Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What did *you* cook?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What did *you* cook?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-11-26, 03:06

Today was a proud day for me. I've always either had Thanksgiving dinner with family (ie. someone else made it) or gone out to eat. Well, this year I decided to start a new tradition and prepare Thanksgiving dinner all on my own. A daunting task for someone whose dinner usually consists of Chef Boyardee, frozen dinners, or PB&J? Ha! You bet'cha!

So, I went shopping last weekend and stocked up on the ingredients I thought I'd need. Eggs, milk, cans of stuff, etc. Then, today, I cooked up a meal including a honey-glazed ham, corn bread muffins, cranberry sauce, scalloped potatoes with cheese, green beans, and two pumpkin pies. Mmm mmm! The little lady had a good idea, too, and fixed us a batch of deviled eggs.

Of course, I had to photograph and document such an historic event.

Did anyone here do any fancy cooking for Thanksgiving? Or did you leave it to family or the local Golden Corral to do all the cooking for you?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-11-26, 03:07

Me and 2 friends fasted today. They intend to continue fasting till sunday, but I wasn't too hip to the idea to begin with(as I fast from time to time anyway) So I'll break it tomorrow.

Last edited by Wrao : 2004-11-26 at 03:12.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 03:33

Wrao, that's just twisted.

I didn't cook anything this year, being an utter BASKET CASE with work, but my wife made the most incredible pecan pies. I've never had ones this good, they were just amazing. We took one to family dinner, and I have a whole other one sitting in the kitchen just waiting for me.
¡Damned!

2004-11-26, 12:09

We (gf+i) *officially* have our Thanksgiving 2 weeks from now. Generally we both head to our respective sides of the state to be with our families, but this year the roads were so shitty she ended up coming home with me. My mother is a horrible cook, so we ended up not taking to many leftovers.

The official feast 2 weeks later:

Spent-brewery-grain-fed farm raised turkey (farmer friend of mine) stuffed with oranges, apples, rosemary and sage. Basted in fresh apple cider.

Home-made stuffing (sans bird cavity). And yes, I bake my own sourdough croutons.

Roasted garlic mashed potatos.

Baby carrots sauteed in turkey pan drippings.

Baked yams with marshmallow topping (for her, I loathe yams).

Baked green bean casserole with portabello mushrooms.

Home-made turkey gravy with portabellos.

And last but not least, home-made Apple pie with cheddar cheese topping. My lattice-work rules.

(Actually, deviled eggs sound like the perfect addition. Yum)

So it goes.
johnd

2004-11-26, 14:33

I will be serving my traditional meal on Sunday since I was travelling Thursday. I really enjoy preparing and serving this meal for my Norwegian family.

For serving 10:

8 kilo turkey with crab stuffing
lots of mashed potatoes
yams with marshmellows
cranberry sauce
bacon wrapped beans with onions
creamy giblet gravy with mushrooms
hot rolls

pumpkin pie (canned pumpkin)
pecan pie
strawberry cheese cake
expresso with fresh ground beans
whipped cream
store bought ice cream for the kids

I use the joy of cooking 1953 edition for guidance

In Bangkok I had a Matsusaka beef dinner at "Vertigo" with clients for Thanksgiving. This is an open air restaurant at the top of the Banyan Tree Hotel (62th floor). Great view of the city.
EmC

2004-11-26, 16:58

I made a chocolate pecan pie. We took it over to my aunt and uncle's house. There, we had a smoked turkey, baked turkey, ham, mashed potatos, sweet potatos, yellow squash casserole, stuffing, turkey gravy, and cranberry chutney.

For dessert there was my pie along with a pumpkin pie, a pumpkin cheesecake, and of course tons of fresh whipped cream to go on top. I am stuffed, now I leave for leftovers. MMmmmm.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