AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Need a little bit of plumbing guidance

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Need a little bit of plumbing guidance
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-20, 09:39

I know someone on here knows the answer to this and rather than digging through tons of irrelevant YouTube videos to find it I would rather ask here.

I have a couple of hot water faucets that are leaking out of the top when the cold water is turned on. Earlier this year I replaced a number of seals for normal drip leaking. This is different and I'm ignorant of the part I need to replace. So help educate me and remove a little bit of ignorance in the world we live in, what part do I need to replace in the valve body to stop the faucet from leaking out of the top when there other valve is opened?

That is from one of the valve I replaced the seal/spring on earlier this year. All my valves are this type, 1/4 turn Delta.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
¡Damned!

2022-10-20, 10:37

Might just be the O-ring, but I'd replace the whole cartridge - they're generally cheap enough. Delta cartridges can be found at any of the Big 3 but I've had the best luck at Menard's for plumbing kit. Yank it out (or replace both while you've got the tools out and handy), bring it in to the store to make sure it matches, then pop it back in easy peasy. Make sure to put some silicone grease on the O-ring and the insert-end of the cartridge.

If that doesn't work you've got bigger problems and might have to replace the whole assembly. I had to do just that last weekend for a downstairs shower. Pain.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-20, 10:52

What 709 said.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-20, 12:08

Thanks for the tips 709.

How important is the silicone grease? I ask because I didn't do that on any of the other valves I worked on. I practically bathed in the stuff when working on my external gear in the Navy and just avoid it now. Silly I know, but it is what it is.

I think I'll go ahead and just replace both cartridges on the two sinks since I've had one drip after the other. At least I know it will be good when I'm done.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-20, 12:31

The silicon does two things. 1) It ensures a good seal; 2) It lubricates the part for reassembly and function.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2022-10-20, 12:49

Some of the manufacturers offer lifetime parts and the local big box will supply for free, make sure to ask.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-20, 14:03

$80.27 for four cartridges, four seal and springs and a tube of silicone.

I'm sure it would be cheaper to go with just an O ring, but why? I don't want to have to open these things up again for another 20 years.

¡Damned!

2022-10-20, 14:52

Yeah that's how I look at it too. Water is off, tools are out, why not just go for the sure(er) fix?

[edit]: Silicone grease, yes? Silicone bathroom sealant on the O-rings will make you start hulk-smashing your sink in a day or so.

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2022-10-20, 15:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
[edit]: Silicone grease, yes? Silicone bathroom sealant on the O-rings will make you start hulk-smashing your sink in a day or so.
No, no, no, let him put on the silicone sealant. That will be a fun thread.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-20, 18:43

Remember me mentioning bathing in the stuff while in the Navy? Yeah, I know better.

This is the stuff I got. I know I could get more cheaper but this is all I really need and then some! For a long while to come at least.

I also grabbed true Delta parts. There is a 5 pack that I almost grabbed for the price of ONE Delta cartridge but the review were horrible. I'm pretty cheap but not that cheap. Delta seals and cartridges.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2022-10-21, 17:40

I did a thing and it went perfectly! No more leaking from the top of the hot side when the cold it on.

Also, I noticed the old cartages were the cheap all plastic ones, not shocked they didn't last. The seal and springs were REALLY stuck in there too. I had to used a dental pick to get them out. STUCK.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2022-10-21, 18:27

Plumbing is ALCHEMY.