User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Rumors = Purchasing Now Is A Big Mistake?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Rumors = Purchasing Now Is A Big Mistake?
Mr. X

2004-12-31, 01:25

All of these rumors about MWSF....

iLife '05, a possible office suite.....

Did I just make a mistake ordering a new iBook 14? Should I try to cancel everything and place a new order after I see what's coming out? Or would it be simple to install iLife updates (and an office suite) where it wouldn't matter...?

Urgh. I can't believe I didn't consider MWSF until tonight. I may have made a big mistake placing this order two weeks too soon.
Wrao
Yarp

2004-12-31, 01:29

I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing new iBooks at MWSF, they were bumped not that long ago(at least it doesn't seem like that long ago)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-31, 01:30

Purchasing advice = General Discussion. Moving there.

And do you really think we need a thread asking about buying near a major event? I think the answer should be obvious.

If it's too late, it's too late. You live; you learn. If you're desperate, you could always try to hawk it on eBay to some sucker.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mr. X

2004-12-31, 01:45

You're right, it's a stupid thread. Sorry for the insanity of constantly posting! I'm just panicky because I need a new Mac, yet I want to make sure I spend my money wisely.

It certainly isn't too late. I'm calling first thing in the morning to cancel; I'll send it back to them if it's really on its way. There's no way I'm going to get burned when this much money is on the line.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-12-31, 01:51

Well, the chances of an iBook update are almost nil. The only money that is "on the line" is the cost of upgrading to Panther and the iLife '05 suite. Assuming they are both announced at MWSF, you'll save a bit of money by ordering after the announcement. You'll still have to pay $20 for a Tiger upgrade disc, assuming Tiger's release date is actually announced there. If not, you won't really save any money.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-12-31, 02:22

Never buy right before a MacWorld. It's common sense.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2004-12-31, 02:24

Which is precisely why Apple/Jobs are trying to make the Big Events (Mac{World,Expo}) a bit smaller - to keep people from doing just that, and evening out the sales figures a bit over the year.
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2004-12-31, 02:46

Actually, the historical pattern for iBook updates is twice a year, around April/May and October/November. Given that the iBooks were updated in mid-October, I would say that it's highly unlikely they'll be updated at Macworld SF.

Apple claimed re. 10.4 that it would be released "in the first half of 2005". You can interpret that as you may, but I doubt that 10.4 will be shipping in January or February.

So the only likely loss is iLife, and there are steep educational discounts anyway. Given that your computer sounds like it pretty much died, I would have done the same thing in your position.
Mr. X

2004-12-31, 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by staph
Actually, the historical pattern for iBook updates is twice a year, around April/May and October/November. Given that the iBooks were updated in mid-October, I would say that it's highly unlikely they'll be updated at Macworld SF.

Apple claimed re. 10.4 that it would be released "in the first half of 2005". You can interpret that as you may, but I doubt that 10.4 will be shipping in January or February.

So the only likely loss is iLife, and there are steep educational discounts anyway. Given that your computer sounds like it pretty much died, I would have done the same thing in your position.
Yeah, my iMac G3 is fried. That is why I jumped on the purchase so fast, not realizing that there is an expo coming up.

If I could go back, I'd wait two weeks to see what happens, but I just got off the phone with Apple and I feel better. I was told that I should be fine with my purchase, and if there is some kind of software update announced, that they're really good about working with people who just purchased something, and more than likely wouldn't be charged. This is a good thing, because I need to start working on my new Mac as soon as possible.

This board is great....lots of helpful people; very appreciative...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-31, 09:22

Mr. X, didn't we go over this just the other night? The iBook is Apple's most recently updated computer (just a couple of months ago). There's no way on God's green earth it'll be updated AGAIN at MWSF. That just doesn't happen, especially when there are PowerBooks, eMacs and - some would say - G5 towers more in need of attention.

You said yourself that my comments on the above is what "sealed the deal". So why would you cancel your order? I thought this was all dialed-in, and you were "happy" with your decision?

And you'll get an educational price on iLife or Keynote or whatever software that comes out, right?

You made a great choice with your iBook. Relax, go take a hot bath or jog around the block.

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2004-12-31, 10:17

Well, at some point the iBook's video card needs to be updated to handle CI/V in Tiger. I doubt this will happen until closer to Tiger's release though.
Mr. X

2004-12-31, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
Mr. X, didn't we go over this just the other night? The iBook is Apple's most recently updated computer (just a couple of months ago). There's no way on God's green earth it'll be updated AGAIN at MWSF. That just doesn't happen, especially when there are PowerBooks, eMacs and - some would say - G5 towers more in need of attention.

You said yourself that my comments on the above is what "sealed the deal". So why would you cancel your order? I thought this was all dialed-in, and you were "happy" with your decision?

And you'll get an educational price on iLife or Keynote or whatever software that comes out, right?

You made a great choice with your iBook. Relax, go take a hot bath or jog around the block.

Noooooo...it wasn't that I was unhappy with my choice in the iBook; I was convinced after our discussion: The iBook was recently updated and it's a safe purchase.

What started to worry me was talk about the current graphics card being obsolete and unable to handle Tiger. What am I supposed to do when Tiger comes out? Deal with a completely slow Mac because the OS requires more power?

Then, I was also worried about the idea that MWSF may announce updated software, and realized it would be a lot nicer to have all of that preinstalled in my new Mac, rather than have to update everything, or, worse yet, have to purchase updates (iLife '05 or some new Mac Office suite that I would be all over, since I have ALWAYS loved AppleWorks)...

