Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

What's YOUR Hobby?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
What's YOUR Hobby?
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Freewell

2009-04-19, 23:35

I know there are some here who have some fascinating hobbies that are truly amazing... Brad's tecno craft projects like chainmail tunics and hi-tech Nerf guns, GSpotter, PB PM, and several others' amazing skills with a camera, Fooboy and turtle2472's affinity for perforating paper, Drew's Pirate treks and Star Trek adventures, 709's Kitchen Concoctions, etc... I have been repeatedly impressed by the 'hidden' skills represented here at AN!

Soo don't laugh now... My hobby is definitely unusual! I like to dress my little ones in cute little matching outfits, and spend a good bit of time shopping for amazing deals that allow me to dress them with champagne taste on a much lighter budget! In fact, my best friend (outside my husband that is) has stated matter-of-factly that shopping is a competitive sport for me!! I just love it though when I score a beautiful, coordinated $100-$200 outfit for around $10 in store... Makes using it far more enjoyable, as I am not paranoid about them accidentally messing it up! So yeah, matching tops, bottoms, socks/tights, sweaters/jackets, shoes, purses (for our daughter of course) hair pretties... The whole nine yards... I LOVE it!

Oh, and researching names and their origins and meaning... Totally fascinated with it! Been doing it since I was a kid!

So what is YOUR hobby?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2009-04-19, 23:42

My hobby is playing guitar/music.

I just started a new band recently with some of my good friends about 2 months ago and we have been working in the studio on and off doing demos and whatnot.

Nothing makes me happier then playing a live show. The feeling is incredible, especially when you have a couple hundred people singing along with you.

We haven't picked a name or set up a myspace yet, but when we do, I will be sure to post it on here so I can get your guys' opinion.

This is my hobby, but I hope to turn it into somewhat of a career.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Freewell

2009-04-19, 23:45

That's awesome, Yontsey! Congrats!!! Music has a special place in my heart... I was quite successful as performer and instructor before I joined the military. So I guess you could say it was my profession, and is now (at best) a hobby! My family is my focus in life now, but I imagine that someday I will return to this love, when the time is right. Keep us posted on things as they progress... And again, Congratulations!!
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-04-19, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewell View Post
Brad's tecno craft projects like chainmail tunics and hi-tech Nerf guns
And don't you forget my completely amateur 3D tinkerings, too!

My current work-in-progress:

Original source:

A cookie crumb to the first to correctly identify this one. Should be super easy.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-19, 23:51

Link's crest? I do recognize it. Now to pinpoint it.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-04-19, 23:51

Close. More specifically?
Freewell

2009-04-19, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
And don't you forget my completely amateur 3D tinkerings, too!

My current work-in-progress:

Original source:

A cookie crumb to the first to identify this one. Should be super easy.
Not bad!! I have to admit, all that computer rendering stuff really wrinkles my brain! If it weren't for my husband, I would be truly computer illiterate!
Freewell

2009-04-19, 23:54

The more I look at that, the more I feel like I can run my fingers over my screen and feel the detail!
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-04-19, 23:56

Brad, nice work!

I have to be honest, though, but the upper left square? It looks lot like a A/C grill to me...
Foj
Veteran Member

2009-04-19, 23:58

Just one?? I don't know if this counts, but when I have the time and gas money, I like to drive to different minor league baseball games. I have a hat from each home team. I'll post a picture of my collection

A knife and a fork, a bottle and a cork, that's the way to spell New York.

Last edited by Foj : 2009-04-20 at 10:58.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-04-19, 23:58

It's the upper portion of the original box for Legend of Zelda. In fact the grille pattern is the finger grip of the cartridge itself. Loved that game when it came out, but never would have gotten anywhere without the Nintendo Power guide/map.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-04-19, 23:59

Yeah the upper left area is kind-of a placeholder. I'm not sure exactly how I want to full in that area since technically it's a hole in the original pic. At the very least, I need to get the "bars" proportioned correctly.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-04-19, 23:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
It's the upper portion of the original box for Legend of Zelda. In fact the grille pattern is the finger grip of the gold cartridge.
WINNAR

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-04-20, 00:00

I knew I recognized it! So close. I loved that game.

Edit:
Freewell

2009-04-20, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foj View Post
Just one?? I don't if this counts, but when I have the time and gas money, I like to drive to different minor league baseball games. I have a hat from each home team. I'll post a picture of my collection
Sure it counts!! In fact, it most certainly trumps shopping for baby clothes on a predominantly male forum! Looking forward to seeing those hats!
¡Damned!

2009-04-20, 00:05

In my free time (when I'm not in the kitchen ) I study architecture, Earth architecture to be specific. Been doing it since my late teens, and even took a year off after school to travel around the American Southwest sketching Indian structures created from adobe and site-specific elements. Rammed-earth, bale, sun-dried blocks, fired earth...it's all fascinating to me.

I like a lot of the modern pre-fab stuff as well, and "found" object designs made from things like shipping containers, but the earthy stuff is where my real interest lies.

Another life, maybe...

