AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

No EarPods or Power Brick with iPhone 12

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No EarPods or Power Brick with iPhone 12
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-07-08, 12:15

A lot of rumors pointing toward Apple ditching supplying EarPods and a power brick with future iPhones.

I think this makes sense environmentally, but it conveniently will help apple’s margins as well with less material, and smaller boxes (all of this adds up significantly at such incredible scale).

My main issue is that Apple has never shipped a decent power brick with the iPhone..... it’s been the 5W brick for 10+ years. So, very few people have a fast charger, never mind a USB-C charger. So everyone is going to be buying a new fast charging USB-C brick and Apple is going to be making even more money and producing more waste.

If they want to really show they care about the environment they would have a trade in program to trade in your old 5W bricks for a USB-C charger for free with purchase of a new iPhone.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-08, 13:40

I keep my 5W charger beside the bed to charge my phone at night. Works just fine, because I don't need rapid charge at night while I'm sleeping. I keep a 12W charger out in the living room for faster charging. Also works just fine. Were I to get an iPhone 12 and it came without power adapters, I would not be inconvenienced in any way. Also, since I do not wear Apple's headphones that would also not cause me any troubles.

Since almost everyone already has Lightning to USB-A cables and USB-A chargers laying around, the only thing that would be weird is that they would get an otherwise useless Lightning to USB-C cable with their new phone. If I was Apple, I wouldn't even include the charge cable any longer.

That's how I would deal with e-waste. Don't include the charge cable and tell your customers all of their existing stuff will work just fine. Then nothing lands in the waste pile.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-08, 23:18

The real problem with that logic is it assumes everyone already has the basic items needed to maintain the phone. I have a box of old Apple chargers in my office, however I would be annoyed if I paid the same for my phone and didn't get the items needed to make it function. I expect to be able to charge my phone if it isn't a wired phone.

Imagine computer companies not including the power cable because you already have tones of them? Laptops are available for less than iPhones now. Even they come with power cables. If they cut the charger and cable then there needs to be a voucher to get a free one either by mail or by going into a store. Then those who want one can get it and those who don't can ignore it.

I don't really care about the headphones though. I buy nicer ones so I won't miss them. I have a stack of those unopened too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Quagmire
meh

2020-07-09, 06:18

The 11 Pro’s ship with the 18W charger.

I don’t mind it not shipping with EarPods or a charger simply because I have plenty of them right now. But that screws the switchers who may be new to Apple.

giggity
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2020-07-09, 07:26

I'm kind of hoping they make these BTO with a discount.

(•) No bundled power adapter
( ) 5W USB power adapter ($10)
( ) 18W USB-C power adapter ($20)*

So, $9 off each.

Then:

(•) No bundled headphones
( ) EarPods $10
( ) AirPods $120
( ) AirPods with wireless charging case $150

So that's $19 off, $49 off, $49 off.

But they probably don't want the additional complexity (more SKUs, more options to pick from, etc.). They could still do something like a gift code for the discount, and then just have separate boxes (which ironically might make the environmental aspect moot?)?

*) maybe this also solves the question of "which Lightning cable do we include? USB-A or USB-C?"
¡Damned!

2020-07-09, 07:34

I suspect Apple will also incorporate reverse wireless charging into the iPhone 12 models (there was some grumbling about it being included in the 11s but deactivated) and then pitch the whole 'less to carry around' angle by being able to charge your headphones/watch by placing them on your phone.

So it goes.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-07-09, 10:13

Taking away the charger is just another penny pinching way to get more cash from people. Apple won’t be reducing the price points of the phones, that’s a pipe dream. People who pass their old phones onto friends and family won’t have the old charger around anymore. I for one don’t keep my old chargers, unless I’m still using the device,

I get it Apple wants to move to no ports at all, so just do it already and skip the in between step. If they do, they need to provide a good wireless charger, because most of the ones out there are terrible.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2020-07-09, 17:59

The auto industry has done this for most of their existence. It’s known as “decontenting”, where later models have fewer standard features than the previous year, and turn those previous standard features into options.

Here’s an article about Ford’s plan on decontenting: https://jalopnik.com/ford-ceos-visio...gly-1840328478
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2020-07-09, 18:10

Here is the reality, I'll complain about not getting a charger or a cable when I replace my phone in 3 years or so. Am I still going to buy a new phone without the goodies in the box, yep. Will I feel like it is a premium product? Nope. I'll feel like it is less of a product because the basic mentality that I get less for my money and they got money grubbing.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2020-07-09, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
The auto industry has done this for most of their existence. It’s known as “decontenting”, where later models have fewer standard features than the previous year, and turn those previous standard features into options.

Here’s an article about Ford’s plan on decontenting: https://jalopnik.com/ford-ceos-visio...gly-1840328478
Holy cow, he lives!

Glad to hear from you after what, five years?!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2020-07-09, 22:04

I think the option of adding a power brick at the time of purchase, for a discount, will be the way to go.

I honesty have 37 USB power bricks in desk drawers, junk drawers, bags, etc.. and I think a lot of other people are in the same boat.

Just makes sense from an environmental perspective to finally ditch it.

EarPods, I'm not sure about. Seems like there are still a lot of people that use the new ones each time they get a new phone. Since I've been getting a new iPhone every year, I have a pile of these in my desk too. One lives in my work bag as an emergency pair if I forget my AirPods, but I haven't used them in years since I got my AirPods

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2020-07-09, 22:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Holy cow, he lives!

Glad to hear from you after what, five years?!
Thanks! It has been some time! Funny how time picks up speed as the years go by. :-)
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2020-07-09, 23:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
EarPods, I'm not sure about. Seems like there are still a lot of people that use the new ones each time they get a new phone. Since I've been getting a new iPhone every year, I have a pile of these in my desk too. One lives in my work bag as an emergency pair if I forget my AirPods, but I haven't used them in years since I got my AirPods
I sure won't miss EarPods, useless junk. If they'd stay in my ears while sitting I'd consider using them as a backup, but they don't. I never had issues with the older 3.5" jack version, but the current version is terrible and the cable is so fragile that I think one of the ears died the first time I put them on. So yeah, they are literally garbage and Apple should stop putting them in, heck they should just stop making them outright, it's almost a crime.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2020-07-10, 02:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I suspect Apple will also incorporate reverse wireless charging into the iPhone 12 models (there was some grumbling about it being included in the 11s but deactivated) and then pitch the whole 'less to carry around' angle by being able to charge your headphones/watch by placing them on your phone.
I don't know. It's kind of a stupid feature and has major usability/risk issues in practice. I think Apple determined it was not worth it and I don't see that as having changed in the last 10 months.