I already took a hot shower...I'm starting to feel a little better....hehe
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-31, 12:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X
What started to worry me was talk about the current graphics card being obsolete and unable to handle Tiger. What am I supposed to do when Tiger comes out? Deal with a completely slow Mac because the OS requires more power?
Oh, you just misunderstand Apple's recent trends with updating the OS.

Everyone will get across-the-board improvements with Tiger. Whether you have a G3, a G4, or a G5 and whether you have a Rage 128, a Mobility Radeon, or a GeForce Ultra, 10.4 will generally perform faster than 10.3.

Each iteration of Mac OS X has gotten faster since 10.0. This is because there's still room for optimizations both in the code and in the compilers.

If your system can't support some of the flashy add-ons, it'll simply default either to software-mode (as with window compositing and pre-Quartz Extreme systems) or it will simply ignore some features (as with the cube rotation and pre-Quartz Extreme systems).

I would be genuinely shocked if Tiger actually slows down your iBook. Your iBook should not suddenly become "obsolete" simply because it won't do some eye-candy ripple effects.

I'm glad you're feeling better about all this now.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mr. X

2004-12-31, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Oh, you just misunderstand Apple's recent trends with updating the OS.

Everyone will get across-the-board improvements with Tiger. Whether you have a G3, a G4, or a G5 and whether you have a Rage 128, a Mobility Radeon, or a GeForce Ultra, 10.4 will generally perform faster than 10.3.

Each iteration of Mac OS X has gotten faster since 10.0. This is because there's still room for optimizations both in the code and in the compilers.

If your system can't support some of the flashy add-ons, it'll simply default either to software-mode (as with window compositing and pre-Quartz Extreme systems) or it will simply ignore some features (as with the cube rotation and pre-Quartz Extreme systems).

I would be genuinely shocked if Tiger actually slows down your iBook. Your iBook should not suddenly become "obsolete" simply because it won't do some eye-candy ripple effects.

I'm glad you're feeling better about all this now.
Ahhhh...I see. So, Tiger will still be a nice upgrade from Panther for my iBook; nothing to worry about, then?

I just received my RAM....so I WILL be able to install it as soon as my new iBook arrives!!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-12-31, 12:33

I think some of this fear has come from the Motion restrictions....
Not one to complain () but I did feel a little upset that Motion wouldn't run on my original 17" G4 Powerbook.

I am not sure that I have seen that kind of thing happen before with what is a major piece of software IMHO, so perhaps it really does need the architecture of those most recent graphics cards.

I still think a 'software patch' to enable it to function with a few restrictions would be possible and even reasonable to expect... But Hey Ho... I can't complain. I've sent my requests to Apple... I won't hold my breath for a reply... Although in the past I have been quite suprised to actually get an email back from Apple when I have sent them feedback.

That said... My iBook from 4 years ago is still running fine in my Wife's capable hands and does seem to get a little better with each release of OS X.

I am just glad I have the G5 to run my flashy stuff on...

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-31, 12:34

Yup, nothing to worry about!

(unless you plan to use motion, as scratt mentioned)
Mr. X

2004-12-31, 13:21

Thanks, Brad. I don't even know what Motion is! (so, no, I won't be using "motion")

Expected arrival date is January 6th. My first *new* Mac in over four years. Can't wait...
Mr. X

2004-12-31, 16:03

If it's true that iWork will become bundled with new Macs after the expo I'm going to want it on my new iBook (expected to arrive Jan. 6). Do you think Apple can be understanding when something comes out immediately after a purchase, and allow me to obtain the software? I just wonder if people have had similar situations and success with Apple after talking to them...
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2004-12-31, 16:17

I do believe this would have fit perfectly into the thread below this. You know, yours about if purchasing the iBook before the expo was a good idea
Mr. X

2004-12-31, 16:22

Urgh...yeah, I wish I could move it into that thread...is that possible?

sorry to clog up the board like this...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-12-31, 16:28

Since I'm an administrator, I can. Merging threads now...
Mr. X

2004-12-31, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Since I'm an administrator, I can. Merging threads now...
thanks, Brad...

I talked to someone at Apple about this, and of course the rep. explained that he can't comment because no "iWorks" announcement has been made (as I expected him to say), but he did say, "the iBook was a great purchase," and generally, in the past, Apple has given a 30-day window when new software is released and bundled in new Macs after a purchase, where the customer can then get the bundle free. I have confidence that Apple will work with me if this happens...

I finally feel 100% good about my decisions and can finally stop bombarding everyone with questions....for now..hehe

Thanks again, everyone...

Last edited by Mr. X : 2004-12-31 at 16:58.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-12-31, 17:20

Do you watch "Monk", by any chance?
nomorewindows

2005-01-03, 22:24

The most important rule to remember once you buy a computer--don't leave your house or talk to anyone or read anything about computers. Just kidding. Sort of. It's Murphy's law. The second you buy computer equipment, something "better" comes along. My hubby gave me a gorgeous new PowerBook G4 a few weeks ago. He got such a GREAT deal (Thanks Small Dog) I don't care what happens at MWSF. Whatever uber-machine they come up with, I can always pick up later. I love having something to lust after!
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2005-01-03, 22:30

In short... It's never a bad time to buy something from Apple.
They are always worth the money and for some just opening the packaging is worth the expense!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
HHogan

Send a message via AIM to HHogan  
2005-01-03, 22:58

Quote:
The most important rule to remember once you buy a computer--don't leave your house or talk to anyone or read anything about computers.
It's true. I bought my Dual G4 500 (GE) as soon as it came out in 2000. Since then I've used it quite often, and it does absolutely everything I need at a very good speed.

If it wasn't for the fact that I've been choking it lately with data, and the fact I'd like to use Motion, I wouldn't even consider a Dual G5.