User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

AppleNova Ultra Hardcore Minecraft Tournament!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleNova Ultra Hardcore Minecraft Tournament!
Page 1 of 10 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-26, 13:22

Inspired by Drew's thread about watching the Mindcrack Ultra Hardcore series, I figured I should start a new thread to gauge interest in having our own AppleNova Ultra Hardcore game of Minecraft.

What's UHC? It's a tournament style of playing Minecraft SMP with a group of people. You spin up a new world with a set of custom rules, and you have just a couple of hours to complete the objective. The Mindcrack guys play as a deathmatch, and the last team standing wins. "Ultra hardcore" in name means you get only *one* life (hardcore mode) and your health does not regenerate with food (ultra hardcore mode). Basically, you'd need potions or golden apples to recover health if you get hurt. Also, depleting your food bar still makes you take instant damage. So, you'd still have to keep yourself well fed!

I'd spin up a whole new temporary world for the game. Some of the features that the Mindcrack guys use that I'd also set up include:
  • eternal daytime to concentrate hostiles underground, making mining more perilous
  • automatically spread out the players/teams some initial distance from spawn
  • use the new worldborder feature to restrict the explorable area
  • automatically shrink the worldborder over time to force people to keep moving and eventually start to encounter others
I think the shrinking worldborder bit is super clever. We could start it at 2000x2000 and have it shrink to 100x100 over the span of a couple hours. At least in deathmatch mode, that forces a true end-game situation where the remaining players are forced to face off.

There are also some self-enforced rules like "no branch mining". The Mindcrack guys are able to keep each other honest because everybody posts their videos on YouTube, and then anyone could get called out for breaking the rules. Since I doubt we'll all be running screen recorders, we'd just have to make a gentleman's agreement to just play fair.

So far, Drew, Spec, Rowdy, and I have expressed interest in having our own UHC tourney. Of the other regulars on the server, maybe we could talk Turtle, 709, Elysium, Whammer, and Dellphi to join? Then we have a bunch of others like Bryson and InvaderJak who only rarely pop onto the server but might be interested in a quick fling. I *might* even be able to talk one of my two friends, gerlocian and Nik_Everett, to join the party too.

Thoughts from you guys?

At 9+ players, we could do teams of three. If we have fewer than that, I think we should just split up 50/50 because having teams of two doesn't sound as fun. We'd probably all need to set up some voice chat system for each team to talk to themselves. That could be skype or teamspeak or whatever works best; someone else needs to lead that effort because I don't know what service works best.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-05-26, 15:43

OMG it's like the Minecraft Hunger Games.

I won't participate, but if anyone does record their session I'd love to watch.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-26, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I won't participate
But there's no better time than the inaugural Minecraft Hunger Games to get back online!

The server needs more Robo, even if it's just for a few hours. You do realize we even erected a small Lego tribute in town in your memory, right?

How's the network connection these days? Are you still suffering from bad wifi service?

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2014-05-26, 18:48

I do really want to get back into MCing with y'all, but everything is really crazy and "up in the air" right now. So we'll see?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-26, 20:01

If we have room I have one other MC friend who's not on our server I might like to invite, but will wait and see how our own ranks pile up first!!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

Send a message via AIM to RowdyScot Send a message via Skype™ to RowdyScot 
2014-05-26, 20:54

I might even stream on Twitch. >_>
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-26, 21:08

I'm game for something like this. I'll be more of the muscle rather than the brains as I'm not familiar with this method of play at all. It should be fun though.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-26, 23:15

You should definitely go back and follow one of the teams from the ongoing season to see how play works and form an understanding of basic strategies.

The most important thing is to power up as soon as you can, which involves caving.

Most desirable ores are iron (for tools, weapons, armor, and anvil), gold (for golden apples, for healing) and diamonds (for diamond weapons and enchanting table).

Getting string is hyper important, as that means bows, even if arrows are hard to come by.

There's no time for farming, so kill as many edible mobs as possible to have a store of food for the long haul.

IF you see another team be sure to get your entire team to CROUCH DOWN so that the other guys can't spot YOUR nametag.

That's my first wave of advice.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
delphi

2014-05-27, 08:17

Yes. I'm in. It looks like it will be fun.
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-05-27, 08:51

I'd do it. Not sure on how my schedule will shake out though. Not sure if I'm a fan of the forever day though.

Takes away the option to hunt spiders at night on the surface.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-27, 09:57

For me it will depend on the timing. When you have a day/time sorted out, let me know.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-27, 10:44

Is Skype the best way for teams to communicate?

I like using my iPad for that so that my lappy's processor can be devoted entirely to the game.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-27, 18:06

I was thinking the best time slot for a large event like this would be on a weekend, probably an evening but not starting too late. Generally speaking, are you guys open on Friday and Saturday evenings/nights?

