User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

The Saga Ends (*spoiler-free* discussion)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Saga Ends (*spoiler-free* discussion)
Page 7 of 7 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7]  Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-24, 08:25

I didn’t watch. I want to look upon this thing with my own eyes...

I want my like/dislike to stem solely from within. As much as I’ve slammed and maligned it all (and with good reason, mind you), I’m hoping that it’s enjoyable and I just don’t have another two-hour eyeroll fest as I did with the previous two. If it were a different director/writing team, it would be a hell of a lot easier to go into it with some enthusiasm. But I’m so anti-J.J. Abrams at this point. Oh, and I just leaned that the other writer is the same guy who wrote Batman v Superman and Justice League, which fills me with little hope.

I’ve often asked here “how do you screw up Star Wars?!” Well apparently you hire the same pudknocker who managed to screw up the first live-action pairing of DC’s two biggest characters, and then “the team”.

Sounds like Disney hired the PERFECT guy to help J.J. craft something epic and unforgettable...

It’s almost like they’re not even trying, huh?

“Hey, let’s get that guy who write two really shitty movies! He’ll be perfect for us, and fit right in!”

I don’t wanna go see this... But I also can’t let my final impression of Star Ward be TLJ.. I guess I just need to view it as a palate cleanser. Get that lingering TLJ turd taste out of my mouth by sipping some TROS warm piss?i mean, between the two I guess I gotta go with piss?
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-24, 12:04

I have two friends who have seen it, and both had positive things to say (I will not tell you what they said, just that it was positive). One friend (our FedEx driver) said it was way better than XIII, which isn't saying much because he absolutely hated XIII. Him liking it makes me feel a bit better, but not entirely relieved, because he was like "It was good, but …". I'll expand on that after I see it, which has now been put off until Sunday or Tuesday next week.

The other friend is the guy I saw Episode II with at midnight on opening day a billion years ago. He's a life-long fan and really enjoyed it, but then again he liked 1-3, so … hmmm. Don't know what to say about that.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
kscherer
Which way is up?

2019-12-27, 13:00

So, my daughter has been lost in Star Wars for the last few days. In preparing for The Rise of Skywalker she watched Episodes 1-7 (I watched the tail end of 6 and all of 7 with her last night). We are going to a TROS matinee show on Sunday (she even bought a SW t-shirt for the occasion).

The thing that's funny to me four years on is that the chemistry between the characters in TFA is quite good. Then, in TLJ that chemistry is completely busted and or missing entirely. Just a complete departure. In 7, Fin and Rey start a bit awkward, but it comes along. In 8, Rose enters the scene and the chemistry is entirely missing, yet we are supposed to believe there is something there. It's just … bad. In 7, the relationship between Poe and Leia is one of mutual respect. In 8, Poe is suddenly a careless, bumbling idiot. The Rose/Finn save/kiss has got to be the most awkward moment in movie history. Blech!

It makes no sense to me. I get that 7 was a remake of 4, but it was done very well. What the hell happened with 8? I mean, other than Rian Johnson, it's all the same people.

I seriously don't know what happened, other than woke/virtue signaling.

After I see 9 on Sunday, I will update my list of favorite to least favorite SW movies. As of right now, 8 is on the absolute bottom, and far below the atrocious 2 and 3.

Seriously, what the hell happened to this franchise?

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2019-12-27, 15:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Seriously, what the hell happened to this franchise?
I cover this extensively in that other thread.

But, in a word, writing. The lazy, bonehead kind.