AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Starting a clothing company...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Starting a clothing company...
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-12-07, 17:42

I decided to start a clothing company, mainly for fun if anything. It's going to be mainly t-shirts and hoodies for right now.

It's called Sickle & Hammer Clothing.

Head over and tell me what you think....

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-12-07, 17:54

Get rid of the MySpace account, and then we can talk?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-07, 17:56

Fuckin commie pinko!

Seriously, I know zero about fashion or what kids think is cool ISFA t-shirts and hoodies today but my impression is you'll want to get a real web site and set up a real, professional looking presence there. Personally I wouldn't buy anything from a social networking site. I'd want to see a unique URL, secure cart (try ccnow; I think they're pretty affordable and you don't have to set stuff up on your server), etc.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-12-07, 18:13

haha

Well, Myspace is the easiest way to connect with kids and it's free.

As far as being secure, when I get it all rolling, I'm going to use my PayPal account so it will all be 100% safe. Plus, like I mentioned, this is just more for fun and something to do to get rid of some creative ideas. I'm not looking to make a career out of this, hell, I dont really even care about the money.

@yontsey
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-07, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Well, Myspace is the easiest way to connect with kids and it's free.
You can get in trouble with that...

Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-07, 19:18

"You didn't know she was 16? What did you mean by:

'Hey Amber... show me your waves of grain and I'll show you my sickle?'"

Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-12-07, 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Get rid of the MySpace account, and then we can talk?
whats wrong with myspace?
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-07, 19:21

It's not a good way to run a business? Social Networking sites are for social networking, business sites are for business. You can always link in to your blog and MySpace if you want to, but MySpace shouldn't stand on its own as a business site IMO. But what do I know... I just a small home-office based b'ness. Kids these days might do it differently.

But then again if it's just for fun (as apparently it is) then MySpace is fine.

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2007-12-07, 19:32

The Myspace thing works to "connect" with the customers, but you should look at getting a "real" website as well (and a "real" e-mail address) to make you look a lot more professional.

Take a look at the T-Shirt Hell or Threadless websites to see what you're up against. It wants to be that slick to work.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-07, 19:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souflay123 View Post
Other than it's the internet equivalent of hanging out at the mall when you're 13? Not much.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-12-07, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Other than it's the internet equivalent of hanging out at the mall when you're 13? Not much.
That is totally not the equivalent, it is if you happen to have a sidekick and check it constantly. But if you have one you check once week... it is much different (especially if you use face book as your primary contact site)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-07, 20:12

Gaudy. Check.

Loud. Check.

OMGBFF! Check.

Contacts list as popularity contest. Check.

Choice between a few dozen obnoxious skins as 'expression of individuality'. Check.

Yeeeeeeeeah....
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2007-12-07, 21:19

Quote:
Everything.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2007-12-07, 21:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Everything.
QFT.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2007-12-07, 22:38

Quote:
Souflay, meet Kickaha
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
The Myspace thing works to "connect" with the customers, but you should look at getting a "real" website as well (and a "real" e-mail address) to make you look a lot more professional.

Take a look at the T-Shirt Hell or Threadless websites to see what you're up against. It wants to be that slick to work.
Bryson is right on with this. I actually have Myspace blocked at the router and my DNS server. There's little redeeming value to it. Certainly not for business. The best you could hope for is a bunch of kids to attempt to order things while never having the money to pay for it. Truly, you would be better off with using free home page space with your ISP or Google or the like.

That being said; I think it's great that you are going out there to build your dream using your own business. I really do hope it works out like you'd like it to and that you make some great things happen along the way...while making lot of money.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-07, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
Souflay, meet Kickaha
Oh noes! Does I haz a *reputation*?!?

Now get offa my lawn, ya danged kids!

*shakes cane*

Yeah, what Bryson and turtle said - a myspace page as a routing page is great for targeted demographic marketing, but it should link to a more professional site, IMO.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2007-12-08, 00:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
"You didn't know she was 16? What did you mean by:
She said she was 16, but I swear to god I could tell she was 21.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-12-08, 00:22

Quote:
Now get offa my lawn, ya danged kids!

*shakes cane*
Are you threatening me?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-12-08, 05:24

I dont think a lot of you realize. I dont intend to do this for a living. I also dont intend to make money off of this.

Even if a lot of you bash Myspace, it helps when your band Myspace page has 10000+ friends that you can reach and contact at a bulletins notice.

@yontsey
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-08, 09:18

Thread title: Starting a clothing COMPANY

Quote:
I dont think a lot of you realize. I dont intend to do this for a living. I also dont intend to make money off of this.

...then you've mis-titled the thread and did not ask the right questions. Companies exist for the purpose of creating a living and making money. As much of it as possible. If you don't want our opinion of the MySpace stuff (you're obviously resisting / hoping we would've said "oh yah, you'll get tons of traffic on that MySpace and sell T-shirts for some extra cash"), then you shouldn't request opinions in the first place. If you intend the internet equivalent of a side-street lemonade stand, why is this thread even here? Seriously.

