the .0 releases of software)