Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What to do after I graduate college?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What to do after I graduate college?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-10-04, 09:30

I'm currently in my fourth year of a five year program at Drexel.

I'm majoring in Accounting with a minor in Political Science. My current plan involves graduating in June of 2009 and getting a job at one of the bigger accounting firms around Philadelphia. This will eventually lead me to getting my CPA.

I've heard a lot of good things about becoming a Tax Lawyer and I'm thinking about it right now.

Does anyone know anything about this line of work? Would it take a while to get through law school? I'd probably go at night and work full time, but I really am considering it right now.

Just thought I'd put something up and see what people thought about it. Thanks.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-10-04, 09:57

After you graduate?

Go travel for a few months. Be a bum. Drive across a continent or two, backpack across another. Find a beach to sit on for a week.

Then start a career.

As for the actual question, I got nothin'.
Freewell

2007-10-04, 14:18

Sleep.
autodata
hustlin

2007-10-04, 16:33

Tax law is good. Contract law, too. Both are the kinds of specialties that are always needed and there is some crossover. The only thing I'd warn you about is that attorneys frequently don't make tons of money, contrary to popular belief. Big firms won't usually even talk to law students unless they are in the top 10% of their class. I know of whole companies full of attorneys trying to pay off loans and raise families on about $50K/yr. So be aware of that. Still, if you like doing it, that kind of stuff is always in demand, and you can do it and make a good living. In some cases, you can make a very good living. I would guess that you'd do OK in tax law, though. If you can get a job at a big accounting firm that experience counts for a lot, at least on the accounting side.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-10-04, 16:37

I'm going to be a selfish git here, and say that I hope and pray that tax lawyer is an anachronism in a few years. The only reason we need tax lawyers is because of an asinine, byzantine tax code that should be overthrown and replaced completely.

So, like, don't do that.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-10-04, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
After you graduate?

Go travel for a few months. Be a bum. Drive across a continent or two, backpack across another. Find a beach to sit on for a week few months.

Then start a career.

+ ++ ++ + + ++++ minor correction ++ ++ ++ ++ +

Perspective is priceless and will serve you well.
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-10-04, 16:43

Join the peace corp. They need accountants, plus you can get an MBA in third world economics that way. Emerging markets baby!
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2007-10-04, 16:59

Quote:
After you graduate?

Go travel for a few months. Be a bum. Drive across a continent or two, backpack across another. Find a beach to sit on for a week.

Then start a career.

Or, you know, you could just follow Kick's example and immediately duck back into school for another degree or two

Not that I (or probably he) would recommend that, though.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-10-04, 17:05

Since we're verging on cliché comments, I'll throw in another old chestnut.

Do something you love, then it won't seem like work.
AWR
Veteran Member

2007-10-04, 21:14

I'd go live abroad somewhere for at least a year. China, Japan, Russia, Indonesia, South America ... anywhere that interests you. I think it's an invaluable life experience that is very simple to do at this point in your life. It can/will also help you get into graduate school and possibly be useful in your career pursuit. Take a couple of LSAT prep books to go over while you're there.

I can also recommend law school as a worthwhile experience - the degree is very flexible. As for being a tax attorney, hmmmm, is that what appeals to you? Do you know what they do?

Edit: In response to your question about time, it should take about 4 years to get your degree at night, and damn if it's not a slog. (Three years is the norm.) That's 4 years of no fun. I have friends who did it, but you have to be a special breed.

Last edited by AWR : 2007-10-04 at 21:32.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-10-04, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majost View Post
Or, you know, you could just follow Kick's example and immediately duck back into school for another degree or two

Not that I (or probably he) would recommend that, though.
Ha! I backpacked around Europe for three months. Almost didn't come home.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-10-04, 21:20

Quote:
After you graduate?

Then start a career.
Not sure if this was facetious, but I agree... After years of schooling, it's time to live a little before getting back into what ultimately amounts to a rat race for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Since we're verging on cliché comments, I'll throw in another old chestnut.

Do something you love, then it won't seem like work.
This only works out as long as everything you do is on your own terms. I could love cooking, but would I really want to be a chef at a busy 4-star restaurant? I don't know about that.
Partial
Stallion

2007-10-04, 21:30

Hope to find a job. Our economy is so terrible that I am beginning to worry about that now-a-days.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-10-04, 21:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Not sure if this was facetious, but I agree... After years of schooling, it's time to live a little before getting back into what ultimately amounts to a rat race for most.
Nope, not facetious. Definitely take your opportunities to escape and travel while you can.
Windswept
On Pacific time

2007-10-05, 10:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
I'd go live abroad somewhere for at least a year. China, Japan, Russia, Indonesia, South America ... anywhere that interests you. I think it's an invaluable life experience that is very simple to do at this point in your life. It can/will also help you get into graduate school and possibly be useful in your career pursuit. Take a couple of LSAT prep books to go over while you're there.
Oh, I agree completely. Except that I would divide up my time, and live in my various chosen locations for at least a month apiece - after *thorough* advance reading to determine the world's 8-10 coolest, most personally appealing places.

I would keep a regular journal during my time overseas, and then eventually write a kick-ass book on my adventures. Keep a record of your expenses, because many of them should be deductible once your book is published.

Quote:
I can also recommend law school as a worthwhile experience - the degree is very flexible. As for being a tax attorney, hmmmm, is that what appeals to you? Do you know what they do?
Such a diplomatic and cautious comment.

Quote:
Edit: In response to your question about time, it should take about 4 years to get your degree at night, and damn if it's not a slog. (Three years is the norm.) That's 4 years of no fun. I have friends who did it, but you have to be a special breed.
Yeah, working full-time and going to school at night is tough. It took me forever to get my master's degree that way. Plus, I could never get the classes I was *interested* in taking, but had to take 'whatever' was offered in my areas (19th century British Literature, and American Lit. 1620 to 1970). With the hodge-podge of classes I was forced to take, my comps were... uh... a decidedly unsavory experience.

Quote:
Ha! I backpacked around Europe for three months. Almost didn't come home.
Velly, velly intellesting. I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

This only works out as long as everything you do is on your own terms. I could love cooking, but would I really want to be a chef at a busy 4-star restaurant? I don't know about that.
Good point, Eugene. I seriously considered going to medical school, but asked myself: "Do I really want to spend my life looking at people's hemorrhoids and such?" Answer, "Not especially."
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2007-10-05, 10:25

Quote:
Nope, not facetious. Definitely take your opportunities to escape and travel while you can.
I agree. It might be a little tougher now with the weak dollar, but if you can afford to do so, it's a worthwhile experience.

Accounting? Shouldn't be a problem getting a job I would think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38
Hope to find a job. Our economy is so terrible that I am beginning to worry about that now-a-days.
Not that the government numbers are all that accurate, but I don't know that it's so terrible. Not yet, anyways.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071005/economy.html?.v=12
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-10-05, 10:35

I dont see a problem getting a job right after graduation.

There are numerous firms in my area, and I think all of the Big 4 have offices here.

Tax law does kind of interest me, it's boring, but I've been very interested in the tax classes that I've taken. There's just something about knowing how to keep the maximum amount of my money from the government.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
hflomberg

2007-10-05, 12:27

Repeat after me -- If it's not fun, then don't do it!
hiltond

Send a message via AIM to hiltond  
2007-10-05, 16:14

I don't know what you *should* do; just don't settle for something that isn't a good fit.

It is also a good idea to avoid any large purchases right after getting a job. You don't want to need them.
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-10-05, 16:45

Go to vegas!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-10-05, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souflay123 View Post
Go to vegas!
Going there in May.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2007-10-05, 17:07

If I were you, this is what I'd do after college... or more specifically, WHO I would do. Moof!

Thank the Chucker for image goodness, I'm just the messenger.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Boomerangmacuser

2007-10-05, 17:24

Don't think that all these recommendations to travel are for goofing off. It's for gaining some perspective in life. There's a difference between being a traveller and a tourist.

Besides, the odds of getting a 3 month leave of absence in the first...oh... 10 years with an organization are pretty much nil. You may not get another chance, especially of you go and get Ms. Moof pregnant.

When I hire, I shy away from sheltered, inexperienced, purely academic types that don't have a lot of life experience under their belt. They invariably go look for it mid-career or stew over not getting it earlier.

...Not that I really know you or anything....
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2007-10-05, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23kk View Post
Going there in May.
congrats, have a good time. I think i am going in nov paid for by my work I love the trips that we get (new york next spring, and hopefully Australia next year)
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2007-10-05, 17:42

from The Graduate

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you - just one word.
Ben: Yes sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Ben: Yes I am.
Mr. McGuire: 'Plastics.'
Ben: Exactly how do you mean?
Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in plastics.
Think about it.
Will you think about it?
Ben: Yes I will.
Mr. McGuire: Shh! Enough said. That's a deal.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"