We're trying to be diplomatic about it and yet you keep ignoring what we're saying. If you don't intend to make steady money with this "venture", then it's not a company and you're not in business. And there's nothing to discuss. The truth is, if you're selling something, people will *expect* that you are a legit business, and legit businesses don't operate via MySpace. Period. At most, it's just another interesting link off of a stand-alone site (like a blog), and in many cases, once past college age many business owners would not even acknowledge that they have a MySpace.

See also: Kickaha.

Tried to be polite but now it's time you heard it: what you've done is not professional looking and not likely to sell many t-shirts. If you're goal is to not sell many t-shirts, you're on the winning path my friend. Keep it up.

If your goal was to actually make some money (no one is saying you're aspiring to be a t-shirt vendor for the rest of your life), you need to invest some time and money in creating a simple business plan, developing a real web site and shopping cart system and advertising via Google and other means. All right? All right. Next you should decide whether this thread will continue in that direction, or be locked (since it's your thread and only you know what you really want).

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2007-12-08, 13:06

This whole t-shirt "company" is not something I want to invest a lot of money in. I have free access to a shirt and the materials to make the logos. The only money out of pocket is the cost of the shirt and I can get those at dealer cost. Im more interested in sponsorships as a form of advertisement rather then advertising through websites and magazines.

This is more so just a creative output for me. Honestly, I dont expect it to take off nor do I expect to make money on it. Myspace is good enough for me because that is where I will get the most exposure. I dont have the kind of time or money to sit down and make a real website. I will eventually put up a shopping cart link for Paypal, so that is basically good enough for me.

I wasnt trying to piss anyone off. You guys are really clawin at my throat about this. I mean, if I can make a few extra bucks, thatd be awesome, but not my goal.

@yontsey
SteveC

2007-12-08, 13:24

It would be perfectly Orwellian to make a lot of money selling shirts with communist imagry on it.

Of course, it is already perfectly Orwellian that people wear their politics on their chest. We are the stereotype of our own choice.

There is no freedom like the freedom to choose to be enslaved.

:-)

A question in your nerves is lit
Yet you know there is no answer fit to satisfy
Insure you not to quit
To keep it in your mind and not fergit
That it is not he or she or them or it
That you belong to. - bob dylan

I've been selling printed wearables for 20 years; I can tell you whatever you need to know, and maybe some things you don't want to know.

Chucker, Moogs and others are right; MySpace is not the best way to do it. And you can't say "I am trying to sell shirts" and "I don't care about making money," because if true you would make the shirts and give them away. Your ego is driving the idea somewhere. There is something you want to say, and "selling" is probably how you will measure your sucess. (Look at Steve Jobs, for example.)
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-12-08, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
It would be perfectly Orwellian to make a lot of money selling shirts with communist imagry on it.
I can't find the right smilie for that. I think I'll just go with good ol' interrobang.

Quote:
Of course, it is already perfectly Orwellian that people wear their politics on their chest. We are the stereotype of our own choice.
Are you seriously suggesting that there is something wrong with someone proudly presenting what they strongly believe in, believe to be true, feel, agree with, etc.‽
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-08, 13:35

*shrug* It's okay Yontsey, a lot of people have hobbies or fun things they do that look like businesses.

I was operating under the assumption that you were looking at making money off of it, or at least treating it like an actual business. If not, and this is just for fun, then sure, a MySpace page is fine, provided that a) that's where your market is, b) that's all this is ever going to be, c) it fits your idea of the image you're trying to project.

Personally, I'd hook up with cafepress or another on-demand-printing outfit in that case, just to completely release me from the trappings of a business. If it's just for fun, why bother with the work aspects?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-08, 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that there is something wrong with someone proudly presenting what they strongly believe in, believe to be true, feel, agree with, etc.‽
I think the issue that *I* have is that people's beliefs are now so watered down, homogenized, and trivial that they *can* be put on a shirt, bumper sticker, or .sig... and they think it's deep.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-12-08, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast3r3x View Post
She said she was 16, but I swear to god I could tell she was 21.
30 Rock isn't half bad, eh?
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-12-08, 15:30

Quote:
I think the issue that *I* have is that people's beliefs are now so watered down, homogenized, and trivial that they *can* be put on a shirt, bumper sticker, or .sig... and they think it's deep.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-12-08, 15:36

Exactly. Other examples are Jesus fish on cars, flag stickers (read the damned Flag Code you ninnys), those idiotic "X Days until Freedom" countdowns to Jan 2009, anything pro-choice/pro-life, etc, etc, etc.

Those aren't beliefs, they're tribal markings. They have as much depth as "Go Packers".
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-12-08, 16:00

Only a war-mongering whore would wear that shirt!

I mean who wears a shirt promoting Rockwell International?

Banana
is the next Chiquita

2007-12-08, 16:12

Well, those would be much more consistent: