Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

Canuckistan iWatches

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Canuckistan iWatches
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-03-18, 09:03

Do you guys know if the blood Oxygen reading is disabled on Canadian iWatches as well as American? I sorta need this feature, and the Apple chatbot doesn't seem to be able to answer...

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2024-03-18, 09:34

It's an advertised feature on Apple.com/ca, and Canada is not the USA where the ruling applies, so it looks like we're set.

I guess it's possible they might sue in Canada too for the same reason, but for now, you're good.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-03-18, 10:37

I guess it's good. I'm sometimes a little paranoid that cross border product info is not accurate, I've seen it on some other electronics/services, though usually the other way around - product features advertised in both Can and US are nonetheless not available in Canada but even the documentation doesn't show it, you only find out when you call customer support.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2024-03-18, 14:36

Usually in cases like that Apple couldn’t be bothered to make separate software versions for a small market like Canada. I suspect as long as it’s disabled in the US it will be dead here too.
¡Damned!

2024-03-19, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
It's an advertised feature on Apple.com/ca, and Canada is not the USA where the ruling applies, so it looks like we're set.
On the US Apple Store it says "The ability to measure blood oxygen is no longer available on Apple Watch units sold by Apple in the United States beginning January 18, 2024. These are indicated with part numbers ending in LW/A." so I'd assume it's a US ban only as well.

So it goes.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-03-19, 10:55

I think it does not affect any Apple Watches outside of USA, for now...

Apple.ca - says O2 monitoring still available.
Apple.com - indicates no longer available as of Jan 18, 2024.

But what does Apple help say?

I hit up the Apple chatbot via Apple.ca, and I'm not sure it understands me. I asked it "do Canadian market Apple watches still support reading blood oxygen," and it said this: "Ah, the Apple Watch no longer offers the blood oxygen sensor anymore, unfortunately." I'm not sure if I confused it because in the preamble to my question I first wrote, "I have read that Apple has disabled this feature on new watches sold in the USA..."

So, I called the help number and opened by telling the customer service rep that I was calling from Toronto Canada and asked where he was located, which he said was in the US. Then I asked him about Canadian Watches and he said that they still support O2 monitoring in the Ultra/Ultra2 and Series 9 sold in Canada (or anywhere outside the USA)

So there you have it. I have one coming. I'll confirm for ya'll in a couple of days.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2024-03-24, 19:30

Just set it up. I can confirm that oxygen monitoring remains functional on Canadian market Apple Watches. :-)
drewprops
Space Pirate

2024-03-24, 21:13

Can You Get Us Some??!!