User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Cool application anti thieves

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cool application anti thieves
rcs

2006-05-23, 19:11

wow this is really cool. I just noticed this application 5 minutes ago. Really bad news for thieves.

I hope I never need this appz...knocks on wood(x3).

But its really cool. It can even take a picture of the thieve and send it to the owner....hahaha...how cool is that?

http://orbicule.com/undercover/

Isn't it againts privacy to do all of that undercover "stuff" without notice....?

will ISP cooperate to give the thieve IP?
blakbyrd

Send a message via AIM to blakbyrd  
2006-05-23, 19:35

Interesting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-23, 20:36

It's more "cool toy" than anything else.

It's also been around for quite a while. (hint: search before starting new threads)

I seriously doubt the effectiveness of any application's ability to stop thieves. Once your 'Book is in their hands, kiss any chances of seeing it again goodbye. ISPs don't just hand out identifiable information to Joe Public. Even if you do get the customer's information, there's slim chance that information belongs to the thief. Even if you get the thief, there's slim chance the thief still has it by the time you apprehend him/her.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Engine Joe
Going Strange...

2006-05-23, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
ISPs don't just hand out identifiable information to Joe Public.
No, but they'll probably hand it all over to the Executive Branch, without a warrant! Yay! Thank you, ISPs!

But seriously, as Brad says, this stuff is of limited (at best) utility. You won't see your computer again... the odds are, at best 100,000:1 that you'll even get a lead on the thing.
LiquidSpace

Send a message via AIM to LiquidSpace  
2006-05-23, 20:54

i'm very surprised that Apple does not keep records like say a Audio Software company like Native Instruments. What i mean is, if a computer is stolen there is nothing Apple can do for you. Even if your computer is taken to the local Apple Retail Store they will service it just the same even though the name in the system for the comp is different then the person bringing it in.

Now if only Apple employed a management system that tracked who bought it, and any transferes of registration etc. I can't imagine it being to hard, it would be a very nice feature for customers who are really afraid of their ish being knicked, at some point the stolen computer has something done to it, upgraded, fixed something that would trigger its missing status.

Or am i just crazy to think its possible?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-23, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSpace
i'm very surprised that Apple does not keep records like say a Audio Software company like Native Instruments. What i mean is, if a computer is stolen there is nothing Apple can do for you. Even if your computer is taken to the local Apple Retail Store they will service it just the same even though the name in the system for the comp is different then the person bringing it in.
Apple does have records. Every single computer has a unique serial number. If you buy your computer at an Apple Store, that serial is registered to your name. I'm not sure about other retail outlets.

You can later call Apple and report your laptop as being stolen. If it is ever taken to an Apple-authorized servicer, it will be flagged as stolen. It's then up to the servicer to decide what to do. I don't know if there's a formal procedure at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSpace
Now if only Apple employed a management system that tracked who bought it, and any transferes of registration etc. [...] Or am i just crazy to think its possible?
The latter. That's a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy to deal with, especially when you consider the booming resale market for Macs.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-05-23, 21:48

apple will do something if you have filed a police report.... there policy is not to pay attention to serial numbers of products brought in, but if you file a police report they will
rcs

2006-05-24, 05:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
It's more "cool toy" than anything else.

It's also been around for quite a while. (hint: search before starting new threads)

I seriously doubt the effectiveness of any application's ability to stop thieves. Once your 'Book is in their hands, kiss any chances of seeing it again goodbye. ISPs don't just hand out identifiable information to Joe Public. Even if you do get the customer's information, there's slim chance that information belongs to the thief. Even if you get the thief, there's slim chance the thief still has it by the time you apprehend him/her.
oops..sorry Brad to start a new thread before searching...didn't mean to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Joe
No, but they'll probably hand it all over to the Executive Branch, without a warrant! Yay! Thank you, ISPs!

But seriously, as Brad says, this stuff is of limited (at best) utility. You won't see your computer again... the odds are, at best 100,000:1 that you'll even get a lead on the thing.
Bt at least the thieves aren't able to use the laptop. Eventhough your laptop is gone, you'll feel a bit glad that you have your laptop protected so that there are no easy ways the thieves can sell/use it. (more a personal satisfaction )

Last edited by rcs : 2006-05-24 at 06:09.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-05-24, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs
Bt at least the thieves aren't able to use the laptop.
You honestly think it takes more than a few minutes to get around a roadblock like this? A simple system reinstall will do the trick. It may take significantly less than that, depending on how you've set up your machine.

Once someone else has your system physically in his hands, software "security" is a thing of the past.

Again I repeat: don't fall for believing that apps like this actually work as advertised.

Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2006-05-24, 08:52

Well, it's worth to point out that Filevault should be able to keep your data safe.

As for the computer itself, I strongly recommend insurance. That way there's one less temptation to do something stupid if you get robbed.