User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Just For FUN...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Just For FUN...
Freewell

2009-04-20, 01:43

Soo... If you were an animal, which one do you think you would be? (Pictures required! )

I have differing opinions on this one, but usually come back around to an otter. I am quite playful, a bit mischevious, and sociable with a thread of orneriness throughout!

If I were an otter, I may even swipe your beer for fun! heh heh So... what animal do you fancy yourself as?

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-20, 01:47

A panda.

Cute, cuddly, and vegetarian.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2009-04-20, 02:12

According to my wife, this is me:

Although I prefer to think of myself like this:

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
hflomberg

2009-04-20, 13:12

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-20, 13:20

Quite the cliche, but... wolf. Studied with a Cherokee shaman years ago, and that was the totem that kept coming up, and extremely strongly. And you know, it fits. Strongly social and a keeper of civility, but fine with being solitary; loyal but expects same in return; an intelligent puzzle solver with a keen environmental sense; can be blindly single-minded; meets attacks with attacks but will avoid a needless conflict if possible; prefers to know where they stand in the social setting; will lead if there is no other, but will follow a stronger leader if one proves themselves...

Yeah, kinda fits.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-20, 13:33

Haha. If I was a shaman I'd tell everybody that they were a wolf, because that's what everyone wants to hear.

Maybe I'd make it like, Shamantology. You could progress to the level of Cleared Wolf Clear, but only if you bought me a yacht.

You do sound wolfie though. Plus, it's an excuse to post pictures:

Aww.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-20, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
Haha. If I was a shaman I'd tell everybody that they were a wolf, because that's what everyone wants to hear.
I know! There was actually much embarrassment about it. "Wolf." "... Oh really." "Yeah... really. Huh." "What?" "Definitely wolf." "Oh come on." "*You* want to argue with your totem? That's what I'm being told." "Come on, every white dude with an inferiority complex wants you to say they're a wolf." "So you have an inferiority complex?" "Wha? No, I'm just saying..." "I'm screwing with you, but it's definitely wolf... which is odd, because you're the first white dude I've met with Wolf peeking over his shoulder. Usually you guys are bear, fox or raven." "Huh." "Yeah, huh." "Well I am 1/32 Cherokee." "Oh don't fuck with me, paleface."

It was a good experience, those months.

I volunteered at a wolf refuge for a while, and learning to howl with them was... wonderful. I can usually gauge how well a dog and I will get along based on how it responds to a good howl. If it joins in, we're going to get along *fine*. If it turns into a yapping freaked out ball of fur... we're not.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2009-04-20, 13:50

I just think it's funny that totems are always badass macho things like wolves or bears* or hawks. You never hear anybody be all like, "my spirit totem is a goldfish" or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I volunteered at a wolf refuge for a while, and learning to howl with them was... wonderful. I can usually gauge how well a dog and I will get along based on how it responds to a good howl. If it joins in, we're going to get along *fine*. If it turns into a yapping freaked out ball of fur... we're not.
That is so interesting! Although if I was a dog I would probably be a little freaked out if a person started howling at me too

*Number one threat to America

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-04-20, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman View Post
I just think it's funny that totems are always badass macho things like wolves or bears* or hawks. You never hear anybody be all like, "my spirit totem is a goldfish" or anything.
Yeah... although deer, badger, fox, orca, salmon, mouse, and marmot are all ones I've encountered. It's a pretty slick pre-Jungian personality archetype taxonomy, actually. If you're conversant in the archetypes, you can say "They're a bear" or "They're a badger" and someone else will know how that person reacts to stimulus, what their personality is like, how they interact with others, etc. There's no real concept of 'better' in totems, just what 'is'. The archetypes are based on watching the animals' behaviors, and then applying them to human behaviors. Once you find one that 'clicks', it's a nice touchstone at times, since it gives you a baseline to go against. It's easier to recognize when you're acting against your own nature, sabotaging yourself, or just being a dickhead.

What it *isn't* is an excuse to *be* a dickhead because "Dude, I'm a wolf! RAR!"

Quote:
That is so interesting! Although if I was a dog I would probably be a little freaked out if a person started howling at me too
What's funny is which ones *don't* freak out, but just gleefully join in. Somewhere, it hit a nerve with them, and they react.

Quote:
*Number one threat to America
Except for bears with lasers.