Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Fighting games!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Fighting games!
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-12-06, 18:05

I was wondering if there are other folks on AN who enjoy fighting games? What's your history with them like and have you played something recently?

I got started with One Must Fall 2097 on PC's. Before playing OMF I thought fighting games are all boring and luck-based. In OMF I learned skill decides the winner. Then I had a long, long break from fighting games, thinking there were no other good ones (having experienced Mortal Kombat series).

I was fascinated by the graphics and smooth moves of Tekken3 at occasional arcade, but there was no arcade near where I lived. I was beginning to understand there were probably lots of good fighting games around, I just wasn't seeing any.

The next big thing for me was Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. Due to Dreamcasts at friends and work, I got to play many hundreds of matches, and slowly the game was starting to become strategic, not just choosing the "clever" move out of an arsenal of canned special moves. There was faking, anticipating the opponent, and actual defense.

The last step so far was when I saw Virtua Fighter 4 on a friend's friend's PS2. After little deliberation I got a PS2 and VF4 Evolution. It would have been worth it for just this one game... I have gotten a few more though. I'm now starting to think of moves in terms of frames and zones, and have the reflexes and dexterity to complete a big part of training mode.

I hated Soul Calibur 2. SC3 feels better and closer to the original, but I'm not sure I'm interested in putting in the time necessary for learning it. What I would really like to try is some modern 2D fighter like Guilty Gear, or one of the Capcom games. More urgently, I'm thinking of buying a proper Hori stick to feed my VF habit... the problem is the stick costs 2/3 the price of a new PS2. Shipping, customs and VAT for a 3kg joystick from Asia sucks.
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-06, 18:13

I never really got into them. But I do enjoy a game of super smash brothers with my friends from time to time. I also liked Clayfighter and bushido blade. A friend of mine is obsessed with them, he built his own joystick setup.
Foj
Veteran Member

2005-12-06, 18:13

For a while i've been Mortal Kombat fan.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-12-06, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao
I never really got into them. But I do enjoy a game of super smash brothers with my friends from time to time.
That's actually a game I'd like to try. Too bad none of my friends in this city has a GC.
Quote:
I also liked Clayfighter and bushido blade.
If the reviews and screenshots give an accurate picture, Bushido Blade seems to have been ahead of its time in many respects, even if the 2D fighters of the time were probably better polished and tuned games.
Quote:
A friend of mine is obsessed with them, he built his own joystick setup.
A real hardcore guy, huh? What does he play?
Wrao
Yarp

2005-12-06, 19:15

Thing about bushido blade that made it so compelling was that for all intents and purposes it was one-hit kill. But getting that one hit was challenging. It was almost more of a simulation than a fighting game. Sure, occasionally you'd get away from a death blow with a scratch, but by and large, you get cut down by a sword... and it makes sense.

Smash brothers is great because the learning curve is very easy, but there is still enough in the game that you can actually be 'good'. But, even the best players can still get beaten by a total beginner, so it's all very fun. Also the homage to various nintendo games are great.

I don't remember what games my friend specializes in. 2-d fighters are his favorite though, I don't think he touches 3-d ones.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-12-06, 20:33

Quote:
Thing about bushido blade that made it so compelling was that for all intents and purposes it was one-hit kill. But getting that one hit was challenging. It was almost more of a simulation than a fighting game. Sure, occasionally you'd get away from a death blow with a scratch, but by and large, you get cut down by a sword... and it makes sense.
Yes, cutting swords and polearms are mostly one hit business. Very slim thrust swords used in duels, like the European rapier, could frequently take a man out only after several wounds.

Although the major fighting games of today do not have one-hit kills, the amount of needed successful hits decreases as you manage longer combos. Whenever you get a good opener through, you combo away a third, a half, even two thirds of the opponent's lifebar, which turns the game into a two-shot or three-shot game. More attacks are still thrown, and land, but while they do some damage they are mostly just fishing for an opening to land the big hit. (Of course, most fighting games are about unarmed fighting which explains why characters should absorb more hits.)

Realism-wise, VF is the best I have seen. Looking at the surface, the motion captures are *the* most realistic (the character's style is readily apparent from the animations), and character design is understated compared to other fighters. At the core of the game, there is a sense of initiative and controlling the opponent, which is realistic. The most unrealistic aspect of the game it is that basic defending is too easy. The real world is so biased towards offense at the expense of defense, it does not make a good computer game.
Koodari
Veteran Member

2005-12-06, 20:47

Quote:
Smash brothers is great because the learning curve is very easy, but there is still enough in the game that you can actually be 'good'. But, even the best players can still get beaten by a total beginner, so it's all very fun. Also the homage to various nintendo games are great.
So it's like pro-wrestling games but fun.

... well, not really, because the wrestling games are not easy to jump in and play. A friend plays one of these games on my PS2 now and then, and I typically don't care to do versus mode. The basic control system is much harder to understand than Tekken or Soul Calibur, but once you have the controls memorized it quickly devolves into a 50/50 guessing game with both players tapping block buttons like crazy. Strategy and mind games seem limited to how many times a player will hit before attempting a throw.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2005-12-08, 23:11

Super Smash Brothers makes a great party game. The one fighting game that I do own besides that is Soul Caliber II.

However, the one series that I did like, but never had the opportunity to own, was Killer Instinct. Here's to hoping that it gets picked up by XBox.

Formerly known as cynical_rock
censeo tentatio victum
There is no snooze button on a cat.
omem

2005-12-08, 23:30

Take a look at this sexyness
http://virtuafighter.com/

Virtua Fighter 5 coming soon
BarracksSi
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-12-10, 08:09

The original Mortal Kombat rocked. No balance, no strategy, just lots of punching & kicking and burning bodies.

Before that, I was having a good time with Yie Ar Kung Fu. That game actually played really well compared to most other karate-like games in existence. Too bad it was only one player.

Super Smash Bros. is one reason why I still have my N64. Excellent game.

On my old B&W Gameboy, I had several. The good ones turned out to be MKII and a couple games developed by Takara (Battle Arena Toshinden and, I think, King Of Fighters).

I usually go for the Street Fighter series or Virtua Fighter. I did start doing really well on a Tekken arcade machine because of its button layout -- all four buttons were in a row, going LP-RP-LK-RK. Seems weird compared to the usual square layout, but for me -- a tuba player whose fingers are used to such a setup -- it was really easy to use. It was just like tuba fingering patterns or playing on a piano.

I'll have to play the heck out of any fighting game to get decent at it. But, I'll still only get so good, and then that's about it. The really good players just amaze me.

I'm sure you guys have seen this vid --
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000403064426/
(Google-hosted vid link) http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...31104479&q=ass