User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Why do I have to manually mount CompactFlash drives all of a sudden?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Why do I have to manually mount CompactFlash drives all of a sudden?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-10-29, 21:59

Last night, after I got home from my school's Homecoming dance, I popped my CompactFlash card into my printer to download the photos. The status light on the printer blinked, my hard drive made some clicking noises (or whatever part it is that makes that sound when something's going on) but I couldn't see the volume in the Finder and neither iPhoto or Image Capture recognized it. I pulled the card out of the printer and put it back in my camera (a Canon Digital Rebel XT). I plugged in the USB cable but I still couldn't see the drive. I knew the card was functioning because I could still view the photos on the LCD screen (both that of the camera and printer). Then, I put the card into my Canon Powershot S50, but I still couldn't get it to work. I tried plugging the camera into the printer to use PictBridge but the computer still wouldn't recognize the card.

After that I grabbed another card, shot a few quick pictures and started that process over again with the same results.

I was about to give up and become incredibly angry over losing those pictures when I decided to open Disk Utility and see if it could do anything. To my surprise, all I had to do was manually mount the volume. iPhoto launched and I copied the photos to my PowerBook without any problems. None of the files were corrupted.

So, since this seemed like it might be one of those problems which can randomly be fixed by repairing permissions, I tried that. Didn't work.

So, any ideas on why I suddenly have to manually mount CompactFlash cards?

edit: D'oh. Forgot the basics: Canon iP6220D printer, Mac OS X 10.4.8, all the latest updates, 12" PowerBook 867Mhz. Both CompactFlash cards are Lexar, 128MB and 1GB.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2006-10-29, 22:08

If you've pulled off all of the photos, what happens if you reformat your card with your camera?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-10-29, 22:39

It still doesn't work. I tried that with both cards.

edit: If I plug the USB cable into the camera, the camera boots, but doesn't go into file transfer mode.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-10-29, 22:58

Reboot the computer?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-10-29, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
Reboot the computer?

Of course. It's so simple, I hadn't thought of it. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a process I can't interrupt right now so I'll try it tomorrow.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-10-30, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonzie View Post
Reboot the computer?
D'oh! Thank you.