AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

launchd help needed

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
launchd help needed
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-07, 23:39

So I’m working to migrate from cron to launchd and can't seem to figure out how to make a one-liner cron a new .plist for LaunchDaemons. Anyone good with this? For one of my jobs I ended up making a bash script and calling it. This seems like a horrible waste of resources though since it only needs to be a one-liner:
Code:
* * * * * loadavg1=`sysctl -n vm.loadavg|awk '{print $2}'`;curl -d "email=XXXXXXX&stat=Load Average&value=$loadavg1" http://api.stathat.com/ez > /dev/null 2>&1; unset loadavg1
This ended up being this .plist:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>Label</key> <string>loadavg_stathat</string> <key>UserName</key> <string>root</string> <key>Program</key> <string>/Users/User/Dropbox/Documents/code/StatHat.command</string> <key>StartInterval</key> <integer>60</integer> <key>Debug</key> <false/> <key>AbandonProcessGroup</key> <true/> </dict> </plist>
The code for that target file is:
Code:
#!/bin/bash loadavg1=`sysctl -n vm.loadavg|awk '{print $2}'` curl -d "email=xxxxxxxxx&stat=Load Average&value=$loadavg1" http://api.stathat.com/ez
Doesn't all that seem overkill for a single line cron command?

Similarly I have an rsync to run that I just don't want to put in a script for a basic one-liner, this would be a simple cron too:
Code:
* 4,10,16,22 * * * rsync -avzP --exclude=Cache User@192.168.xxx.xxx:/Volumes/MCMaps/an/ /Library/WebServer/mcmaps/
Also, I have looked at Apple's man page, and even this on creating the jobs.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-11, 08:57

So is it safe to assume that no one really understands how to use launchd then?
drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-03-11, 09:08

I do not, if that helps.
If it's not Brad or Chucker then give up

chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-03-11, 17:42

I don't really understand your question.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-11, 20:33

As simply put as I can; how do I make this:
Code:
* 4,10,16,22 * * * rsync -avzP --exclude=Cache User@192.168.xxx.xxx:/Volumes/MCMaps/an/ /Library/WebServer/mcmaps/
or this:
Code:
* * * * * loadavg1=`sysctl -n vm.loadavg|awk '{print $2}'`;curl -d "email=XXXXXXX&stat=Load Average&value=$loadavg1" http://api.stathat.com/ez > /dev/null 2>&1; unset loadavg1
a .plist for launchd.

Expanded a little father, I don't want to have a .plist that calls a different script. I want it all in one job .plist just like that cron is a one liner.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2014-03-12, 04:29

Yeah, so your question isn't so much how to make it work, but how to avoid having separate .plist and .sh files? The first one is probably feasible using ProgramArguments, like so:

Code:
<key>Program</key> <string>rsync</string> <key>ProgramArguments</key> <array> <string>-avzP</string> <string>--exclude=Cache</string> … </array>
The second one may be possible, but not without some escaping tricks. You're assuming the existence of a shell there; launchd isn't one. Have a separate .sh file for it.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-03-12, 06:05

Now that makes sense. It didn't occur to me that there was no shell assumed. Thank you for the example. I'm sure I can run with this now.

Last edited by turtle : 2014-03-12 at 17:41. Reason: Edited the first word because I actually noticed after the fact that I had put the wrong thing in there even though I was barely awake when I typed this this early morning.