So it goes.
Freewell

2009-04-20, 00:10

That's really interesting, 709... I actually lived in the Southwest as a child, and remember seeing stuff like that. I also visited Carlsbad Caverns and remember being amazed at the all natural structures of the inside of the Earth... Really groovy!
Wrao
Yarp

2009-04-20, 00:30

Lifting weights. I'm getting to be pretty decent at it too.
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2009-04-20, 00:39

Amusement parks/coasters/rides, gaming, etc.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-20, 00:49

Writing, drawing/designing, and playing video games (I would have totally earned that cookie if I wasn't making lengthy posts on copyright in another thread). I also play with LEGO () and Magic: the Gathering ( ).

I also, um, design brands. For fun. Like, I know exactly how I would design and brand an e-book reader, if I were to somehow make one. And a game console. And an electric car.

For example, it suddenly struck me that if I became even half as rich as J. K. Rowling, I actually might be able to buy a controlling interest in Saab (when GM inevitably sells it). This thought fascinated me, and I've spent the better part of the last week figuring out exactly how I would position its offerings so as to make Saab truly competitive with its German competitors. (I'd try to make Saab the next Audi, in other words.)

The other "project" that's been taking up my time lately is saving the PlayStation 3. I'd do this by essentially "rebooting" the console, and launching a "new" but fully compatible console, the PlayStation 3D, this holiday season, for a lower price. (The PS3D would feature the DualShock 3D, a regular two-handed gamepad that split into two 3D pointer controllers. This is an improvement over the Wii Remote and Nunchuck, which is a 3D pointer and a motion sensor, and the Sixaxis/DS3, which is just a motion sensor. Some PS3D games would also be compatible with 3D TVs, but this would not be required.)

So, um, yeah...I'm kind of a nerd like that.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-04-20, 00:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Why the sour face? That's some good shit right there, man.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-20, 01:07

Quote:
I don't know, it just seems sort of stupid. It just comes naturally, to me. And I've made some money doing it (identity work), but I don't really find working for hire as satisfying or as meaningful as creating my own content. I'd worry that I would take my best ideas and "save" them, in case I ever was making a e-book/console/car. There'd always be a conflict of interest, because I'm interested in so many things.

Late last year I decided that I needed to pursue something that I really felt was meaningful; I'm just the type of person who can't not do something I find fulfilling. I love identity work and pretty logos but I think there'd always be that regret, that it wasn't my e-book I was naming.

I love reading "entrepreneurial" stories, stories about two guys in a garage with a big idea. I'd like to think it could still happen.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Wrao
Yarp

2009-04-20, 01:07

Quote:
Sometimes I think this site should be hidden from the internet!
Freewell

2009-04-20, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKIDelirium View Post
Amusement parks/coasters/rides, gaming, etc.
I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE rollercoasters!!! Guess I've come a long way since I was 7 and my Dad forced me to ride one much against my will. Been addicted ever since!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-20, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Sometimes I think this site should be hidden from the internet!
Wrao
Yarp

2009-04-20, 01:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I love reading "entrepreneurial" stories, stories about two guys in a garage with a big idea. I'd like to think it could still happen.
I think that it can. I mean, look at some of the websites that have popped up in the last 5 years or so and steadily become extraordinarily popular. I know that myself and most of the world thought Twitter was pretty worthless when it debuted, but now look at it!
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-20, 01:27

@ Brad: Maybe a Triforce for the open area?

I have too many hobbies for one lifetime, though I'm not sure all of them would count as hobbies, but here they are:

I study classical and colloquial Tibetan (in school, but also for personal use... eventually!), practice meditation every day (is religion a hobby?), play guitar, write music on guitar and keyboard (I'll post a link once I've finished my album... don't hold your breath!), do photography, read (religion, sci-fi, etc.)... I'd get a DnD Campaign going if I had the time, and I'd travel a lot if I had the money. I'm hoping to go to Tibet in a year or two, or at least to Ladak or Dharamsala.

I also love going for walks (and bringing along the camera) with my lovely wife when the weather is decent.

If I had more time (i.e. if I didn't have to sleep), I'd learn to paint, do woodworking, animation, design a video game or two...

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-04-20, 01:29

I have a few hobbies, aside from photography, I also like writing stories, although I have to be in the right mood. I currently have a story which contains over 200 hand written pages, which need to be typed/edited etc. Sad part is I've not been in the right mood to work on it in over a year. I also like to build custom PCs, but that is also not something I've done much of as of late either.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-20, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
@ Brad: Maybe a Triforce for the open area?
If it helps, on later editions of the game without the window (such as the "Classic NES Series" GBA port), they replaced that section of the shield with another heart, making it sort of symmetrical:

So there you go. That's the "official" window-less version of the shield; I don't know if Brad wants to keep the gold bars or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox
is religion a hobby?
I think it's best if religion is a hobby. Religion should be something you think about when lying awake at night, to make life more interesting. It shouldn't ever be some prescribed dogma that you revolve your life around, because no one really knows.

All MHO, of course

Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-20, 02:07

Actually, I'd describe my religion as a way of being, or perhaps even better as a way of becoming. but it can look like a hobby sometimes .

I see the aspects of it which are "working on myself" (i.e. practices to develop mindfulness or compassion) as being hobby-like, in the same way that carving is a hobby for some (but I'm the carver and the carved).

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!