User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Any fans of "The Shield"? Series finale tonight...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Any fans of "The Shield"? Series finale tonight...
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-25, 15:30

After seven seasons, it all ends tonight. I have my predictions and theories, but there's no telling how they'll end it up (I know how they need to... ).

Will be interesting. This has become my favorite show, period (any genre), and I've watched every single episode from day one, following the sordid trail of Vic Mackey and his team. Last week was probably the most intense, "holy crap!" hour of television I've ever seen (everything's going off the rails for all the main characters), so I can imagine how tonight might be. It's a full, extended 90-minute episode (instead of the usual 60), so that's an extra 30 minutes available for shooting, double-crossing and various acts of shitheadification.

A great show. For those of you with Netflix accounts who've never seen it, do yourselves a favor and rent the seasons. Great acting, strong writing, grim as hell, darkly hilarious in places, etc. And awesome, season-long guest stints from Glenn Close and Forest Whitaker in previous years (so they attracted great actors you normally don't associate with TV shows).

Bummed to see it go. Like "NYPD Blue", it took the "cop show" genre to new heights (or lows, depending on your perspective).

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-25, 16:47

** crickets chirping **

Obviously the lack of a Federation starship and Vulcans limits the appeal of this show on this particular forum...

Taskiss
Veteran Member

2008-11-25, 17:02

I've got an 19 yr. old daughter. There's plenty of drama in my life, but nowhere near enough Vulcans.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2008-11-25, 17:15

I'm into it! Didn't come in for fear of spoilers. But I'm up to date in my watching now, and will watch this on my flight tomorrow!

Sad to see it go, but can't wait to watch it either.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-25, 17:19

Any spoilers I put here, I promise to use the proper tags and not ruin anything for anyone. I would never just blurt something "big" out in this thread, for all to see, without wrapping it in those spoiler tags.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-11-25, 17:20

How it ends...

Spoiler (click to toggle):
Starsky wakes up, and tells Hutch, just coming out of the shower... "I had the strangest dream."
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-11-25, 17:44

I must be completely isolated or watching the wrong networks, because I've never heard of this series until right now, here in this thread.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-11-25, 17:45

I was a fan of the first four seasons, then dropped cable and haven't really watched it since then. Didn't realize it was still going.
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2008-11-25, 20:02

Dropped Cable?? Blasphemy!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-26, 00:08

Wow. Quite the 100-minute thrill ride (it was blocked as "90 minutes", but went until about 11:40 or so.

A great episode, tense and taut as could be, and a great way to end a pretty awesome show.

My heart kicked into double-time the last 20 or so minutes...quite a visceral thrill ride because I was literally perched on the edge of my couch gripping my knees and watching through squinted eyes...

Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

2008-11-27, 11:19

Watched it last night, still chewing on it. Exciting to a point, but a little to much effort to out "Soprano" the Soprano's for me.

Did Vic head out to kill himself or continue to do what he does? I'm going with the old "the more things change, the more they stay the same, theory. Vic will never give in, or give up!

Maybe we'll get a movie down the road that will fill in the details, the door is certainly wide open.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks.
And So On and So On, and Skoobie Doobie Doobie.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-11-27, 11:38

I think he's just going about his life, with a gun at his side (because it's comfortable for him, in case he encounters any "shitheads" from his previous career, etc.). I do not think he was going to kill himself at all. I think the police sirens/cars kinda "sparked him up", and, if anything, he was going to see what was happening. I don't think he could ever let go of that life.

If he was going to kill himself, he had two good chances (and I was braced for it): when Claudette had him in the interrogation room and left him with the death scene photos of Shane and his family. I thought he was going to off himself right then and there, with Claudette watching on the TV. He didn't.

Later on, at his desk at night and by himself (except for the brief visit by the mail room guy), he could've done it. And when he got his key out and opened his desk and grabbed his pistol, I'm sure everyone watching was expecting that (I know I was). But that just isn't Vic, I guess. He's such a sociopath, I think he just "pushes it all down" and justifies everything, somehow. His "prison" is a life with no friends, family or the job he loved. He gets to spend the next three years living an "Office Space" type existence, which will probably kill him eventually...just the inanity and boredom (when that HR woman was giving him the rundown on the thermostat, lunch hour, procedures for staying late, etc., the look on his face was priceless, and it was the first time I actually kinda felt sorry for the guy, in his little ill-fitting suit and tie...totally neutered, and not the Vic we're used to seeing).

I think Vic Mackey is just a "gun in the waistband" kinda guy, no matter what his official gig is. And knowing how he is, you gotta figure that in a year or so, he'll find some way to squirrel himself into a street gig with ICE, so I don't think he'll be chained to that desk forever. He's good at making deals, going over people's heads, cozying up to higher-ups who can give him something, etc. But he's got to "play nice" for the time being, otherwise his immunity deal is revoked and he'll join Ronnie in the joint for all that crap he copped to on the next-to-the-last episode. He knows, for the time being anyway, he's "stuck" and can't rock any boats. Show up everyday, analyze the files, write the reports, don't screw with the AC, don't take too long of a lunch break, etc.

But no, I don't think he was heading out to kill himself at all. In his mind, the streets of L.A. can't exist without him...and he's already thinking two steps of ahead of his superiors at ICE, trying to figure out a way out of his cubicle hell.

I genuinely felt bad for Ronnie because Vic hung him out to dry, and let him dangling. He's screwed, and next to Lem he was probably the most sane, rational one on the team.

The spoilers and leaks I heard, leading up to the episode, mentioned "four deaths". Shane, Mara and Jackson are three, and I was wondering where the fourth one was. Were they counting Shane and Mara's unborn child or was it the off-screen murder of that teenage nutball's mom (who Dutch had a slight thing for)? I'm guessing that was it. Or it could've been that poor sap who Vic held in the rattlesnake cage and let the snake bite him on the face. Surely he didn't survive that...holy crap!

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-11-27 at 11:53.
InactionMan
Veteran Member

2009-01-01, 09:41

I avoided this thread because I was in the middle of watching the early seasons. I just finished ploughing through all seven season in the span of about six weeks. The show is pretty close to The Wire for my favourite ever.

Man did I feel bad for poor Ronnie, he really wasn't a bad guy. I kind of hoped he would get off somehow but I guess if you got into bed with Vic there's no chance of redemption.

It's nice to see a show go out without getting stale.