New business cards. Opinions?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New business cards. Opinions?
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2010-08-22, 22:03

The tracking on DURHAM DBT, INC. is so that the first line is blocked with the second. It's a little tracked out on my site but not that much. I'm generally not a fan of centered alignment so I prefer the blocking but it is a little too tracked out. Short of using a smaller font size on the second line, I'm not sure what I can do.

I'll try the darker orange on the font and see how that looks.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-22, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by tori
Thoughts? I still would really like to get some blue in there somewhere...
Then add some blue! As you might have noticed, orange and blue is a very popular color combination. (Just look at movie posters.) They're complementary (opposites on the color wheel), yes, but it's mainly that they strike a nice balance in value: red and green are also complementary, but their values are too similar, likewise yellow and purple are complementary but their values contrast too much. (That they're pretty much the quintessential "cool" and "warm" colors probably has something to do with it, too -- "fire and ice," and all that.)

Of course, blue/orange palettes really are everywhere -- AT&T, ING, Sunny D. It's pretty much the definitive palette of Web 2.0, but that doesn't make it bad (again, Seattle Children's is the Most Triumphant Example here). If you really like it, go for it -- it's not mind-blowingly original, but you won't scare people away or anything.

WRT the current card design, I'd worry that the text on the bottom will be too small when printed on an actual business card. EDIT: Jesus, Paul beat me to it, by like two replies.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-22, 22:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Then add some blue! As you might have noticed, orange and blue is a very popular color combination. (Just look at movie posters.) They're complementary (opposites on the color wheel), yes, but it's mainly that they strike a nice balance in value: red and green are also complementary, but their values are too similar, likewise yellow and purple are complementary but their values contrast too much. (That they're pretty much the quintessential "cool" and "warm" colors probably has something to do with it, too -- "fire and ice," and all that.)

Of course, blue/orange palettes really are everywhere -- AT&T, ING, Sunny D. It's pretty much the definitive palette of Web 2.0, but that doesn't make it bad (again, Seattle Children's is the Most Triumphant Example here). If you really like it, go for it -- it's not mind-blowingly original, but you won't scare people away or anything.

WRT the current card design, I'd worry that the text on the bottom will be too small when printed on an actual business card.
Re: the blue. But where? And I have a really hard time picking out complimentary colors.

The font at the bottom isn't too small, IMHO. I printed out the actual size and it's perfectly legible. It is 6 pt. so it might be but it looks ok to me. I'll see if bumping it up a point helps.

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-22, 22:18

Increasing the font size for the bottom blocks makes it too tight to my name. There are "safe" borders that I force me to move them up a bit too much.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2010-08-22, 22:45

Put 'em on a sheet, 10-up, and let it rip. It's a vast improvement, it's got all the needed info. I monkeyed with it enough yesterday afternoon to realize it doesn't allow for any big, drastic changes once you get it to this stage (what with fitting everything and stuff). It ties in to your site and stuff, but the info is displayed a little cleaner/more logically, so barring any "stop the presses!" comments from anyone else, that might be what you go with.

Self-printing, then? That's what I do. I don't even have that perforated business card stock. I print mine out on the thickest paper my printer will take and manually cut them out with a sharp Xacto, cutting mat and metal ruler. I keep 5-10 in my wallet, 5-10 in my car and I've given friends and relatives a few so in case they run across anyone interested in switching to the Mac (or who needs something drawn or retouched...I have two different cards relating to each pursuit), they'll have them.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-08-22, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
Put 'em on a sheet, 10-up, and let it rip. It's a vast improvement, it's got all the needed info. I monkeyed with it enough yesterday afternoon to realize it doesn't allow for any big, drastic changes once you get it to this stage (what with fitting everything and stuff). It ties in to your site and stuff, but the info is displayed a little cleaner/more logically, so barring any "stop the presses!" comments from anyone else, that might be what you go with..
I agree. There's things I'd change, but they're all on the content and branding side, things that are probably outside the realm of this thread (and my pay grade ). If everything on the card absolutely has to stay there, I can't really think of a better arrangement. And if he is self-printing, it's not like he can't change later if he decides that he prefers a white card with grey text or whatever. As is, it's a pleasant card that should nicely match his site, door, &c. That's a lot more than can be said for most smallish businesses.

One more thing: I noticed that the address on the card and the address on the bottom of the site are different...?

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2010-08-22, 23:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post

Increasing the font size for the bottom blocks makes it too tight to my name. There are "safe" borders that I force me to move them up a bit too much.
Wow, that looks fantastic now!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2010-08-23, 05:38

Thanks everyone. I'm going to get some card stock Avery thingies and print them on my old job's fancy color laser printer. Any suggestions for doing it two sided?

And Robo, I'm moving offices on Thursday. Into a much nicer space. I'm really looking forward to it.