This weekend may be too soon since we have a lot of people to coordinate, but how does the following weekend look? That would be the evening of Friday June 6 or Saturday June 7.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-27, 19:12

I can do the 6th

I cannot do the 7th

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-05-27, 20:05

Fridays after 7 are good for me.
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-05-27, 20:38

6th won't be an option for me, as I'll be driving back from the Bay Area that evening. I should be available on Saturday, assuming I'm not still recovering from AltConf.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-27, 21:48

Since we have a mutex on the 6th, how about Sunday the 8th? I'd really love to get as many people on as possible. Mid-day is fine for me too if that's better for folks.

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-05-27, 22:03

Thurs and Fri are my days off, but I'm done around 6 EST. Just can't make guarantees on other days, though Saturday evenings would work, too. The Fridays after 7 note above is due to that being grocery day, which involves two hours of driving.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-28, 00:40

Hrmmm. Not sure about Sunday 8th... I may be recovering from traveling to the 15th century for the last time this season.

Let me check in morning.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-29, 19:40

So far it looks like Friday is our best bet for Round One of AppleNova UHC. Sorry, Spec! Next time we'll get you in for sure.

Everybody clear your calendars for a few hours starting at 9 PM EDT on Friday, June 6th. Right now the roster looks like:
  • BradSmith
  • Dellphi
  • drewprops
  • Elysium
  • gerlocian
  • RowdyScot
  • turtle
  • WhammerSlammer/kscherer

Can anyone not make the 9 PM time? We could push it an hour later, but I doubt we could bring it any earlier.

Not a bad starting lineup, but we could take some more. Where the heck is 709? Ken, would your daughter care to join? Drew, tell us about this new friend of yours! Anyone else quietly lurking in this thread?

I talked with gerlocian about UHC over the last few days, and he's interested in getting back on the server for a few hours to try it out! He's been mostly engrossed with Space Engineers lately and hasn't stayed on top of the recent Minecraft developments.

¡Damned!

2014-05-29, 20:13

I'm traveling between towns next week, so right now I'm not sure whether I'll be in front of a machine or a steering wheel come Friday. I'll know more once I get my schedule figured out mid-week. Believe me, I want to be there!

So it goes.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-29, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
… Ken, would your daughter care to join?
Yes. We will both try to be there. However, we can only play until about 9 MST (11 EST), but we'll pitch in as much as possible. Maybe her and I could be on opposite teams so when we have to drop out, each team loses one?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-29, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Yes. We will both try to be there. However, we can only play until about 9 MST (11 EST), but we'll pitch in as much as possible. Maybe her and I could be on opposite teams so when we have to drop out, each team loses one?
Sounds good! If people start showing up online around 8:30 PM EST, we could officially get started no later than 9.

I had already been thinking since we have a smaller overall group than the Mindcrack guys, we could set the worldborder to shrink over a two-hour period instead of three. Hopefully we'll have had some interesting encounters by the time you have to drop out!

RowdyScot
Ice Arrow Sniper

2014-05-29, 22:57

That will make things a bit hairy for any preparations. Caving will need to be quick. That border moves quickly the way they have it set, and ours would be even quicker.

Authentic Nova Scotia bagpipe innards
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-30, 00:00

Fun!!

My friend is Wes Wilson, who does a lot of Minecraft stuff and I think that he's played with some of the Mindcrack UHC people – I'll see if he's interested!

Captain Drew on Twitter
SpecMode
Wait what

2014-05-30, 00:18

Is he this Wes Wilson? He's actually playing on the modded Mindcrack server right now (well, maybe not right now, but you know what I mean).

Last edited by SpecMode : 2014-05-30 at 19:13. Reason: fixed video link
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-05-30, 11:59

LOL - well your link doesn't work, but that's got to be Wes Wilson. They do a video/podcast that's pretty goshdarn popular AND he said that he's interested and will check his schedule to see if he could join us.

I won't even demand that he be on my team, though that would be fun.... speaking of which, how will we randomly select teams?

Captain Drew on Twitter
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-05-30, 14:03

I'm going to pseudo randomly select them. I'll probably write a small program for that.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2014-06-02, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
My friend is Wes Wilson, who does a lot of Minecraft stuff and I think that he's played with some of the Mindcrack UHC people – I'll see if he's interested!
If he wants to join, get him registered here and let him introduce himself! We're pretty boring and derpy compared to the various YouTube celebrities he's played with on Mindcrack, but maybe that would be a refreshing change for him?

The updated roster is:
  • BradSmith
  • Dellphi
  • drewprops
  • Elysium
  • gerlocian
  • grendagle7
  • RowdyScot
  • turtle
  • WhammerSlammer/kscherer

That's an even 3/3/3! If we get one more player, I'll probably put Whammer or grendagle on a team of four since they're more likely to have to drop out before we're done. Oooorrr if we have 11 people, we could do 3/3/3/2 with Whammer and grendagle on their own team together.

SpecMode
Wait what

2014-06-02, 22:22

So, it's looking like I'll probably be home in time to join in the fun on Friday, after all. Sign me up!